Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #1101
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
I am a notebook and pen freak!

I buy them, yet do much of my outlining and stuff on my computer. When I use paper, I use scrap paper because I hate the thought of ruining the pristine notebooks.

It's sad. I finally outlawed myself from buying paper and pens.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #1102
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm the same way. I have to force myself not to buy the pretty notebooks since I still won't use the ones I have. Now I buy the cheap ones, which I can make messy, tear out pages, and feel no remorse about turning ugly. Pens, I have one nice one. No more allowed.

Namatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #1103
knightrunnermat
practical experience, FTW

knightrunnermat is well-respected
Has anyone read any Dick Francis novels? My current WIP involves horse racing at certain points and I want to make sure that I am not just writing something that's already been written. Any suggestions on where to start with this?

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/
knightrunnermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #1104
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namatu View Post
I'm the same way. I have to force myself not to buy the pretty notebooks since I still won't use the ones I have. Now I buy the cheap ones, which I can make messy, tear out pages, and feel no remorse about turning ugly. Pens, I have one nice one. No more allowed.
I tend to go obsessive with mine, wanting the same kind. Best ones were out of Woolworths and then they went out of business. I keep buying nice ones though that then end up piled on the shelves, but sooner or later they end up being used. Sometimes it's like they're waiting for the right scribbles!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #1105
knightrunnermat

Does anyone know of a resource that lists in a single spot all of the MTS literary conventions that are coming up? I would like to shoot for one later in the year, but I have no idea where to start looking.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #1106
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I am a notebook and pen freak!

I buy them, yet do much of my outlining and stuff on my computer. When I use paper, I use scrap paper because I hate the thought of ruining the pristine notebooks.

It's sad. I finally outlawed myself from buying paper and pens.
I think we must be related! I think the same about notebooks! Cannot bear to write in them in case I spoil them. And pens. Fountain pens with lovely nibs.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #1107
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrunnermat View Post
Does anyone know of a resource that lists in a single spot all of the MTS literary conventions that are coming up? I would like to shoot for one later in the year, but I have no idea where to start looking.
I Googled it (you probably did too ) and didn't see anything. You're looking in the States, right? Anywhere in particular, or anything in particular?
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #1108
knightrunnermat

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
I Googled it (you probably did too ) and didn't see anything. You're looking in the States, right? Anywhere in particular, or anything in particular?
Heyjude:

Yes, I did Google it. I found a few conventions that looked promising. The ThrillerFest is obviously a big one, but I also saw one in Nashville that looked pretty cool. It was called Killer Nashville, I think. I am flying through the rough draft of my current WIP and would ultimately like to have it edited and ready to go by the end of July, so ThrillerFest is out (unless I speed up even more!), but Killer Nashville might be a good fit at the end of August.

I know that there's another sub-forum for this, but what do you all find is the best way to have agents/editors remember you? Business cards seem like the most obvious way, but I've also seen bookmarks and even fliers with contact info and story synopses.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #1109
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Everything I've ever seen agents say is have a great premise, great pages (if you're presenting them), a calm, cogent pitch, and FFS be polite (no pitching in the bathroom ). They'll remember that.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #1110
knightrunnermat

Quote:
Everything I've ever seen agents say is have a great premise, great pages (if you're presenting them), a calm, cogent pitch, and FFS be polite (no pitching in the bathroom ). They'll remember that.
Cool, thank you. So it's product over presentation? I can do that. I'm not the best speaker, but I can put together something that represents my work pretty well.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #1111
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

You don't have to be the best speaker. Be you--I imagine you're as affable and likable in person as online--and have a great ms. You'll do fine.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #1112
knightrunnermat

Quote:
You don't have to be the best speaker. Be you--I imagine you're as affable and likable in person as online--and have a great ms. You'll do fine.
This is the thing I am most nervous about. I am such a horrible public speaker and I get flustered really easily while talking to people I don't know. I am nervous that once I actually have a finished product on my hands that I will mess up whatever chances I have by speaking in cliches or one word sentences. I am a much better writer than speaker because I have a lot more time to plot out what I'm writing than I have when I'm talking to someone. That, and I can go back and change things that I've written. I can't go back in time and not say something stupid!

Although, I am getting better at this. I interviewed a baseball player last night after the game and I didn't mess it up. So perhaps there is hope for me.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #1113
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

So many of us are like that! Is there someone you can practice on? Write it out first, several scenarios, and practice until you feel comfortable.

And remember, they're (agents are) human, too.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #1114
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Pretend you're mute, pantomime a bit, and have it all written on a paper you hand them.

They'll remember you.

They may not like finding they've been duped later, but one bridge at a time.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #1115
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

And make sure someone's nearby with a video camera.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #1116
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I volunteer to man the video camera for that!

Namatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #1117
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

In case you know CACTUSWENDY and didn't see this... She wasn't an MTSer but many of us know and love her very much.

Today is a sad, sad day.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #1118
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for pointing me to the link, HJ. So very very sad.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #1119
WordCount
You don't have coffee? Go away.

WordCount is a shiny, shiny jewelWordCount is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
In case you know CACTUSWENDY and didn't see this... She wasn't an MTSer but many of us know and love her very much.

Today is a sad, sad day.

I heard about it last night on the chat.

There were lots of tears.
WordCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #1120
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

CactusWendy is gone from this world, but certainly not our hearts.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #1121
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
What HJ said.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #1122
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
I was able to read this in France but not reply for some reason. But just wanted to second what HJ said. So sad.
Z
Old 05-06-2012, 03:43 AM   #1123
GailD
Plotting the breakthrough...

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This thread has gotten way too quiet...

Psst. Like my American? Gotten.

...so here's something to cheer you all up.

New blog - Jumping Genres. (Updated August 14)

GailD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #1124
WordCount
You don't have coffee? Go away.

WordCount is a shiny, shiny jewelWordCount is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailD View Post
This thread has gotten way too quiet...

Psst. Like my American? Gotten.

...so here's something to cheer you all up.

I second that! Way too quiet in here!

Let's discuss something; how are all of your WIPs coming along?
WordCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #1125
GailD
Plotting the breakthrough...

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordCount View Post
I second that! Way too quiet in here!

Let's discuss something; how are all of your WIPs coming along?

WordCount. You lighted up the thread with that post!

See! More Americanese! Oxford English would say, 'You lit up the thread'.

Oh, the joys of writing for an American audience. Their humo
ur is so colourful it can brighten up a greay day.

New blog - Jumping Genres. (Updated August 14)

GailD is offline   Reply With Quote