Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #201
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like a NaNo novel

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising in October

Little Gifts: Plotting for NaNo
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #202
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybegenius View Post
Personally I'm really hoping for an upswing in adventure stories. I looooove adventure stories.

But I'll settle for zombie pirate were-puppies, I guess.
Oh, I'd love to see some real action/adventure stories grab a bite. It's a hard genre to define and do really well. Doesn't Alten and Rollins do this stuff?

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #203
Megx1987
figuring it all out

Megx1987 is on a distinguished road
I'd kind of love to see some more YA novels that feature teens involved in top secret organizations (like the CIA or the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad). Not silly versions of those stories like that one movie Frankie Muniz was in, forever ago, but serious versions like Hanna with Saoirse Ronan.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #204
warofthesparks
I know what happened to Baby Jane.

warofthesparks is on a distinguished road
I don't know what'll be the next big thing, but I know it will be different. Nathan Bransford said back in early 2008 that the next big thing would be nothing like Harry Potter, and then along came Twilight. The Hunger Games is probably the next big thing, and that's nothing like Twilight, so the next big thing will be nothing like The Hunger Games.
warofthesparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #205
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I feel like YA horror is starting to get hot. There are few done well, but many new ones are coming out.

I'm hoping YA thrillers are about to have their breakthrough, as I'm editing mine.
MysteryRiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #206
huu
Can't wait till the draft's done...

huu is on a distinguished road
I hope a shift away from dystopian into a more broad sci-fi erupts onto the scene.

huu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #207
shiva777
"Every Word is a Spell"

shiva777 is on a distinguished road
It seems like subject like paranormal and sci-fi have a virtually unlimited amount of plots and ideas and so might be around for a while. I'm writing a very original paranormal YA fiction and there's not a werewolf or vampire in sight. :-)
shiva777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #208
KalenO
practical experience, FTW

KalenO is a shiny, shiny jewelKalenO is a shiny, shiny jewel
Well the thing about trends is they rise in the wake of Big Books, as imitators spawn and publishers look for books they can use to grab readers of that Big Book. Paranormal was on the rise and selling well when Twilight hit shelves, but its only in the wake of Twilight's mega success that the huge paranormal trend/glut hit. Ditto with dystopian. Hunger Games wasn't the first, but it was the Big Book that turned it into a trend.

So sci-fi, thrillers and horror may all be on the rise right now, but it'll be when the next Big Book arrives and seizes attention in the way Twilight and Hunger Games did that one of them (or something else) will turn into a trend the way we consider dystopian and paranormal to be trends. Right now those three are trends in the sense that lots of agents and editors are looking for them, thinking/hoping the next Big Book will be one of them, but that's still a very different thing from the dystopian/paranormal trends.
KalenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #209
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have a friend here at AW who just released a ghost story and the damn thing sold like hotcakes, even at the $9.99 e-book price. I was quite shocked, but pleasantly surprised, especially since the publisher is quite new to the field. You never can tell in this industry, what's up and hot. Trends change, albeit often prompted by mega-sellers.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #210
MysticPunk
practical experience, FTW

MysticPunk is on a distinguished road
I think Ready Player One is going to usher us into an age of YA Sci Fi.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #211
Matty C.
Lost in the Ninth Sector

Matty C. is on a distinguished road
I'm hoping for SF as well!
Matty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #212
triceretops
Super Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty C. View Post
I'm hoping for SF as well!
Yeah, I have my likes and hopes, but I'm totally invested in my latest SF release right now, and it has done surprisingly well for its genre.

Tri
Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #213
twright
figuring it all out

twright is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warofthesparks View Post
I don't know what'll be the next big thing, but I know it will be different. Nathan Bransford said back in early 2008 that the next big thing would be nothing like Harry Potter, and then along came Twilight. The Hunger Games is probably the next big thing, and that's nothing like Twilight, so the next big thing will be nothing like The Hunger Games.
But isn't there always going to be a "next big thing" regardless what it is today?
twright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #214
Missus Akasha
I'm a monster. I'm a saint.

Missus Akasha has a spectacular auraMissus Akasha has a spectacular aura
I've never really been into the whole trend things as a reader. I've always rolled my eyes when I see a massive push of a particular genre until everyone just grows tired of it.

I get it though. Teenagers love book trends. Teenagers create book trends. All it takes is one book to sell like hot cakes and that is about 2-3 years of annoyance on my part as a shopper because all I ever see is replicates of the Big Book. Every once and a while, I'll find a book or two that are actually in the trend, but really stand out and shine to me.

Sadly, most of the books that I actually like that are within a trend aren't very popular. It's rather sad.

But if I had to take a gander, I'd probably say sci-fi, which is my favorite genre of all time. I just hope whatever Big Book comes out next will give YA sci-fi a good name and not turn it into some kind of Gossip Girl storyline set on an ultra vague sci-fi background.

WIPs:
We Must Be Killers: Batman and Kick Ass meets Dexter meets Count of Monte Cristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Gide
The most beautiful things are those that madness prompts and reason writes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Dennis
I always start writing with a clean piece of paper and a dirty mind.
Missus Akasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #215
warofthesparks
I know what happened to Baby Jane.

warofthesparks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by twright View Post
But isn't there always going to be a "next big thing" regardless what it is today?
I have no idea what you just asked me.
warofthesparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #216
Chazemataz
I went to sleep a poet

Chazemataz is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus Akasha View Post
I've never really been into the whole trend things as a reader. I've always rolled my eyes when I see a massive push of a particular genre until everyone just grows tired of it.

I get it though. Teenagers love book trends. Teenagers create book trends. All it takes is one book to sell like hot cakes and that is about 2-3 years of annoyance on my part as a shopper because all I ever see is replicates of the Big Book. Every once and a while, I'll find a book or two that are actually in the trend, but really stand out and shine to me.

Sadly, most of the books that I actually like that are within a trend aren't very popular. It's rather sad.

But if I had to take a gander, I'd probably say sci-fi, which is my favorite genre of all time. I just hope whatever Big Book comes out next will give YA sci-fi a good name and not turn it into some kind of Gossip Girl storyline set on an ultra vague sci-fi background.

*cough*ShatterMeEveDivergentWither*cough, hack*

I HATE it when books do that. If I have to see one more "I'm going to pretend this book is a dystopian/scifi/fantasy novel, but that's only the backdrop for when MYSTERIOUS BOY SHE'S VERY ATTRACTED TO comes into play", I'm going to flip.

The problem with a lot of YA novels is that characterization and worldbuilding takes a backseat to a romance between unremarkable characters.

Last edited by Chazemataz; 04-06-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Chazemataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #217
twright
figuring it all out

twright is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazemataz View Post
*cough*ShatterMe,Eve,Divergent*cough, hack*

I HATE it when books do that. If I have to see one more "I'm going to pretend this book is a dystopian/scifi/fantasy novel, but that's only the backdrop for when MYSTERIOUS BOY SHE'S VERY ATTRACTED TO comes into play", I'm going to flip.
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but at what point do you draw the distinction between using common human themes (girls are ALWAYS going to be attracted to mysterious boys) versus putting lipstick on a pig and trotting it out on stage as a beauty contestant?

Just asking...
twright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #218
BlossomQueen
Playing the Waiting Game

BlossomQueen is on a distinguished road
For the next big thing, we won't know until it becomes the Next Big Thing. I, too, am hoping for science fiction, or to be more specific, my WIP. Heh. But it'll be cool if everyone's reading sci-fi like a lot are reading fantasy.

Last edited by BlossomQueen; 04-07-2012 at 02:38 AM.
BlossomQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #219
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputation
I think that regardless of genre or subgenre, any NEXT BIG THING is going to have to be mainstream enough in some regard in order to garner that large of a following.
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #220
celoise
Truss me I iz lawyor

celoise is on a distinguished road
Steampunk, anyone?

-------------------------------------------------

Vonnegutt on stories:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3c1h8v2ZQ
celoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #221
Chazemataz
I went to sleep a poet

Chazemataz is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by twright View Post
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but at what point do you draw the distinction between using common human themes (girls are ALWAYS going to be attracted to mysterious boys) versus putting lipstick on a pig and trotting it out on stage as a beauty contestant?

Just asking...
Yeah, I see your point and it is sort of a lose-lose situation.

I'm a guy, so maybe I'm different, but I like romantic subplots when they're just that: subplots. Just a personal preference, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampuscat
I think that regardless of genre or subgenre, any NEXT BIG THING is going to have to be mainstream enough in some regard in order to garner that large of a following.
The one thing HP, Twilight, and HG have in common is that they aren't "confusing" to casual readers. They are all very straightforward. Boy goes to magic school, girl falls in love with vamp, girl takes part in a dystopian death match. At the same time, though, they have more complicated lore when you dig beneath the surface, so to speak.

Basically, they're simple enough for a child to read and understand, emotional enough for a teen to relate to, and complex enough for anyone older to appreciate.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #222
Erin Latimer
Stay in and write.

Erin Latimer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazemataz View Post
The one thing HP, Twilight, and HG have in common is that they aren't "confusing" to casual readers. They are all very straightforward. Boy goes to magic school, girl falls in love with vamp, girl takes part in a dystopian death match. At the same time, though, they have more complicated lore when you dig beneath the surface, so to speak.

Basically, they're simple enough for a child to read and understand, emotional enough for a teen to relate to, and complex enough for anyone older to appreciate.
I agree. I was going to make the point that, while science fiction can be enjoyed by intellectually mature readers, young adults mostly seem to enjoy simple (on the surface) reads. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all young adult readers can't enjoy the genre, but I personally believe that it won't ever be super mainstream.

As for the next "big thing". Nearly impossible to predict until that thing slowly starts becoming popular (then you can count on a wave of similar books). As for the next book genre, that's different. I think it might be steampunk. And I don't think it will necessarily be a fad, since it's been around for a long time, and has a dedicated (and quite large) fan base already.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheELatimer

I Blog:
http://elatimer.com/

I haz the Twitters: http://twitter.com/ELatimerWrites
Erin Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #223
maybegenius
might be a giant

maybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of light
I genuinely think it'll probably be something we can't really predict. Nobody predicted the success of HP, Twilight, or THG. I mean, Harry Potter was a dark horse out of nowhere, with a tiny advance and a small first print run. Twilight and THG certainly had larger marketing pushes and buzz behind them, which gave them a leg up, but marketing and buzz doesn't create the kind of success they've achieved. That happens solely because the purchasing audience says, "Yes, this, this is what I want to read, more of this." To the tune of tens of millions of dollars. The publisher of The Hunger Games said they "knew they had something special," but that's hardly and indicator of THIS much success.

We've watched dozens of book series sell for six-and-seven figure advances. They usually go on to be popular, sure, but they don't achieve this level of runaway worldwide obsessive fandom. I just don't think it's predictable. I mean, if we think about it, the next "big thing" right now is soft BDSM erotica O_o But it's still early for that series yet.

I'll be interested to see if someone actually does crack the code, though! It's still fun to speculate

My Blog | My Twitter | My Tumblr
maybegenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #224
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Obviously, to some extent there always has been this, but I'm wondering if there was the focus on finding the "next big thing" the way we do now, before HP and Twilight. I wasn't writing back then, so I honestly don't know. Since those, there's been a lot of focus on what's trending. Magic school books are hot, but what comes after that? Vamps are hot, so next is werewolves, then angels, then fairies, then zombies, and now what creature? Dystopia is hot, what's next? Before the mega cross-audience hits like HP, Twilight, and HG, was there this focus on assuming we could figure out what the next trend is going to be?

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising in October

Little Gifts: Plotting for NaNo
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #225
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If there was, it was likely more in the adult-centered market than than children's or YA (think Dan Brown-style mega hits). The whole reason people were reluctant to handle HP at first wasn't just that fantasy was "dead" at the time the book was pitched, but children's books in general "didn't make money."

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote