Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > TIO
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #2051
Amadan
Toaster

Amadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrimson View Post
All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

I'm agog with anticipation.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #2052
DBrimson
banned as an incurable tosspot

DBrimson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayeahyeah View Post
Hi Dougie.

Speaking of concerning issues regarding reviews, given the above few posts include discussion of a reviewer receiving death threats from a fan of author Ellen Giffin, can I ask if you still think 'naming and shaming' people you believe belong to the Amazon Review Mafia is a good idae?

I would never name nor shame anyone and I would certainly hope that the forces of law and order would deal with anyone who makes such threats.

However, whilst this is an extreme case, it is sadly not the only one I have heard of some of which involve reviewers contacting and threatening authors. Indeed my very real fear is that at some point someone is going to tip over the edge and we will have a serious issue to contend with.

But this isn't simply an issue of authors reacting badly to reviews, it's much bigger than that. It's authors failing to understand what reviews actually mean and how to deal with them (or not as the case may be) as well as failing to understand the responsibilities they have to potential readers when they put work up for sale. It's also about reviewers pushing buttons to provoke reactions whilst hiding behind a cloak of perceived anonymity.

And that's just the start!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #2053
yayeahyeah
practical experience, FTW

yayeahyeah has a spectacular aura
Quote:
I must also be clear that I have not nor will I publicly name anyone involved in this matter.
Glad to hear that, Dougie! You might want to get in touch with your friends at STGRB who posted what they claimed was a private message from you saying that you had offered to help them expose these people.

http://stopthegrbullies.com/2012/07/...-review-mafia/

Given their track record includes publishing real names, locations, and where people work I assumed that your offer meant that you were intending to help them do this - I'm very pleased to hear you're not going to stoop that low.

http://gossamerobsessions.blogspot.c...s-on-fire.html

YA Contemporary - Showcasing contemporary YA novels
Old 08-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #2054
willietheshakes
Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.

willietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcha View Post

Crazy behaviour is to be expected among the riffraff, but it's shocking when a commercially published author acts up.
At this point in time, and given the evidence?

Yes.

Black Feathers -- 2015
Walk Like A Man -- 2011
Bedtime Story -- 2010
The World More Full of Weeping -- 2009
Before I Wake -- 2006
Old 08-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #2055
Amadan
Toaster

Amadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Glad to hear that, Dougie! You might want to get in touch with your friends at STGRB who posted what they claimed was a private message from you saying that you had offered to help them expose these people.

http://stopthegrbullies.com/2012/07/...-review-mafia/

Oops. Busted.

Also, I had a look at the STGRB post about Emily Giffin. They really aren't criticizing Giffin, they're just saying she didn't handle the "bullies" who are picking on her well.

Loved this too:

Quote:
Now, Melissa Douthit has been pretty quiet these past couple months, staying out of all the chaos swirling around the book community, which is why we were surprised to see her finally break her silence and step in to set the record straight:

Wow, I'm totally fooledconvinced, aren't you?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 AM   #2056
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
The second comment... well, none of us really have any idea of the motivation of the STGRB person. Speculating that it's because of jealousy suggests that there's a hierarchy at work, right? and that commercial publication is something to admire while self-publication is not, just as a tiger cub is something special while a house cat (no matter how absolutely adorable!) is not.
He is adorable, isn't he?

You can posit the existence of a hierarchy without being contemptuous of those you may perceive* as lower down in it than yourself, surely? Do you think Uncle Jim is also slamming the Great Unpublished like myself who might well envy someone in, say, his position?

*rightly or wrongly

Also

Ok, I read the post regarding the Amazon Review Mafia (rly?). Is it really that surprising, on the face of it, that there should be an overlap in membership between here, GR, and Amazon, which are all are sites about...books*?

(*yes, Amazon sells other things too, I know)
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed

Last edited by Buffysquirrel; 08-24-2012 at 02:52 AM. Reason: a different thought popped up
Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #2057
DBrimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
Oops. Busted.

How exactly am I 'busted'? Because my email was quoted on STGRB? Big deal.

It's no secret that I gave my permission for them to do that nor is it any secret that I've corresponded with the owners of the site. Indeed, I've just commented on a thread there.

I've nothing to hide, I'll talk to anybody about this issue because I want to try and bring about some kind of resolution for the good of both reviewers and authors. After all, damage is being done to both sides here and no one is winning. Least of all publishing.

However, what I will say with regard to STGRB is that whilst IF TRUE not everything they've done in the past would sit comfortably with me, I certainly don't believe all of the negative hype about them. Indeed, I've seen plenty of equally unacceptable things posted on both Amazon and Goodreads yet they have passed by with barely a comment.

At the end of the day, it's all very well for reviewers to condemn authors who react badly to negative reviews, but no one forces the reviewers to react to those comments. Maybe if a few people remembered that, we'd have less problems to worry about.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #2058
VanessaNorth
Purple hair, not prose.

VanessaNorth is a glorious beacon of lightVanessaNorth is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
How exactly am I 'busted'? Because my email was quoted on STGRB? Big deal.

It's no secret that I gave my permission for them to do that nor is it any secret that I've corresponded with the owners of the site. Indeed, I've just commented on a thread there.

I've nothing to hide, I'll talk to anybody about this issue because I want to try and bring about some kind of resolution for the good of both reviewers and authors. After all, damage is being done to both sides here and no one is winning. Least of all publishing.

However, what I will say with regard to STGRB is that whilst IF TRUE not everything they've done in the past would sit comfortably with me, I certainly don't believe all of the negative hype about them. Indeed, I've seen plenty of equally unacceptable things posted on both Amazon and Goodreads yet they have passed by with barely a comment.

At the end of the day, it's all very well for reviewers to condemn authors who react badly to negative reviews, but no one forces the reviewers to react to those comments. Maybe if a few people remembered that, we'd have less problems to worry about.
We'd probably have fewer problems to worry about if all authors everywhere acted like grownups.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #2059
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
...whilst IF TRUE...
Oh, it's true all right.

But I'm fascinated. Could you tell me which reviewers called up which authors at home to tell them to commit suicide? Could you mention which reviewers posted which authors' home addresses and suggested that they should be "stopped"?

There's a good side and a bad side here. And STGRB is on the bad side. Those who ally with her, who offer to help her, join her on the bad side.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #2060
yayeahyeah

Quote:

However, what I will say with regard to STGRB is that whilst IF TRUE not everything they've done in the past would sit comfortably with me, I certainly don't believe all of the negative hype about them.
Did you click on the link I directed you to?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #2061
DBrimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
Oh, it's true all right.

But I'm fascinated. Could you tell me which reviewers called up which authors at home to tell them to commit suicide? Could you mention which reviewers posted which authors' home addresses and suggested that they should be "stopped"?

There's a good side and a bad side here. And STGRB is on the bad side. Those who ally with her, who offer to help her, join her on the bad side.
Are you aware that there is growing suspicion that large parts of this story are nothing more than a marketing ploy?

And there is good and bad on both sides. The trouble is, people are so entrenched that they don't want to see it.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #2062
DBrimson

Quote:
Did you click on the link I directed you to?

I did. It's not even one side of what is clearly a very complicated and contentious story.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #2063
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
Oh, it's true all right.

Quote:
Are you aware that there is growing suspicion that large parts of this story are nothing more than a marketing ploy?

And there is good and bad on both sides. The trouble is, people are so entrenched that they don't want to see it.
*Bolding Mine*

Say ?

I've been reading this thread for a long time, and this just confuses the hell out of me.

Please explain.

WIPs
SF Novel: Moon Dragons First Draft COMPLTETED 90,832 words, Resting
Flash: "Joy Eats Fear" 799 words, Revising
Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 12,000 words

Old 08-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #2064
thebloodfiend
Cory

thebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Really? Links?

All of us can read. It's very cut and dry in regards to STGRB.

Unless you have some secrety-secret source of info beyond that of what we're aware of, I have no idea what you're talking about. STGRB has never done anything positive.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #2065
yayeahyeah

Quote:
I did. It's not even one side of what is clearly a very complicated and contentious story.
Did you look at the screenshots showing the confidential information that STGRB had posted?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #2066
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
People acting like people is a far more likely explanation than a very subtle marketing ploy for who-knows-what.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:45 AM   #2067
DBrimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodfiend View Post
Really? Links?

All of us can read. It's very cut and dry in regards to STGRB.

Unless you have some secrety-secret source of info beyond that of what we're aware of, I have no idea what you're talking about. STGRB has never done anything positive.

It's all over the Amazon forums. Pop over and have a look yourself.

I totally disagree... it's kick started the debate and provided an alternative opinion on a problem which is clearly growing.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #2068
DBrimson

Quote:
Did you look at the screenshots showing the confidential information that STGRB had posted?
Yes. And I'm happy with the explanation provided by the people at STGRB regarding the background to those posts and the reasons why they were taken down.

To repeat myself I do not advocate the posting of personal information on the internet in any way shape or form. However, it is also worth noting that if people go on the attack, they have to understand that one day someone is going to turn round and fight back. Sometimes, that person will fight dirty, it's human nature. So the best thing to do is not attack.

Last edited by DBrimson; 08-24-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #2069
Amadan
Toaster

Quote:

Do enlighten us. We're all very active readers who pay attention to blogs, reviews, publishers and authors, Amazon, Goodreads, we're all over, so please tell us the startling facts you are in possession of which we have overlooked.

This "everyone looks equally bad" crap is just that - crap. It's what the people on the bad side always say. Sure, of course there are reviewers who are assholes and write stupid things. But there is a huge differential here.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #2070
thebloodfiend
Cory

thebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
It's all over the Amazon forums. Pop over and have a look yourself.

I totally disagree... it's kick started the debate and provided an alternative opinion on a problem which is clearly growing.
An alternative opinion?

Can you explain your other point? And give a link? I'm not going to go searching for info that you should provide if you make the claim.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:53 AM   #2071
yayeahyeah

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
So do you agree that their behaviour when they did that was despicable?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #2072
yayeahyeah

Quote:
Yes. And I'm happy with the explanation provided by the people at STGRB regarding the background to those posts and the reasons why they were taken down.
What reasons are they? I thought the STGRB mob were just completely denying they ever posted that?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:11 AM   #2073
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I did some of the work for you DB, and I don't think it's much in your favor.

I found his original thread on Amazon. Here

It's freakishly long and somewhere towards the end it gets way off track but the first couple pages are very much like it's been here for the last few.

Just sayin'

WIPs

Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #2074
thebloodfiend
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
I found his original thread on Amazon.
I love the first reply.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #2075
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodfiend View Post
I love the first reply.
I know right? So clever.

Anyway, DB, I'd love to know what you're trying to accomplish here.

WIPs

Closed Thread