Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #651
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Soapdish, the way I get around the blocks of disconnected writing problem is to reread what I wrote the day before and keep going from there. Would that help?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #652
Katrina S. Forest
I'm already a real writer.

Katrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for President
*deep breath*

Okay, I've redone the plot outline on my current WIP for the no-ideath time, marking out what needs to change so that everything works together.

When I counted, there were fifteen scenes that needed major edits. Several more than need minor edits, but I need short term goals.

I just spent three hours changing one of those fifteen. I'm wincing looking at the rest.

Onward and upward, I guess.

EDIT: Got another two scenes done in a lot less time. Good to know not all of these will eat up half my day. Only twelve more scenes to go!

"An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My Every Day Fiction stories

Last edited by Katrina S. Forest; 03-08-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Katrina S. Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #653
LilliCray
Plot? What plot?

LilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolness
Go, Katrina! Edit that WIP into shape!

Sigh. My characters really like to screw with me when it comes to romance. >.< In my NaNo, two characters I was sure were supposed to have a romantic thing going... absolutely refused to develop a relationship. In my current WIP, I was sure there wouldn't be romance... and now not one but TWO freaking semi-romances are trying to pop up. Gah! (I don't even know how to write romances. Never been in a romantic relationship before... O.O)

BUT. The important thing is, I'm still getting my 100 words a day. 43 consecutive days and counting! Whee! (And in general it hasn't turned out too disjointed, which I was actually really concerned about. In a couple places, yeah, but not too many... I think... I hope. O.O)

伝勇伝が大好きよ~
LilliCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #654
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri Kirpal View Post
Soapdish, the way I get around the blocks of disconnected writing problem is to reread what I wrote the day before and keep going from there. Would that help?
Maybe. It's worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina S. Forest View Post

EDIT: Got another two scenes done in a lot less time. Good to know not all of these will eat up half my day. Only twelve more scenes to go!
See, there you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilliCray View Post
BUT. The important thing is, I'm still getting my 100 words a day. 43 consecutive days and counting! Whee! (And in general it hasn't turned out too disjointed, which I was actually really concerned about. In a couple places, yeah, but not too many... I think... I hope. O.O)
Yay for not being disjointed! I wish I had the same faith in mine.

soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #655
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Just cheering everyone on!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #656
Katrina S. Forest

Katrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for President
LilliCray, that's awesome that you've been consistent over that long a period. My writing time definitely comes in waves.

I'm now up to four* of the fifteen scenes completed, but the one I just finished was a major one and in the midst of working on that, I laid the groundwork for some of the new material in the next scene. (It makes sense in my head, I promise.)

Oh, yeah, and I started combining notes to myself with character dialogue:

The MC: "I know that guy! I saw him back in Scene 5-2!"

Monday afternoon update: Make that five.

Last edited by Katrina S. Forest; 03-13-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #657
sky warrior books
Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon

sky warrior books is well-respected
Hello, everyone. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, not to mention writing almost 1000 throwaway words, I think I have found my character's motivation. I'm not sure if it works, but it feels the most logical course. He's young and if I remember being young there was a lot of uncertainty combined with bravado. My character has had a tough time fitting in, so perhaps his search is for acceptance. Only he's got to accept who and what he is. (ah, growth! ) So, he's not as sure as he is my later books. In other words, he needs to grow up. Go figure.

I've asked myself why I'm writing young protagonists nowadays. The only thing I can think of is that I'm starting a series or revisiting areas where I need to explore. Only some of their problems seem to just be the product of inexperience.

So, with this in mind, I'm going to have to revisit some of the 27K I wrote and start adding that in. Maybe. Then, I can find his motivation for doing what he's doing.

M.H. Bonham, Author of more than 30 books and Publisher of Sky Warrior Book Publishing LLC. www.skywarriorbooks.com

sky warrior books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #658
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Sounds reasonable, Sky Warrior.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #659
Katrina S. Forest

I know how you feel. I had similar issues with an earlier draft of my WIP. My protagonist was doing stuff, so the plot was technically going forward, but she had no personal reason to be involved in anything. A minor screw up on her part now leads to a slightly unhealthy dose of self-imposed guilt, and she's one motivated young lady.

I'm now finished six scenes and I'm really starting to feel that beaten-this-book-to-death drag. When I'm in heavy edits, it's like rediscovering my love of this particular story because it usually involves a total re-write. When I'm doing light surface changes, I can put on some music and relax, because it's nothing I have to torture my brain over. This is that ugly in-between state and it's driving me nuts.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #660
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Started working on the novel again. Added about 2k words over the past two days. Hoping to pick up the pace as I get into the more "actiony" stuff.

The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #661
Katrina S. Forest

Congrats, Aggy B.

May the actiony parts flow from your fingertips like... like an incredibly clever and totally-not-cliched simile about the flow of words from one's fingertips.

I'm ending my writing day with two scenes finished this afternoon, bringing my total to seven. My brain and I need a break.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 AM   #662
sky warrior books

I just got a lovely comment on my blog. I think I need to post this up on my computer as a reminder:

I am reading Prophecy of Swords on my Kindle right now, and greatly enjoying Shadowhelm's adventure. I'd love to read more Swords of Destiny books, so don't get too discouraged!

Okay, maybe my writing doesn't suck as much as I think it does.

M.H. Bonham, Author of more than 30 books and Publisher of Sky Warrior Book Publishing LLC. www.skywarriorbooks.com

Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #663
Layla Nahar
Seashell Seller

Layla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky warrior books View Post
I am reading Prophecy of Swords on my Kindle right now, and greatly enjoying Shadowhelm's adventure. I'd love to read more Swords of Destiny books, so don't get too discouraged!
Wow! How awesome is that?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #664
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sky Warrior, that's sooo cool! Very encouraging.

I'm stuck in outlining and note taking hell. Don't mind me. I'll be back with new words....soon, I hope.

soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #665
Sarah G
Let me live that fantasy.

Sarah G has a spectacular auraSarah G has a spectacular aura
Keep going SoapdishAnd that's so awesome sky warrior. I have written about 1,100 words tonight not a lot, but considering I haven't written for a while again it's not to bad. I'm editing an old story though, so I'll end up loosing them again no doubt. My other story is on hold, as the query wasn't up to much after putting it up in Query letter hell and i think a couple of plots need to be checked outGood news though, they seem to like the Query for this book so far Guess it's not all bad

H1art B3at?? Plotting for NaNo
Sarah G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #666
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Still plugging away - only 10 pages or so of edits remaining.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #667
sky warrior books

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdish View Post

I'm stuck in outlining and note taking hell. Don't mind me. I'll be back with new words....soon, I hope.
Hang in there! I HATE outlining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
I have written about 1,100 words tonight not a lot, but considering I haven't written for a while again it's not to bad. I'm editing an old story though, so I'll end up loosing them again no doubt. My other story is on hold, as the query wasn't up to much after putting it up in Query letter hell and i think a couple of plots need to be checked outGood news though, they seem to like the Query for this book so far Guess it's not all bad
1100 words is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettielee View Post
Still plugging away - only 10 pages or so of edits remaining.

You can do it!

Me? I'm mucking about trying to put this book together a bit more. I've had a lot of distractions, including having to put down one of my Malamutes. She was 14, but it was still hard.

Writing has been maybe 200 words. Other things I've had to do include editing and formatting. All take time.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #668
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Cheering everyone on, no matter where you're at with your wip. Outlining, editing, writing, query writing.

Hugs and sympathy to Sky Warrior on the death of the malamute.

Continuing with my own slow and steady pace.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #669
Sarah G
Let me live that fantasy.

Sarah G has a spectacular auraSarah G has a spectacular aura
Hugs to Sky Warrior

and Sir Kirpal slow and steady is good

I haven't got any words wrote today, but I did edit up to chapter three. I have a feeling the other chaps will need a more editing than the first three. *Sighs* Seen as how I don't drink Coffee, I think I'll be drinking hot choclate all day tommorrow while i edit next best thing

H1art B3at?? Plotting for NaNo
Sarah G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #670
sky warrior books

Ooooh, shiny.

Yep, I'm back in the ADHD author mode. This time, I got an idea that needs to be worked on quickly if I'm going to make any money on it. The problem is it is nonfiction and not related to my novels. Anyway, I'm going to have to run with it and get a nonfiction book cranked out, get the other work I'm doing knocked out, and get back on the novel.

Today, I got up waaaay too early for ninjutsu class and ended up sleeping most of the afternoon. Tonight has been research plus promotions. I'm going insane over the royalty software and I've got whines into the tech support.

So, that's what has happened. I've got several hundred words cranked out on the nonfiction book.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #671
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Best of luck with the non-fiction book, Sky Warrior! They're easier to write than fiction, at least in my experience.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #672
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
my reporting is about as sporadic as my editing- but the first pass of edits on the Urban Fantasy are done.

It needs more work. I'm not sure if I go back through and do more edits, or start work on another edit job on another book... or maybe, do the query letter for the urban fantasy and then do the edit. I feel like it needs focus.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #673
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Stats for March,14-19 so far:

UF/Book Two
Started at 19,731 words. Now@ 23,689

UF/Book Two
Started at 8752 words. Now @ 19,731.

Sci-Fi novel
Started at 12,329. Now@18,201.

Epic Fantasy
Started at 153,209. (I know. I have a serious problem*holds head down in shame*)
Chopped and screwed down to 135,000 or thereabouts. I'm sloooooowly getting there with it.Found an agent who wants Epic fantasy that doesn't have the standard Western European settings. EEEEK.

Tried to write a query for above novel. As usual for me,it sucks more than a black hole. I shall keep trying and crying.

Pulled out my horror novellas and getting ready to polish the stories for submission. I'm very much inspired by the Short stories thread and I visited duotrope. The market for horror short stories is MUCH better than it is for novels!

Sent query for vampire novel out.

Got a very nice response from my beta that I'm a crazy soul who needs Jesus.

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #674
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Congrats on getting so much done, Kitty! Good luck with the querying!

Congrats on getting editing done, Bettielee! Have you talked to your betas about the book's focus? And yes, I've found that writing the query sometimes tells me what the book's focus is, so that might work too.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #675
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri Kirpal View Post

Congrats on getting so much done, Kitty! Good luck with the querying!

Congrats on getting editing done, Bettielee! Have you talked to your betas about the book's focus? And yes, I've found that writing the query sometimes tells me what the book's focus is, so that might work too.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Thank you!

And good luck to you and everybody!

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote