Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Summonere
practical experience, FTW

Summonere is a glorious beacon of lightSummonere is a glorious beacon of light
Scottish word for “female wolf” / “huntress?”

Hi, all. Friend of mine is writing a story in which the main character is Scottish, and the aim is to draw upon Celtic mythology, thus she'd like to know the proper Scottish words for “female wolf” and/or “huntress.”

Any ideas? Online translators and other resources encountered thus far seem not especially helpful.
Summonere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/

Wolf(f, Wou(l)f(f, n. Also: wolf(f)e, volf(f, volfe, uolf, woulfe, voulf, wowlf(e, vowlf, woolf(e, wlf, wowf(e, wofe, woif, woll, (wulf). Pl. and possess. also wollffis, uolfes, wolvys, -is, voluis, wolwys, voffis, wowis, -es, vowis.

Can't find anything for Huntress, and I don't know how to make a word feminine.
Drachen Jager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
flyingtart
Come here and say that

flyingtart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeflyingtart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeflyingtart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeflyingtart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeflyingtart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeflyingtart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeflyingtart is better than ice cream with hot fudge
This site might help.

There is no word in Scots for huntress but there is an ancient Celtic goddess called Nicevenn, whose Scots incarnation is Gyre-Carling.

"a waste of time and an insult to the intelligence"

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/flyingtart/Decorated%20images/dc2a93ea-bc0b-4e1e-aab3-1b37155aafcf_zps7c543841.jpg
flyingtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
gothicangel
Toughen up.

gothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summonere View Post
thus she'd like to know the proper Scottish words for “female wolf”.”
Why not just 'she-wolf', Rosemary Sutcliffe used the term in her Roman Britain novels.

Also, I advise her to be careful with the term 'Scottish.' Scotland doesn't appear until the medieval period.

"Imagination only comes when you privilege the subconscious" - Hilary Mantel
gothicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
This site might help.

There is no word in Scots for huntress but there is an ancient Celtic goddess called Nicevenn, whose Scots incarnation is Gyre-Carling.
Nicevenn is an actual surname; not an ancient Celtic goddess. It's first used in 16th century poetry Scots poetry, and was later popularized by Walter Scott. The word/name is in fact phonologically Germanic, and not Celtic at all. Gyre-Carling is Norse and Northern OE, and also, post 1400.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summonere View Post
Hi, all. Friend of mine is writing a story in which the main character is Scottish, and the aim is to draw upon Celtic mythology, thus she'd like to know the proper Scottish words for “female wolf” and/or “huntress.”
Do you mean in Scots, a Germanic language just as English is a Germanic language, or do you mean Scottish Gaelic/Erse, a Celtic language?

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 10-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
cornie
I'm a sucker for love stories.

cornie is on a distinguished road
I don't know much Celtic myth, but I do know some Norse. This may be a bit off for your purposes, but perhaps it will help. Norse mythology (and let's be honest, the Vikings were all over the northern European countries for a while there) has a wolf called Fenrir. That's where JK Rowling pulled Fenrir Greyback, I'm betting.

The wolf had two wolf babies, named Skoll and Hati. These two wolves chase the sun and moon to make them come up/go down.

Maybe she could use these names as a jumping off point, like Rowling?
cornie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
Summonere

Thanks for the replies, and my apologies for not following-up promptly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicangel View Post
Why not just 'she-wolf', Rosemary Sutcliffe used the term in her Roman Britain novels.
Hmm. I'm not sure. Maybe she hasn't thought of that. I'll run it past her, though. I suspect she's after something that sounds cooler than “wolf" or "she-wolf," and since the character is of Scottish/Gaelic heritage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
Do you mean in Scots, a Germanic language just as English is a Germanic language, or do you mean Scottish Gaelic/Erse, a Celtic language?
...my understanding is that she's looking for the Scottish Gaelic/Erse, Celtic version of the words.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Bansealgair = Scots Gaelic for huntress.

Faoll = wolf.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
Summonere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
Bansealgair = Scots Gaelic for huntress.

Faoll = wolf.
Say, thanks bunches. That looks like hitting the nail right on the shiny head.