Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #826
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelenka View Post
Funny thing is he calls himself a big SF fan. It's just a reaction he has - anything he hears he has to discourage and make fun of. Didn't matter if I told him I wanted a Lagrange point station or one made out of Lego and cheese held up by butterflies.

Only thing is they don't want their station to be like my station. My station has murders on it... Lots of murders!
Ah, one of those. Probably couldn't string two words together. I think you mentioned him once before. Well next time he says something stupid just imagine him with pigeons picking cheesewiz off the top of his head.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #827
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

MeretSeger has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelenka View Post
Funny thing is he calls himself a big SF fan. It's just a reaction he has - anything he hears he has to discourage and make fun of. Didn't matter if I told him I wanted a Lagrange point station or one made out of Lego and cheese held up by butterflies.

Only thing is they don't want their station to be like my station. My station has murders on it... Lots of murders!
I like your station better! Who wants boring realism when you can have terror in the silence of spaaaaaace?
MeretSeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #828
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Oh you guys, I'm suffering. Tomorrow we're supposed to get the first of back-to-back overnight guests ( I love having guests, but back-to-back?! And I have no idea when the first set is due to arrive. It's a surprise, I guess?). Saturday is the boy's birthday party, here at the house, something like 60 people. That's in addition to the Easter kick-off, etc. I've been working on this weekend for weeks, even months.

The boy has a cold. Okay, fine. We can handle that. He should be better by Saturday, right?

The girl came home with the stomach flu today.

Please shoot me.
Back-to-back guests a birthday party with 60+ people, 2 sick kids...That's it, you're officially my hero. (That is, unless you've actually shot the kids, as suggested by our bloody thirsty members.)

Quote:
I also want shooting though - cannot get rid of this flu of mine, and it's now turned into one of those coughs that leaves all the muscles in your stomach sore. Heading out to the shop in a minute for comfort food, which will mostly consist of chocolate (hey, it's soft and easy on the sore throat...) but then I have to do my test on the new tour tomorrow. A few more tourists should be heading home with some nasty Czech bugs though, after doing my tour, I suppose I can cling to that thought for warmth....
What is it with all the shooting? Surely we can come up with a better way to kill off our sickly members?

Hope you're feeling better, Zelenak.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #829
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
HJ and for every one who needs a hug

I spent this morning talking to idiots on the phone. Real live living people with no brains. Some where in the conversations is a murder waiting to be plotted. For example, after going through all the security questions I eventually got one idiot to tell me why he had sent me a text asking me to contact him urgently.
"You haven't paid the bill for March." He said.
"That is because it is still February and you have not sent me the bill for March," I replied.

Pause.

Pause.

"Ah. Yes. Sorry. Bye." He hung up. Why is it idiots never come single store but in battalions?

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #830
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
Back-to-back guests a birthday party with 60+ people, 2 sick kids...That's it, you're officially my hero. (That is, unless you've actually shot the kids, as suggested by our bloody thirsty members.)
We're on the road to recovery. The girl didn't actually have the stomach thing, she had a thing that mimicked the stomach thing and the strep thing and whatever. All I really heard was "she'll be fine in a day or so." Whew!

The giant bounce house (and I do mean giant) has been installed on our lawn, the groceries are bought, the gifts are ready. Let's do this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakesbear View Post
HJ and for every one who needs a hug

I spent this morning talking to idiots on the phone. Real live living people with no brains. Some where in the conversations is a murder waiting to be plotted. For example, after going through all the security questions I eventually got one idiot to tell me why he had sent me a text asking me to contact him urgently.
"That is because it is still February and you have not sent me the bill for March," I replied.

Pause.

Pause.

"Ah. Yes. Sorry. Bye." He hung up. Why is it idiots never come single store but in battalions?
heyjude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #831
MarkEsq
Clever title pending.

Location: In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
MarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bonne chance!

MarkEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #832
GailD
Plotting the breakthrough...

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I spent this morning talking to idiots on the phone.

" Why is it idiots never come single store but in battalions?
*hands out sympathetic shoulder pats all round*

Option 1: You have to open up the handset on your phone and remove the little metal idiot-magnet.

Dispose of it carefully. (They tend to come back.)

Option 2: Keep a large supply of chocolate beside the phone. (It doesn't keep the idiots at bay but it helps create a sublime indifference to them.)

HJ! Woo-hoo. Party on! We'll be here when it's all over and you need to put your feet up.

New blog - Jumping Genres. (Updated August 14)

GailD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #833
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you. My baby is 7 today!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #834
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Quote:
My baby is 7 today!

Aww! They grow up so fast. I remember only yesterday your baby was only 6!

I hope the chaotic madness lovely party of children, proceeds without killing you smoothly.

ETA:

Quote:

Whatever service it is, dump them and go to the competitor. Clearly, they are in financial trouble.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com

Last edited by DocBrown; 02-25-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Why not?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #835
Shakesbear

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
GailD I would love to remove the idiot magnet - but it would be like putting a mouse in the wood pile - they would find another way back!
Thanks for the advice Doc. I don't think they are in financial trouble, just need to rethink their training programme. If they have one.

I am agonising over my WIP. Hard choice to make. hmph.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #836
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Well I managed a tour, just. My voice is totally going though. Not sure what to do as I can't just keep missing work, but doing tours evidently isn't helping. Going to try honey tomorrow, that's next on the list of folk remedies. Doubt if I'll work on the WIP tonight. Feel more like curling up somewhere warm.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #837
HistorySleuth

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just a little heads up, time is running out (the 28th I think) to help make Ambrosia's poetry contest DREAMS, VISIONS & NIGHTMARES a success. In case you want to vote go here. Password citrus.

Back to your regularly scheduled variety discussion.

On Amazon.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #838
Shakesbear

Zelenka try warm whisky with a tiny splash of warm orange juice.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #839
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

I survived.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #840
DocBrown

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
*Picks HJ up and dusts her off.*

We need a pool, an umbrella, a chair, and some chocolate and champagne.

STAT!
In an impactful way

Old 02-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #841
Shakesbear

Go you HJ! WE knew you could do it. :-)))

Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #842
muse

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I survived.

Yes, but did the kids?

Quote:
Well I managed a tour, just. My voice is totally going though. Not sure what to do as I can't just keep missing work, but doing tours evidently isn't helping. Going to try honey tomorrow, that's next on the list of folk remedies. Doubt if I'll work on the WIP tonight. Feel more like curling up somewhere warm.
Might be better just to take a few days off, Zelenka and rest your voice. Don't stress about your WIP, you need to look after yourself first.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #843
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
*Picks HJ up and dusts her off.*

We need a pool, an umbrella, a chair, and some chocolate and champagne.

STAT!
I don't drink, so just double up on the chocolate, will you?

Quote:
Go you HJ! WE knew you could do it. :-)))
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
Yes, but did the kids?
::counts... one, two...:: Uh-ho. Most of them? And that's what counts!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #844
DocBrown

The champagne is just a gigglidisiac. The bubbles to the nose will make you giggle. Champagne on its own is not actually worth drinking anyway.

After two months of talk, I finally uploaded my book to Smashwords last night.

Before I even picked up the free ebook ISBN, someone downloaded the free sample. An hour later they bought it.

I guess I am officially on the hook for the sequel now.

The fact that I sold a copy without even attempting any marketing is pretty cool, but I am sure each copy hereafter will cost me my pound of flesh.

Hopefully, by the end of the day, I'll have it posted in the Kindle store.
In an impactful way

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #845
Shakesbear

Hey! Go you Doc. Hope you celebrate with a bottle of Champagne

Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #846
muse

Quote:
The champagne is just a gigglidisiac. The bubbles to the nose will make you giggle. Champagne on its own is not actually worth drinking anyway.

Before I even picked up the free ebook ISBN, someone downloaded the free sample. An hour later they bought it.

I guess I am officially on the hook for the sequel now.

The fact that I sold a copy without even attempting any marketing is pretty cool, but I am sure each copy hereafter will cost me my pound of flesh.

That definitely deserves a glass of champers (or two)
Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #847
HistorySleuth

Go Doc!!

On Amazon.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #848
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
gigglidisiac

Quote:
WHERE? HOW? NOW?!!! MUST HAVE!!!!

Quote:
THAT LONG?!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #849
DocBrown

Quote:
WHERE? HOW? NOW?!!! MUST HAVE!!!!
The link in the word "Smashwords" above will take you there.

Quote:
THAT LONG?!!!
Well , I got up early to walk a friends dog , then I cleaned my kitchen & had breakfast , showered , then my lack of sleep caught up with me, so I took a two hour nap .

Now, I have to change the front matter slightly , read to see what it is I have to do , then upload it , make sure their are no problems with their version ...

I'm going, I'm going,...
In an impactful way

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #850
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

I want it on my Kindle app.

And I want it NOW!

But it looks like you're just sitting around doing nothing...

::runs::

ETA: Did you really have cake for breakfast?