Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #51
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R. Starr View Post
I love that Ann Crispin 'giving away' excerpts of a novel is considered a sign that this cirius' boycott is working.
Well, it did make me go read the excerpts and that made me order the book, so I figure something worked.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #52
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

Location: Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caffeine
AlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admiration
I feel like I should thank TWA for giving me a good reading list.

...wait, that was supposed to be a boycott list? My bad.

Piper's Pocket Muse (Tumblr) | Twitter
AlexPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #53
Richard White
Writer Beware's Faithful Igor

Richard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for President
Amazing how that little mistake keeps getting made.

Ah, the wonderful sound of publicity.

Please, please boycott me too!
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #54
Kyra Wright
Skulduggery and haberdashery

Kyra Wright is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
I made the list. Maybe they'll buy lots of copies of my book to burn.

Of course, this is "The Write Agenda", so they'll probably buy e-copies.
http://xkcd.com/750/
Kyra Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #55
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Heck, I've been giving away excerpts on my webpage since 1996.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #56
zanzjan
get up and dance or die
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I made the list for retweeting Yog's Law a while back.

Hey, if I'm a bad guy for stating I believe writers should get paid for their work, well heck, that's a black hat I'm absolutely willing to wear (-:

Podcast! StarShipSofa 346

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
zanzjan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #57
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

AlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
I made the list for retweeting Yog's Law a while back.
In what world does retweeting Yog's Law qualify as hostile to writers? I mean, I know this didn't make sense anyway, but that...

Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #58
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Scammers absolutely hate Yog's Law: Money flows toward the author.

Observe vanity-pressmeister Richard Tate foaming at the mouth over the thought that publishers should pay authors rather than the other way around: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...postcount=1413 (my comments interspersed--Doctor Dick didn't release my comment on his blog (wonder why)).
Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #59
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

No, I know the scammers hate the Law... what bewilders me is how any group that purports to be defending writers could claim with a straight face that Yog's Law is is hostile to writers, or that anyone would believe that it was.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #60
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My local branch of John Lewis (a wonderful UK department store chain, for those of you who don't know it) gives away free samples of curtain material for colour matching.

I guess they should be on the list too.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #61
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Author-hitlists -- you just know you've GOT to read their wok now.

I love how that site gives off full names in their list, and yet they hide behind a site name. Got real balls, don't they?

Goodreads

2013 Rainbow Honorable Mention Award (Don't)

Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #62
areteus
practical experience, FTW

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
I am finding this thread so amusing. I love it when publicity goes the opposite way than intended... don't they know the old PR maxim of 'anything you ban becomes instantly desirable'? I mean tobacco and alcohol have been benefitting from this one for decades.

Transitions
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transitions-...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

'Gods of the Sea'
Part of the Pirates and Swashbucklers anthology:

http://pulpempire.com/mag/

My blog:

http://lurkingmusings.wordpress.com/

I helped write this:

http://www.realmfw.com/
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #63
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've RTd Yog's Law too. What am I, chopped liver?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #64
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
I don't get the part about sending their boycott list to libraries. Most librarians, no matter where they're located, are rather fond of allowing books - all books, any sort of books, no matter the philosophy or ideas they espouse - be available for the public to peruse and borrow. I know of one library - small, middle-class town - that regularly displays so-called 'banned books' in the hopes that the citizenry will read them. I was just a kid when a librarian told me that 'A Catcher in the Rye' would be a good choice for my book report. (We'd already read it in class, I told her.) And this was the 1960's.

So this part I do not comprehend ...

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #65
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
I think most libraries have thier own policies for which books they stock (like one I used to go to seemed to have the policy of only stock the second book in any trilogy... no idea why ) and resent being told what to order. So you may be right...

Transitions

'Gods of the Sea'

My blog:

I helped write this:

Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #66
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

I seriously doubt that this "Write Agenda" person has actually sent a list to anyone.

All crazy-talk, no action.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #67
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
I seriously doubt that this "Write Agenda" person has actually sent a list to anyone.

All crazy-talk, no action.
Such a list would immediately encourage most librarians to order the books in question.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 10-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #68
Jamiekswriter
The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write!

Jamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
I've RTd Yog's Law too. What am I, chopped liver?
We should all retweet Yog's Law today. It'll be a tweet in!
http://www.amazon.com/Shifting-Curre...fting+currents
Jamiekswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #69
Foinah
Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
AW Moderator

Foinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiekswriter View Post
Done.
Yes...I have an author site! It's keen!
Short stories available for amazon kindle : Support my coffee habit
Smoking Monkeys have all the fun. Yes, yes we do. Smoking Simian Scribbles (pssst, it's a blog)
Foinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #70
areteus

Is there an official version of Yog's law or do we just tweet it anyway we want?

Transitions

'Gods of the Sea'

My blog:

I helped write this:

Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #71
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My tweet from yesterday:

Opposition to Yog's Law simply means your business model is "Money flows AWAY from the writer." Say whut?!?!
“Plot is people. Human emotions and desires founded on the realities of life, working at cross purposes, getting hotter and fiercer as they strike against each other until finally there’s an explosion—that’s Plot.” ~Leigh Brackett, July 1943

.Where the twit tries not to be TOO much of one.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #72
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by areteus View Post
Is there an official version of Yog's law or do we just tweet it anyway we want?
From the mouth of Yog hisownself in post #58: "Money flows toward the author."
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #73
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My version of Yog's Law is "Real men don't pay."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #74
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiekswriter View Post
I think that's a great idea!

Come up with a hash tag, and let's do this!

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #75
Medievalist
SuperModerator

The Official Yog's Law Page is here: http://www.sff.net/people/yog/

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg