Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Hands-On
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #101
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Here's the new toggle. Much less flashy and more useful.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #102
Arclight
The Dragon's Daughter

Arclight is on a distinguished road
I can't believe there wasn't a thread for this before. I've been beading for about three years. I'm in a bit of a slump right now - this was the first Christmas in two years that I didn't make anything for. But I'm hoping to get back into it by making simple projects just for myself, since most of my projects in the last year were for other people.

Fire Mountain Gems' shipping prices are horrendous for Canadians. The last time I tried to buy something from them, the shipping price was double the price of the actual items. I got a few good bargains off Amazon, but I don't have any other online retailers to buy from. I'll have to try Art Beads though, if their shipping is reasonable.
And, with the truth in mind, let me write lies
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #103
CACTUSWENDY
An old, sappy, and happy one.
Requiescat In Pace

CACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

I'm surprised they don't have a big wholesaler up there. It's a shame on the charges. Good luck.

Posted on Amazon.com and Smashwords.com

Don't forget to give a buck or two towards the Number One writing site online.

You are only a shadow standing in your own sunshine.[/SIZE]
CACTUSWENDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #104
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There should be a few good wholesalers in Canada, especially in Toronto or Vancouver. Arclight, have you tried ordering through Shipwreck Beads or Caravan? They're still in the States, but shipping might be a little less.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #105
Shadowflame
Gametrovert

Shadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
I can't believe there wasn't a thread for this before. I've been beading for about three years. I'm in a bit of a slump right now - this was the first Christmas in two years that I didn't make anything for. But I'm hoping to get back into it by making simple projects just for myself, since most of my projects in the last year were for other people.

Fire Mountain Gems' shipping prices are horrendous for Canadians. The last time I tried to buy something from them, the shipping price was double the price of the actual items. I got a few good bargains off Amazon, but I don't have any other online retailers to buy from. I'll have to try Art Beads though, if their shipping is reasonable.
Canada post is odd. Friend of ours is going to ship a desktop tower to us. Looked at the regular post, and would have cost about $200 to send it. However when he looked at UPS it was only about $40.

So might see what different shipping methods will cost.
and FB for Shadowflame Designs Beadowork
BLOG

Space Marine Gerbils

Rejection count 2014 - 32
Stories out 12
Acceptances: 1
Shortlisted: 1 (1R)
Shadowflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #106
CACTUSWENDY
Requiescat In Pace

CACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

....so excited.

I went to part of the Gem Show yesterday. Sigh. If I was only a millionaire. Such deals. I did pick up some beads at really great prices. The vendors were super nice and very helpful. The choices were non-ending. I only got to go to one main location. Tucson has hundreds of them set up all over the place. I wish I could have found the one that sold pearls. Oh well...I am happy with what I did get to buy.

It's amazing at the real high end stuff that is out there too. I drooled over some things as I watched some ladies buy them like they were penny pieces of candy.

If any of you ever get a chance to go to one of the shows...go for it.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #107
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, my stuff is so bodgy compared to what I am seeing here. I just like to drill holes in things and put them on chains... But I will share anyway

Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #108
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Hey, those are cool, Veinglory! I like the little horses.

I hit Tucson on Saturday. On a budget, so I didn't go as nuts as I usually do. Two little blue chalcedony cabs, one rainbow druzy quartz teardrop, and a bag of fossil mammoth ivory that will be scrimshaw panels in book art someday. If I had serious money, I'd order a necklace from a channel inlay master I met. I got his card: a girl can dream, can't she?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #109
Shadowflame
Gametrovert

Shadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputationShadowflame has a double-platinum reputation
I went to the Tuscon shows a few years ago. Picked up a focus bead from Kimberly Aflek, some odd and ends and met a lot of the people I talked to over at some forums. fun times. One of these days I'll probably go again.
BLOG

Space Marine Gerbils

Stories out 12
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #110
Jaycinth
Your Cuddly Sociopathic
AW Moderator

Jaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJaycinth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have a very good friend who makes and sells jewelry through his website, Aquarius Custom Jewelry. He uses Fire Mountain for some of his purchases, walks the local woodland and collects stones for polishing, and relies on friends who travel internationally. (African countries, in particular, sell semi-precious stone necklaces in bazzaars. They inexpensive as they are usually strung with cheap twine)

Sometimes he finds components at yard sales.

Jaycinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #111
CACTUSWENDY
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

Thanks for the link Jay. It's always interesting to see what others are doing.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #112
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I love making weird things into beads. Right now I have some vintage porcelain teeth (unusual old dental supplies). And also some rattle snake vertebra on order from Ebay.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #113
CACTUSWENDY
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

Ewwwww

I am such a baby still...not sure about bones yet.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #114
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

In honor of Mardi Gras, here is a beaded wire mask I made last year.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #115
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

Cool, I bet it looks great on.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #116
CACTUSWENDY
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

That is so cool....only needs some feathers? (I love feathers....lol)

Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #117
MaryMumsy
the original blond bombshell

MaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
In honor of Mardi Gras, here is a beaded wire mask I made last year.

I want to see you wear that at Desert Dreams. So I'll know who you are

MM

That is Mae West, not me.
MaryMumsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #118
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

I still don't know if I'm going, Mary. The only attending agent whom I've contacted hasn't responded to my query yet, and my other mms is still on sub to 4 e-pubs. Since I don't plan to pitch to any of the editors or agents, the panels are the only real reason to go besides socializing (and I do that here). $255 is a lot for my budget to bear, even if I can write it off as a business expense.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #119
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Here's another right angle weave necklace I finished last week. It's hard to tell here, but the borosilicate lampwork pendant and the gold-luster beads have a hint of pink under the gold.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #120
Shadowflame
Gametrovert

Two of the pieces that I'm trading some online writing workshops for.

(hopes that FB isn't a pita and allows everyone to see it)
BLOG

Space Marine Gerbils

Stories out 12
Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #121
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

FB is having a snit, I'm afraid.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #122
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Someday soon, I want to repair or rebuild this thing.

It was inspired by some costumes I saw on the Sci-Fi Channel years ago, 'Farscape', I think. The model isn't me. She's someone photographed by Bead & Button Magazine when this piece made it into the 'Your Work' section a few years back. I love this green bead netted over-vest, but I can never sell it. It's too heavy. Some of the threads are weak enough that wearing it would be a one-time piece of performance art, as beads scattered to the far corners of the room. I'd be the class clown if it happened to me, but I'd be *mortified* if it happened to a client.

The next round will need steel cable or Kevlar thread, I think.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #123
Shadowflame
Gametrovert

ghhha hate FB sometimes. But try this link maybe G+ will work.

oh and from this I got another request for a necklace.

and I do love that piece. people don't realize how heavy glass seed beads can get. The vest I did a few years ago (Fully beaded on the front) weighed a good 10-15 lbs once I was done. I ordered almost 7 kilo of beads for it.
BLOG

Space Marine Gerbils

Stories out 12
Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #124
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Linky worked. I love these pieces! The curly weaving is gorgeous.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #125
CACTUSWENDY
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

Wow. Love the long vest. I can see how it would weigh a lot.

The last link worked. Those are neat.

I am plugging away making stuff. Feel like I am in bead heaven right now.

Thanks for all the shares.

Last edited by CACTUSWENDY; 03-24-2012 at 01:55 AM.