Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #976
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
I resemble that remark.
You really do. Stock up on some personal chocolate.

Ooh. Hey. Sedatives. You can slip sedatives into their evening milk and cookies! ... No? It's a good backup in case of emergency.

Namatu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #977
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Fortunately, it's not 10 little boys. We all know boys are made with snips and snails and puppy dog tails making them little slimy Frankenstein monsters, which means...
Someone else just said the same thing this morning, that boys are much worse on sleepovers. Can't wait until the little one is old enough for such things.

Quote:
Which means I need some caffeine don't I?
Yes. Yes it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namatu View Post
You really do. Stock up on some personal chocolate.

Ooh. Hey. Sedatives. You can slip sedatives into their evening milk and cookies! ... No? It's a good backup in case of emergency.
Now why didn't I think of that?! That is a truly good idea. ::makes a reminder note to buy sedatives::
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #978
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
I just had flashbacks to my one morning I worked as a preschool teacher... wah. Rather you than me, HJ, though I do like the sound of the sedatives idea.

Just thought I'd pop by, mainly because I just want to say I'm going to Paris in two weeks! I suppose eventually I will have to stop going to these scifi convention things and actually behave like a grown up, but I can do that after I've been to Paris. Only problem now is that I'm overexcited and it's bedtime. Got a meeting with the boss to discuss the blog and such and I'm going to get moaned at but I don't care because I'm going to Paris in two weeks!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #979
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
So much going on! HJ forget the sedatives - book them into a hotel! Zelenka have a great time in Paris. I spent today teaching French. Mais quelle horreur. Or something like that. End of term tomorrow. Drinks are on me - and they'll be doubles!

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #980
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Paris! C'est bonne! C'est bon? However you spell it. My French is atrocious.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #981
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
10 Girls huh? Well girls tend to fall asleep sooner than boys on a sleep over I found. BUT more drama with girls.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #982
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelenka View Post
...I suppose eventually I will have to stop going to these scifi convention things and actually behave like a grown up,...
I'm failing tocome up with a reason why.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #983
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakesbear View Post
So much going on! HJ forget the sedatives - book them into a hotel! Zelenka have a great time in Paris. I spent today teaching French. Mais quelle horreur. Or something like that. End of term tomorrow. Drinks are on me - and they'll be doubles!
I'll take a double lemonade. Extra sugar.

Quote:
I'm failing tocome up with a reason why.
I had the same thought.

Well, today's the day. The girl is 9 and the party's tonight.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #984
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Quote:
I'm failing to come up with a reason why.
I third this. I once thought I should be more grown up and stop talking to imaginary people in my head. Do you know how boring that is? I now cling to my imaginary people. Cons are fun, provide an excellent reason to travel, and you meet great people. Why deny yourself fun?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #985
Shakesbear

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
Double lemonade it is HJ. Mines a VERY large scotch and soda. I have so irritated myself - forgot about the end of term champagne I put in the fridge this morning. Two weeks of not having to get up at six in the morning. Two weeks of being a total slob.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:01 AM   #986
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namatu View Post
I third this. I once thought I should be more grown up and stop talking to imaginary people in my head. Do you know how boring that is? I now cling to my imaginary people. Cons are fun, provide an excellent reason to travel, and you meet great people. Why deny yourself fun?
I prefer imaginary people to be honest.

Can't wait to go to France, have booked the hotel in Paris and will spend a day just wandering around taking photographs. It's funny, but for the first time today I got a rejection, the last of my short stories that was out there, and the third in a row to be rejected (it's a kind of semi-form, very impersonal, so a bit discouraging) I'm not in tears thinking I should give up all hope of becoming a writer. I'm worried, of course, that my one and only acceptance was just a fluke and won't be repeated, but I am remarkably calm tonight. And I think going to France has something to do with it.

That, or coming home to this...
Old 03-31-2012, 03:48 AM   #987
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelenka View Post
I prefer imaginary people to be honest.
Who doesn't?

Quote:
Can't wait to go to France, have booked the hotel in Paris and will spend a day just wandering around taking photographs.
Go here! It's been... oy, a long time since I've been to this church, but it's near l'Opera Garnier, off of a rather busy intersection, but there's a nice park around the church, with benches for sitting, and I remember it being such a nice, quiet, setting, with that beautiful church. It's one of my favorite Paris memories. In one photo I have of it, it looks like the cross at the pinnacle is on fire.

I'm sorry to hear about the rejection, but that acceptance you got is not a fluke. Maybe that's why you're calm. Your subconscious knows this.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #988
Zelenka
Going home!

You know I think I recognise that place, although it's been maybe 15 years or more since I was in Paris, but our hotel wasn't far from the Opera Garnier and we went around that area quite a bit. I'm really hoping I'll enjoy the city as much as I remember from that trip back then. Hopefully the weather'll be nice.

I have no idea why I'm calm, it's actually a really strange experience, because my usual first reaction is to be miserable and think I'm never going to write again. In fact I'm now so used to this reaction, I actually let myself have it for a set period of time, and then after that I have to buck up and just get back to writing. And weirdly I have been really down on my writing for a while and yeah, I am really worried that actually I just don't have what it takes, yet this isn't bothering me. And even the writing worries are a bit distant. Maybe I am mellowing out in my old age.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #989
Stlight
ideas are floating where they will

Location: where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
Stlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think one day you get rejection number whatever and something changes in your deepest thoughts. At that point they simply are what they are, not related to you at all.

Anyway, you got super-cat there for the humongous type hugs. Gotta help.
Stlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #990
Sassy3421
Plotting murder..most of the time

Sassy3421 has earned our admirationSassy3421 has earned our admirationSassy3421 has earned our admirationSassy3421 has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorySleuth View Post
Sassy!!!!! Hey there!!! Glad to see you plowing out the books.
How is your grand-baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Sassy! (The Old Man is a cat, btw. )
oh dear..a cat (eating foot...) Still, like family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
And SASSY, we've missed you. So glad to hear about your books.
Thank you, and me too

Twitter

Watch the book trailer for ELEVEN here

My Books
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Amazon France
Amazon Germany

Sassy3421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #991
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The grandestbaby is awesomeness! Thanks for asking Sassy. She'll be 10 months old on the first, actually. What a character. She knows when she's being funny. I'll post a pic or two tomorrow.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #992
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Love the kitty, Zelenka!

So, MTSers, what are we doing to catch the avatar thief? We're not going to let the rest of the board show us up, are we?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #993
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

I have set a ninja loose to find my avatar. Ninja is closing in on the culprit/s. Beware!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #994
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Are ninjas particularly good at crime-solving?

--knows almost nothing about ninjas
Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #995
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ninjas are particularly good at cutting off the feet of the thief when they get close. Makes it easy to figure out who it is when they can't get away.

Are there any other clues floating around other than the banner and avatar things?

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #996
GailD
Plotting the breakthrough...

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Everyone.

If you click on the pic at the top of the board you get an enlarged version but that doesn't seem to give much away. The magnifying glass doesn't enlarge much. However, if you look closely at the thief he/she appears to have shoulder length hair and is wearing what seems to be reading glasses. Judging by the muscular build, I'd say it was male - but who knows - has Mac been working out lately? The footprints look very generic and I suspect the 'handprints' are planted there.

I think it might be easier if we could find out who is fencing hot avies. ... and why some people (like mods) appear to have theirs intact.

I haz a suspicious.

The Branch of Thorns - my s/story in the African American Review (Vol 46.1) on sale now.

New blog - Write, Right and Research. Part 3 (Final) UPDATED DEC 1st. With pictures!!

GailD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #997
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Yes, there are.

(Uh, sorry. I'm way late with that response. Had a dinner party.)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #998
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've caught a couple of the avatar clues (I assume clues, anyway, like one that said the thief uses free fonts ), but Mac posted a couple of letters from the thief in the other threads with hidden messages (last one being "suspect the cat.")

Oh, and Susie has a lot of avatars tucked away in her siggy.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #999
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Uh oh, the avatars are dropping like flies...
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #1000
Shakesbear

There is a thief?