Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #7176
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are white cows raised for beef, too.

Just FYI.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #7177
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
In all my time at AW, I have never put someone else's quote in my sig before (despite the recent proliferation of such things).

But I am sorely, sorely tempted with this one.

You should do it.

Quote:
Well, Jesus didn't have to put up with Lent, either, seeing he was Jewish.

And this made me because me preggo brain is off being pregnant or something.

Plus, I just looked up capybara and now I want one for a pet. They look cute!

WIPs
SF Novel: Moon Dragons First Draft COMPLTETED 90,832 words, Resting
Flash: "Joy Eats Fear" 799 words, Revising
Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 12,000 words

Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #7178
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
You should do it.
You only say that because it's yours.

FleasTwits
Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #7179
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
There are white cows raised for beef, too.

Just FYI.

Oh good, so then we are equal opportunity cow killers. Good to know.

WIPs

Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #7180
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
You only say that because it's yours.

No, of course not. I say it because it's awesome.

WIPs

Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #7181
joeyc
practical experience, FTW

joeyc is on a distinguished road
Hello, AW people.

How is everyone doing tonight?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #7182
eyeblink
New quinquagenarian

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
That earns a minimum of ten points in some circles
Thanks for the support everyone (both here and in reps). After four and a bit years in AW and three and a half thousand posts, it's not happened to me before.

It was past my bedtime (after dozing off mid-evening) and I've now slept and got up again. I do stand by what I said - I'm currently reading an SF novel which is up for the BSFA Award which is way overlong and that's not the only reason why I'm. Not. Getting.On.With.It. (Is there a gritted-teeth smiley?)

I'll name and shame - it's Adam Roberts's By Light Alone. I'll vent about it in the "What Are You Reading?" thread when I get a moment. I've got China Miéville's Embassytown up next, and even a fan of his (who fancies the pants off him) told me his writing can get self-indulgent.

I've read one other novel by both writers - Roberts's Yellow Blue Tibia and Miéville's The City & The City - when both were up for the 2010 BSFA (Miéville won). Both novels I found not uninteresting but failed to blow me away and wore out their welcome for me. I remember comments that City was a "short" Miéville novel - it's still 103,000 words.

Anyway, back to much procrastinated-against review and the dayjob in three hours' time. Sleep well, American branch of the Cantina, and hope the Antipodean chapter is having a good evening.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft. Agent-hunting.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 28,814 words and counting

"Mourning Becomes Me" (novella) 32,365 words. With betas.

Last edited by eyeblink; 02-20-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #7183
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeblink View Post
Thanks for the support everyone (both here and in reps). After four and a bit years in AW and three and a half thousand posts, it's not happened to me before.
Wait wait wait. I went back and read the posts in the other thread about novel length (no, that's not stalker-y at all, I swear; I was just curious!). Somebody jumped on you for that? Hell, I was expected arterial spray or something. This was just a dissenting opinion, presented firmly but without unnecessary bloodshed.

I no understandz.

I agree with your argument over there. I've been avoiding reading Jonathan Strange for this very reason. I like the concept of the book. But I look at 1) the length, and 2) the language and go, "Oh, jeez, is the story worth wading through all this?"

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 9/19/14: October Flurry: Sweeney Todd
Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #7184
eyeblink
New quinquagenarian

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I did notice how SP made it personal by offering to list her own books under 90k. But I think people know what I meant by "major publishers" - in our particular genres in the UK it's five or six big names which are all owned by multinational companies.

Ebook publishing is another matter entirely, and I stress that I have nothing against it, indeed have friends who have or have had ebook-only publishing deals. And of course you have more opportunities to publish shorter work there.

As I said over there, I have read some very long novels, Jonathan Strange among them. GRRM's A Storm of Swords and Mary Gentle's Ash kept me going through long-haul flights and they are respectively 425k and (my estimate) 450k. I enjoyed all of them.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft. Agent-hunting.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #7185
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeblink View Post
I did notice how SP made it personal by offering to list her own books under 90k. But I think people know what I meant by "major publishers" - in our particular genres in the UK it's five or six big names which are all owned by multinational companies.

Ebook publishing is another matter entirely, and I stress that I have nothing against it, indeed have friends who have or have had ebook-only publishing deals. And of course you have more opportunities to publish shorter work there.

As I said over there, I have read some very long novels, Jonathan Strange among them. GRRM's A Storm of Swords and Mary Gentle's Ash kept me going through long-haul flights and they are respectively 425k and (my estimate) 450k. I enjoyed all of them.
E-pub or traditional, Big Six or indie, short, long, very long, o-dear-god-it-has-its-own-gravity-well long, it comes down to, "Is it a good story?" I've read good ones, both long and short. I've read bad. When they're terrific, I don't even notice the length. When they're bad, I can't NOT notice the length.

I hate reading a book that's terrific, and getting to the end and going, "Wait, where's the rest of it?" I also REALLY hate getting two-thirds of the way through a book and going, "Please, God, is it ever going to end?"

Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #7186
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Eye- try this guy-

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #7187
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good morning cantinas

I'm just making the tea.

Calling all demotivated and unwriting folk. Is anyone up for some ninja writing this afternoon - my time? I'll be around at about 2:30 (world clock here, I live in the UK) for about an hour or so for definite.

I'll post how many words I do if anyone wants a challenge of trying to beat it.

I need to read the last three chapters of my current book as well so I can take it back when the Feb reading book comes available in the library.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #7188
eyeblink
New quinquagenarian

Thanks, everyone. I've even a rep from someone I don't remember posting in here. We obviously have some lurkers here - hi there! Hope you enjoy the show.

Off to the dayjob now.

Works in progress:

Old 02-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #7189
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyc View Post
Hello, AW people.

Hi, Joey, have we met? I'm Junely! Pull up a chair, sit a spell.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #7190
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
Good morning cantinas
Calling all demotivated and unwriting folk. Is anyone up for some ninja writing this afternoon - my time? I'll be around at about 2:30 (world clock here, I live in the UK) for about an hour or so for definite.

I'll post how many words I do if anyone wants a challenge of trying to beat it.
That's about 9:30 Eastern Standard, right? I hate time zones.

I'm not all that unmotivated, but can I play anyway? Ninja writing is fun.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #7191
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenika View Post

We should make a relative crazy list to see which of us is the maddest hatter by popular vote. 10 gets most self delusional
That is just... mean. Et tu, Fens? Et tu?!

Quote:

I'll be around for that Yay!

Morning, peeps. Starting the Week of Doom today. Wrote some yesterday. EvilPants is finally getting somewhere again.

Blog

New Blog Post: How to Avoid Writing Bad Erotica

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: "writing" a "query"

Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:

10s
Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #7192
Psychomacologist
The Sarcasm Fairy

Psychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Guys there is officially too much going on. In here and in real life. *flails wildly*

So I came into work today with a list of things to get done in the morning. Then something else landed on my lap (a press release that needs to get written and sent TODAY, right NOW) so everything is on hold until that's done. Just chucked it together now and sent it to people for approval.

Hectic job is hectic.

*waves at new people*

Howdy all. I am the official and best Psycho, also known as Pony Mac, AND NO OTHER NICKNAMES *glares pointedly at 10s*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
I also REALLY hate getting two-thirds of the way through a book and going, "Please, God, is it ever going to end?"
That's the time to start skimming. I have a very short attention span so if things don't grab me I tend to give up and move on. Except now that I'm reading for research I can't really do that - I have to force myself through things more than I would if I were reading purely for pleasure.

Morning folks. Whut up?

Twitter|Blog

I drew a map of the Cantina once. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

WIPS:

SF Novella: 36,000 words, query in QLH
Fantasy (researching)
Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #7193
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomacologist View Post
Guys there is officially too much going on. In here and in real life. *flails wildly*
Do they make a decaffeinated tea? You should find out.

Quote:
Howdy all. I am the official and best Psycho, also known as Pony Mac, AND NO OTHER NICKNAMES *glares pointedly at 10s*
I always want to call you "Fati" but in my accent that comes out "Fatty" or "Farty" and that's just rude.

Quote:
That's the time to start skimming. I have a very short attention span so if things don't grab me I tend to give up and move on. Except now that I'm reading for research I can't really do that - I have to force myself through things more than I would if I were reading purely for pleasure.
I feel like such a slut when I skim. "Hi, I'm a big ho. I'm not in this book to have fun, i'm just here to make my quota and move on to the next big piece of... " Well, I'll leave it there.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #7194
Psychomacologist
The Sarcasm Fairy

Psychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
But... but... how would I function without the caffeine?

Quote:
I always want to call you "Fati" but in my accent that comes out "Fatty" or "Farty" and that's just rude.
Well you can call me that if you want... It's better than 10s Nickname-That-Shall-Not-Be-Mentioned...

And I have to go to a training session that lasts most of the afternoon. The joy. It overwhelms me. Ugh.

Oh well, nearly time for lunch

Twitter|Blog

I drew a map of the Cantina once. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

WIPS:

SF Novella: 36,000 words, query in QLH
Fantasy (researching)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #7195
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyc View Post
Hello, AW people.

Hi there Joey

Quote:
Pull up a chair, sit a spell.
Whenever I see you write this I always wonder which meaning of the word 'spell' you really mean.

Quote:
That's about 9:30 Eastern Standard, right? I hate time zones.

I'm not all that unmotivated, but can I play anyway? Ninja writing is fun.
I have no idea, it's about three hours from the time of this message. I hate time zones too. And of course, you can join in, the more the merrier Er, no, not that kind of merry.

I thought if I could get something going on a regular basis then anyone could call in when they needed it as our motivation levels go up and down. I know I joined AW to get this kind of writing group feel so I decided that as you only get out what you put in I'd do something. Ooops, waffle mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
I'll be around for that Yay!

Morning, peeps. Starting the Week of Doom today. Wrote some yesterday. EvilPants is finally getting somewhere again.
Great. Er, week of doom? evilpants? Do I want to know. Sounds like some sort of US bad fashion week.

Quote:
Passes Kermit hands *wonders if Kermit had hands*

Quote:
But you are the sarcasm fairy. Or is that not a nickname?

Quote:
Decaff tea in this country is awful.

I have had a good morning topped off when I went into the charity shop to get part 1 of Dark Tower for £1.99. They had an offer on - 3 books for a £1 and I found parts 3 & 4 as well. I was only going to get no.1 as they have 2 to 7 in the library (No, I don't know either). Result!

Right, lunch time and then do chores before mad ninja writing session. See you in a couple of hours.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 02-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #7196
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

Quote:
Decaff tea in this country is awful.
There, fixed it for you!

Yeah, yeah, I know, "Burn the witch!" and "Heresy!" and all those other things. I'm so ashamed.

Not!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #7197
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

Quote:
Whenever I see you write this I always wonder which meaning of the word 'spell' you really mean.
Wouldn't YOU like to know, heh heh heh

(and watch out for the barstools)

Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #7198
aliwood

Quote:
There, fixed it for you!

Yeah, yeah, I know, "Burn the witch!" and "Heresy!" and all those other things. I'm so ashamed.

Not!
So that's why you folks chucked the tea in the harbour then?

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #7199
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Great. Er, week of doom? evilpants? Do I want to know. Sounds like some sort of US bad fashion week.
You know not of the wonder that is EvilPants?

EvilPants is my MC

It's not his actual name, but I usually refer to him as EvilPants, to the point where I once wrote 1500 words of "Lord EvilPants" until I realized that no, that was in fact not his name and I had to do a find and replace.

Week of Doom refers to my week stuffed to the brim with doctor's appointments, Big New Client Meetings, council meetings and party meetins. Ugh.

Blog

New Blog Post: How to Avoid Writing Bad Erotica

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: "writing" a "query"

Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:

10s
Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #7200
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

Quote:
Well you can call me that if you want... It's better than 10s Nickname-That-Shall-Not-Be-Mentioned...
You mean "Poo?"

I'm sure she means it affectionately.

FleasTwits
Closed Thread