Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #126
DaveKuzminski
Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace

DaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Heck, they're causing me to get good notices and even boosted donations for legal defense. I guess TWA just doesn't know how to really hurt me. Hint: Try a high-velocity lead injection when I'm not looking.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

DaveKuzminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #127
twm
Sockpuppet

twm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Yee View Post
Oh, no! It looks like their list (noted as updated today, Oct. 8) is now drastically shorter rather than longer. Guess we'll all have to try even harder now to get on there.
Me too. There goes one dream.
twm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #128
thorjansen
practical experience, FTW

thorjansen is on a distinguished road
Aww, shucks. I'm off their writers boycott list. On a bright note, I am still on their propaganda watch list. Guess I'll have to return my badge regardless. Snif.
thorjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #129
janrafrank
Requiescat In Pace
Requiescat In Pace

janrafrank is on a distinguished road
They took me off their boycott list, but left up their big page about how mean I am.

I had been skirmishing with them on Rip-off Report and my final reply included a link to the Dept of Justice's definition and guide to the Freedom of Information Act. However, they have gone silent there.
janrafrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #130
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
/derail

I always wondered why # is called a pound sign, when quite clearly £ is a pound sign. # is and always was a hashmark I thought.

/end derail

My more serious alter ego has tweeted it anyway.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #131
Anninyn
Stealing your twiglets.

Anninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Wow, I wasn't aware visiting this forum and Writer Beware was so dangerous, so subversive that someone would need to watch and boycott those who do.

I'll clearly have to rethink my life. Perhaps I should join the place with the ill-thought out arguments who flail like children when they're proved wrong.

Or perhaps I could stay here with the people who know what they're talking about.

Write Agenda, please watch and boycott me. I have nothing published yet, but my blog could really do with the readership boost.
edit: I can promise that my blog hates your agenda too, even if we never talk about it.

Last edited by Anninyn; 10-09-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Anninyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #132
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
Same here. I use it because a lot of people I know use it, but it's not really doing anything for me.
And it's just that kind of literary individulalist anarchism and outright anti-establishment propaganda (plus other big words I can't think of) that get people blacklisted from The Write Agenda.

Good job you're on about twitter is all I can say. Otherwise you'd be blacklisted on TWA. Twice.

Goodreads

2013 Rainbow Honorable Mention Award (Don't)

Last edited by Fallen; 10-09-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #133
Alan Yee
Pride Sheep

Alan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Okay, I know what happened now. They kept those nine people on the Boycott list, but moved the rest to their Propaganda Watch list. Not quite as prestigious as being on a boycott list, but better than nothing. I'll still aspire to make it onto their Propaganda Watch list.

Last edited by Alan Yee; 10-09-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Alan Yee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #134
fireluxlou
practical experience, FTW

fireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputation
Tbh I'm Jealous that Victoria gets her own page =P One day I will get on their block list
fireluxlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #135
Richard White
Writer Beware's Faithful Igor

Richard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for President
A propaganda "watch list".

Oh, heavens to murgatroids. A watch list. What ever shall I do.

*reaches for the smelling salts* I do believe I may have the vapors.
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #136
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm STILL not on their propaganda list. Not even after PA threatened to sue me a few years back.

If that didn't do it, I don't know what will. Crudcookies.

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: coming from Strange Chemistry Books, September 2014. is back out on submission. Again.

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of
Christine N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #137
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine N. View Post
I'm STILL not on their propaganda list. Not even after PA threatened to sue me a few years back.

If that didn't do it, I don't know what will. Crudcookies.
'Crudcookies' works, but I think the official designation—per The League of Reluctant Adults and echoed by Neil Gaiman—is 'cockwaffles'.
“Plot is people. Human emotions and desires founded on the realities of life, working at cross purposes, getting hotter and fiercer as they strike against each other until finally there’s an explosion—that’s Plot.” ~Leigh Brackett, July 1943

.Where the twit tries not to be TOO much of one.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #138
WriterMomto3
New kid, be gentle!

WriterMomto3 is on a distinguished road
Hey, I'm on the list. It's the Propaganda List, but I'm there just the same. AND, they put in my web site, maybe that will be good for business.

I've a question for those with more technical know-how than I, though. When it is said that there are malware warnings on their site, what does that mean, exactly?
WriterMomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:45 AM   #139
LoLo
figuring it all out

LoLo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
A propaganda "watch list".

Oh, heavens to murgatroids. A watch list. What ever shall I do.

*reaches for the smelling salts* I do believe I may have the vapors.
Hahahahahahaha
LoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #140
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bah. I'm still not on either list. I haven't felt this dissed since my kids hit puberty and I magically became the most uncool person on the planet.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #141
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

Location: Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caffeine
AlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
Americans, I think, call it the pound sign. Commonwealth/UK-ers call it the hash sign since they use metric, not pounds.
I think the UKers calling it a hash sign might also have something to do with the fact that they have a pound sign already, in the £ symbol.

Piper's Pocket Muse (Tumblr) | Twitter
AlexPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #142
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPiper View Post
I think the UKers calling it a hash sign might also have something to do with the fact that they have a pound sign already, in the £ symbol.
Yeah; I actually never understood why it was called the pound sign here in the States.

Because if something weighs, say, 28 pounds, we don't write "28#"; we write "28 lbs.", the "lbs." being derived from librae. (Which I guess is also true of the British currency symbol, £.)

"Hashmark" makes as much sense as anything else.

Anyway, I used the #yogslaw. And I hate Twitter, and I hate Facebook. But they're all over the damn place.

ETA: Still trying to figure out the thinking involved in the creation of TWA. Nothing good.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #143
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Will calling them 'douchecanoes' get their attention?
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #144
Alan Yee
Pride Sheep

Alan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
Bah. I'm still not on either list. I haven't felt this dissed since my kids hit puberty and I magically became the most uncool person on the planet.
Me, too! One of the TWAers even responded to me in the Writer Beware blog comments. How dare they not add me to either list!

Off-topic but related to your second sentence: Depending on what kind of parent you were, your kids might think you're cool again once they reach their thirties. Either that or they'll never seem to be "home" whenever you call them and they never call back. I'm guessing you're a very good parent, so unless one of your kids is a bad egg, they'll eventually think you're cool again. I'm still on the borderline between puberty and adulthood (whew! college students!), but I've started to like my parents better than I did when I was in high school.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #145
Foinah
Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
AW Moderator

Foinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Meermans View Post
Aw, shoot a monkey! I had some good reasons why I should be boycotted, too.
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! What'd I do to you? Snerk. Hey, I'll be a martyr for the propaganda cause. Think I'd make the list that way?!

I'm a sad monkey...all of my witty remarks were removed from the TWA book burning FB page. Some of my best snark, too.
Yes...I have an author site! It's keen!
Short stories available for amazon kindle : Support my coffee habit
Smoking Monkeys have all the fun. Yes, yes we do. Smoking Simian Scribbles (pssst, it's a blog)
Foinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #146
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foinah View Post
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! What'd I do to you? Snerk. Hey, I'll be a martyr for the propaganda cause. Think I'd make the list that way?!

I'm a sad monkey...all of my witty remarks were removed from the TWA book burning FB page. Some of my best snark, too.

oopsie. Sorry 'bout that.
“Plot is people. Human emotions and desires founded on the realities of life, working at cross purposes, getting hotter and fiercer as they strike against each other until finally there’s an explosion—that’s Plot.” ~Leigh Brackett, July 1943

.Where the twit tries not to be TOO much of one.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #147
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post
Because if something weighs, say, 28 pounds, we don't write "28#"
That was frequent in the 19th century US, actually. We don't do it anymore, because it's silly and confusing, but that is in fact why it's sometimes called the "pound sign" here.

There used to be a whole bunch of one-character symbols for units of weights and measures used in the US, but pretty much only ' for feet and " for inches survive today.

In other "no longer comprehensible US usage," a $5 US bill was called a "pound note" during most of the 19th and early 20th centuries, because that was the rough exchange rate for a long time. So when a Damon Runyon character says "And so I slip him a pound note" he means that he bribed whoever with a US five-dollar bill.

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Last edited by IceCreamEmpress; 10-10-2011 at 09:41 AM.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #148
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamEmpress View Post
That was frequent in the 19th century US, actually. We don't do it anymore, because it's silly and confusing, but that is in fact why it's sometimes called the "pound sign" here.

There used to be a whole bunch of one-character symbols for units of weights and measures used in the US, but pretty much only ' for feet and " for inches survive today.

In other "no longer comprehensible US usage," a $5 US bill was called a "pound note" during most of the 19th and early 20th centuries, because that was the rough exchange rate for a long time. So when a Damon Runyon character says "And so I slip him a pound note" he means that he bribed whoever with a US five-dollar bill.
Awesome. Exactly the sort of thing I should have known, given my interest in the 19th century, and my enjoyment of Damon Runyon. I both admire and resent your knowledge.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Old 10-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #149
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foinah View Post
You're already ruining your monkey lungs with those cigs. Tobacco is a monkey on your -- it's a bad habit.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #150
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

The more I look at the site, the odder it seems. All the issues they mention are things that can be debated by reasonable people -- but the site isn't about that. It seems to be purely about attacking the enemy camp ideologically. I get the impression they hold people guilty for being "loyal" to someone they hate. (Trotskyites!)

Most of the energy seems to be spent on ad hominem attacks. There's a whole page devoted to trying to prove James McDonald lied about his advances.

All in all, the site is a good example of a lot of stuff we shouldn't do.