Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #901
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Shave his head.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #902
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorySleuth View Post
Humph. I'd fix his butt but good. He wants long hair, does he now? I say give him a mullet until he starts talking.

Well, greetings from Disney World, all. I know, I know. But we go other places than Disney. Like this once we went to Downtown Disney. True story.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #903
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelenka
I need to start on my WIP thought now I know what needs done, but I need to basically scrap the 12,000 words I have and start fresh and it's a bit daunting, plus my MC, Val, has stopped talking to me, besides telling me he doesn't want short hair.
Quote:
Humph. I'd fix his butt but good. He wants long hair, does he now? I say give him a mullet until he starts talking.
Quote:
Shave his head.

I know it must be daunting, Zelenka, but at least you know what direction you want to go in now. (Even if Val doesn't. )

Although, scrapping 12,000 words! I feel your pain.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #904
wonderactivist
practical experience, FTW

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Well, greetings from Disney World, all. I know, I know. But we go other places than Disney. Like this once we went to Downtown Disney. True story.
Hey I used to work there. Of course, Disney Quest no longer exists. It was right next to Cirque de Soleis (sp). Why would you ever go anywhere other than Disney World?

PS: Have a Mickey ice cream for me, please?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #905
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
You guys realise now every time I go to write this thing I'll see the MC with a mullet...
Old 03-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #906
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
Hey I used to work there. Of course, Disney Quest no longer exists. It was right next to Cirque de Soleis (sp). Why would you ever go anywhere other than Disney World?

PS: Have a Mickey ice cream for me, please?
Oo, what did you do at Disney? And yes, Quest is still there! It's fun. We took the kids last time, they loved it.

Why would we ever go anywhere other than Disney... Hm... All those kids... ::shudder:: We do love it, but hubby and I are ready to do something adult!

Uh... you know what I mean!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #907
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ummm ...no. I don't know what you mean. Sigh ............

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #908
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like History needs a mullet or something. (You can't see the hairstyle from the back, but you know that's a mullet.)

Namatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #909
HistorySleuth

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think Dog the Bounty Hunter still has one right? Maybe it's just long and looks that way from the front.

On Amazon.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #910
TheIT
Infuriatingly Theoretical

TheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
:: Pokes head through door. Hopes it doesn't get shaved. ::

Mind if I join you in here? Real life has been interfering with writing, but I figure it's time to log back on to AW and commiserate/encourage/chill/whatever. Right now real life has been way too real.

NaNoWriMo 2014: Swimming Through the Maelstrom

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time
TheIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #911
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIT View Post
:: Pokes head through door. Hopes it doesn't get shaved. ::
TheIT is here! SO glad you're here. And don't worry, we don't shave heads.

We do mullets!

Quote:
Mind if I join you in here? Real life has been interfering with writing, but I figure it's time to log back on to AW and commiserate/encourage/chill/whatever. Right now real life has been way too real.
Real life sucks. Hang out with us!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #912
TheIT

TheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Real life sucks. Hang out with us!
Oh, yeah. Thanks, I need somewhere to vent.

So, a not-so hypothetical question. You spend a fun evening with friends and when you return to the parking garage, you discover one of your car's windows smashed in, the steering column in pieces where someone failed to hotwire the car, and your laptop bag missing with your new laptop, your current writing notebook, and the fountain pen you used for several novel drafts. What loss do you feel most keenly?

I must be a writer. Right now, it's a tossup between the notebook, pen, and laptop. &%*#&^(# thieves.

Chocolate, please? Lots of chocolate?

Available now:

Doorways to Extra Time
Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #913
HistorySleuth

Heck with the car, those would be my top 3 too. Any of it covered in your auto insurance so you can at least get a new laptop?

On Amazon.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #914
TheIT

Quote:
Heck with the car, those would be my top 3 too. Any of it covered in your auto insurance so you can at least get a new laptop?
Not sure yet. I've got an appointment with the insurance adjuster on Monday.

Note to self: don't leave ANYTHING of value in the trunk of the car.

Available now:

Doorways to Extra Time
Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #915
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:

So, a not-so hypothetical question. You spend a fun evening with friends and when you return to the parking garage, you discover one of your car's windows smashed in, the steering column in pieces where someone failed to hotwire the car, and your laptop bag missing with your new laptop, your current writing notebook, and the fountain pen you used for several novel drafts. What loss do you feel most keenly?

I must be a writer. Right now, it's a tossup between the notebook, pen, and laptop. &%*#&^(# thieves.

Oh man. I am SO sorry. That's awful! What kind of horrible person would do such a thing? And to steal your notebook?!! Seriously?

Yeah, my big thing would be the laptop.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #916
GailD
Hoarding commas,

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's awful, TheIT!!! Sorry it happened to you and I sure hope your insurance will cover it all - though some things just aren't easy to replace.

Hey! Namatu! Long time, no see. How're you doing?

Happy St Patrick's Day. It's a good excuse to tuck into extra chocolate.

New blog - Jumping Genres. (Updated August 14)

GailD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #917
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

*Rushes in with a plate of chocolate.*

What a horrible thing to happen, TheIT!
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #918
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Quote:

Disturbing!

Chocolate's not enough. Someone should find that person and give them a good kick in the...
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #919
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
That is terrible, The IT. If I could find a way to email chocolate I would send some.

I'm just back from Deggendorf, Germany, with a little bit of time in Munich this morning (definitely going back, looks so nice there). Was at (should I admit this?) another SF convention there, with the same actor I seem to be stalking round Europe these days, but Munich seemed to have some really good chocolate shops, even in the station. And marzipan. I really miss the stall that was on Wenceslas Square at Christmas with the different flavoured marzipan. I might have to make an emergency food run to Germany!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 AM   #920
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Best marzipan comes from Lubeck, sort of near Hamburg. It is sooo good.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #921
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

So very quiet! How's everyone?

I've been buying books today. My credit card is currently whimpering under the couch.

And John Hart's new book, Iron Horse, is selling cheaper in hardback than ebook. Explain it to me all you want, I will never understand ebook pricing.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #922
HistorySleuth

I'm editing and beta reading. Also, because I miss my MTS stuff, working on a query letter even though I don't need it yet. I just kind of needed a dose of fiction writing for a break from non-fic editing. I don't know. I may put it up in query letter hell.

On Amazon.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #923
DocBrown

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Quote:
So very quiet! How's everyone?

I've been buying books today. My credit card is currently whimpering under the couch.

And John Hart's new book, Iron Horse, is selling cheaper in hardback than ebook. Explain it to me all you want, I will never understand ebook pricing.
Someone has tried to explain ebook pricing?

I think it is too new. It'll even out one of these days. I'm guessing...
In an impactful way

Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #924
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
I'm editing and beta reading. Also, because I miss my MTS stuff, working on a query letter even though I don't need it yet. I just kind of needed a dose of fiction writing for a break from non-fic editing. I don't know. I may put it up in query letter hell.
Let us know if you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Someone has tried to explain ebook pricing?

I think it is too new. It'll even out one of these days. I'm guessing...
Yeah, I've read lots of blogs and people have tried to explain it. Sometimes, though, life just doesn't make sense.

Profound words of wisdom.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #925
DocBrown

To their credit, it is a complicated issue. There has to be a balance between what the author expects, what the buyer expects, and what each feels the property is worth versus what sort of exposure the author is looking for.

That is, a new author looking for exposure will need to sell their books cheaper than one who already has an established audience.
In an impactful way