Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
RaineeRose
We're moving on...

RaineeRose is a splendid one to beholdRaineeRose is a splendid one to beholdRaineeRose is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Littlefield View Post
When I went to the bookstore during lunch today, the grammar book was still there, so I bought it for $25.00.

It's by Richard Green Parker A.M., 20th Edition, published 1855. Pretty good condition for a book over 150 years old.

All I have to say is....wow. Another book for my old book collection.

I came here tonight just to find out if you bought it. So glad you did! Sounds like an excellent find.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #27
Jess Haines
Boldly going nowhere in particular.

Jess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for President
Ahh, sorry, I was busy with copy edits over the weekend and didn't have enough time to reply before the firewall went up at my office yesterday.

Very glad the book was still there! Sounds like a very interesting book. Have you had a chance to leaf through it at all yet? Any neat advice or anything in it stick out?

"It doesn't get much better for pure urban fantasy than Jess Haines." --All Things Urban Fantasy

Forsaken by the Others: Coming July 2, 2013
Jess Haines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #28
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Jess,

I have leafed through it, and it's pretty interesting. Here's some of their definitions for different words having to do with composition:

Climax: an artful exaggeration of all the circumstances of some object or action, which we wish to place in a strong light. It operates by a gradual rise of one circumstance above another, till our idea is raised to the highest pitch.

Example: Boisterous in speech, in action prompt and bold,
He bays, he sells, he steals, her kills for gold.

Hyperbole: a writer, under the influence of strong excitement, sometimes uses extravagant expression, which he does not intend shall be taken literally.

Example:
A rescued land
Sent up a ghost of victory from the field,
That rocked her ancient mountains.

This is really a fun book!

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #29
Jess Haines

Jess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for President
It sounds like it! Man, I want to find a nifty book like this now.

I have a couple of interesting older books I'll have to dig up to share with you guys. Been waiting for my roommate to build the bookshelf he got for Christmas so I could move his stuff off of my bookshelf and rearrange my things, but I might be able to find some of the neat ones before I tear apart my room. Will check over the weekend and post what I find.

"It doesn't get much better for pure urban fantasy than Jess Haines." --All Things Urban Fantasy

Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #30
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Jess,

Can't wait!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #31
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Jess,

I have leafed through it, and it's pretty interesting. Here's some of their definitions for different words having to do with composition:

Climax: an artful exaggeration of all the circumstances of some object or action, which we wish to place in a strong light. It operates by a gradual rise of one circumstance above another, till our idea is raised to the highest pitch.

Example: Boisterous in speech, in action prompt and bold,
He bays, he sells, he steals, her kills for gold.

Hyperbole: a writer, under the influence of strong excitement, sometimes uses extravagant expression, which he does not intend shall be taken literally.

Example:
A rescued land
Sent up a ghost of victory from the field,
That rocked her ancient mountains.

This is really a fun book!
These are rhetorical figures, which were customarily taught as perhaps the primary facet of composition.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #32
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Lisa,

Members here have talked about the value of the older grammar books, and I now have one over 150 years old. It's so exciting to read about how literature was taught and the different definitions of its parts with examples.

Another cool thing about this book is that an essay has been written in the blank pages after the index, but the pencil has faded so much that I cannot read what it says. In the front is a note of some kind dated December 5th 1855 by "Mollie Ollie Mollie."

Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #33
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Another cool thing about this book is that an essay has been written in the blank pages after the index, but the pencil has faded so much that I cannot read what it says. In the front is a note of some kind dated December 5th 1855 by "Mollie Ollie Mollie."
The idea of an "essay" (versus a more formally structured piece of writing derived from older Classical models) was the Hot New Thing just before the civil war launched; it was the "new progressive way to teach."

For fun, watch for Webster's Spelling Manual and Spelling Handbook, and the McGuffey Readers; you'll be amazed at what little kids were expected to do.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #34
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Lisa,

Members here have talked about the value of the older grammar books, and I now have one over 150 years old. It's so exciting to read about how literature was taught and the different definitions of its parts with examples.

Oh, I'd so love to see that!
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #35
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Lisa,

The inside page of the book specifies that this particular book is for students of ALL ages, up to those working toward degrees. I will keep my eyes open for the other books you mentioned.

MC, maybe I ought to take a few pictures for fun!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #36
Jess Haines

I'd love to see pictures!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #37
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Smile

Jess,

Here you go. I can't figure out how to increase the size of the photo without them getting all blurry. Small, they are perfectly clear, but too small to really view.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #38
Jess Haines

Sorry I've been away, got super sick starting on Friday and am only just getting back on my feet. I'll dig up my own books over this weekend.

Susan, very sorry, looks like our firewall at the office is blocking the pics. I'll have to come back to the thread to view on my own computer at home tonight or this weekend.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #39
CChampeau
The ever absent-minded

CChampeau is on a distinguished road
My mom has a bookshelf full of leather-bound classics. Which she never reads.
Sigh.
At least they look pretty...

"The truth will set you free."
CChampeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #40
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

CC:

I love old books, and I love to read them as well. None are leather covers, though, just the old-time hard covers. That is, except for my Longfellow edition with the green cloth cover.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #41
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Haines View Post
Sorry I've been away, got super sick starting on Friday and am only just getting back on my feet. I'll dig up my own books over this weekend.

Susan, very sorry, looks like our firewall at the office is blocking the pics. I'll have to come back to the thread to view on my own computer at home tonight or this weekend.
I would love to see pictures of your books as well, or at least know which are in your collection.