Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #751
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Today I went to our local indie bookstore and there was a guy pushing his books. I mean, really pushing. It was... just ew. A good lesson in how not to do a book signing.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #752
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
HJ there really is an art to doing a good book signing. Sad that you experienced a bad one. Maybe we should start a school for how to do signings.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #753
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakesbear View Post
HJ there really is an art to doing a good book signing. Sad that you experienced a bad one. Maybe we should start a school for how to do signings.
Rule 1: No hitting on the married patrons.

Rule 2: If the customer walks away with a politely bored look on her face, LET HER GO.

What else?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #754
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Rule #3: Stand, eye level with prospective folks and be friendly. It's not a good idea to just sit the whole time. That's really a psychological thing. Not to sit because it makes it so they have to look down at you. If you stand it shows more confidence.

On Amazon.

Last edited by HistorySleuth; 02-11-2012 at 07:33 AM.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #755
Shakesbear

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
Rule #4: Try to have some other people there for the prospective buyers to talk to. When the Sharpe Chefs http://www.thesharpechefs.com/ have a signing we always try to have some of the members of the 95th Rifles present.

Rule #5 Think about your personal presentation - do you look like a hen in a fit or a smart/casually dressed person who could hang a sentence together.

Rule #6 Don't use scent/aftershave. Some buyers have allergies.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #756
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Can we just apply this to life, please? Mama gets migraines from this.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #757
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Can we just apply this to life, please? Mama gets migraines from this.
Word! There is nothing worse than simply walking past someone and suddenly having a mini-coughing fit because a chemical residue has forked the back of your throat.

Society has a number of light-scented almost imperceptible deodorants. Let's all just stick with those.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com

Last edited by DocBrown; 02-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #758
HistorySleuth

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Double word! I'm one of those people! Got to watch in my house even with deodorants (Axe is banned.) It's like my throat starts to close and it's hard to breath.

On Amazon.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #759
Shakesbear

HJ so with you about applying the scent/aftershave to life.

Please check out the trailer for the Shakespeare Sandwich. The newsreaders are the ones from the local BBC station, Look East. Parts of the news reel are from my script!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61B4s...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #760
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:

Please check out the trailer for the Shakespeare Sandwich. The newsreaders are the ones from the local BBC station, Look East. Parts of the news reel are from my script!

Neat!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #761
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Just popping in to say hello, but I'm at the SciFi Ball in Bournemouth, being a geek. Got a bit of writing done in my notebook but really just been hanging around, talking my favourite actor / muse and being generally silly. Back to Prague and reality tomorrow night. I'll get a chance to spend some time in London first though.

However, my firstest ever short story has just been published! So far I think only my dad has bought the magazine though.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #762
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelenka View Post
Just popping in to say hello, but I'm at the SciFi Ball in Bournemouth, being a geek. Got a bit of writing done in my notebook but really just been hanging around, talking my favourite actor / muse and being generally silly. Back to Prague and reality tomorrow night. I'll get a chance to spend some time in London first though.

However, my firstest ever short story has just been published! So far I think only my dad has bought the magazine though.
and congratulations!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #763
GailD
Plotting the breakthrough...

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Congrats, Shakesbear! I just wish I was there to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHDmkv2gpX0

Congrats, Zelenka. This ^ is for you too.

The Branch of Thorns - my s/story in the African American Review (Vol 46.1) on sale now.

New blog - Write, Right and Research. Part 3 (Final) UPDATED DEC 1st. With pictures!!

GailD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #764
French Maiden
practical experience, FTW

French Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admiration
I know for most of you here this is a little early but it's the end of the day here so

~HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY~

I got an e-mail tonight from baby Charm's breeder she sent me a little valentine's gift - More pictures!!!

This is all 5 girls (Charm is one of them) from 2 different litters.

French Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #765
Shakesbear

Awww French Maiden they are so cute. I am so envious!

Thanks HJ and GailD.

Sunday afternoon was the last run through in the rehearsal space. Yesterday evening was the tech run through in the Corn Hall. O my! It was long and boring as tech run throughs tend to be. Tonight was a semi tech and dress run through. Tomorrow is the dress rehearsal. Then three public performances. It has been a strange experience to see and hear my work become live on stage. It has also been an enlightening experience. I am Prompt and following the spoken word with the script in front of me suddenly gave me an insight into how the really bad versions of Shakespeare's plays could have happened. The way the order of the words are changed by some of the actors is quite surprising. And the moments of total barmpottery are jaw dropping. Tonight the actor who has to announce Lady MacBeth's death entered on the wrong side of the stage, ran across the stage and disappeared. He then came back on stage from the correct side and said, gasping for breath "She's dead!" * It was so funny - everyone got the giggles and he got a round of applause. It is getting better and the actors, now the production has moved to the acting space and they have lights, music and sound effects are really improving. I am looking forward to the 'real thing'.

*I suppose this was better than the actor who rushed on stage and said "The queen, my Lord, is NOT dead!"
MacBeth turned and said "Get thee hence and see how the queen does now."

Old 02-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #766
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

It sounds like a hoot, Shakes! Keep us posted.

Happy V Day, all. I'm celebrating by making myself chocolate covered strawberries. Hubby brought me some flowers he "found lying around" and then he criticized my cooking. Feelin' the romance here!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #767
DocBrown

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
HJ, was it a good critique?

I had planned on spending the evening quietly watching Japanese anime, but somehow managed to get called into work and wash dishes for five hours.
In an impactful way

Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #768
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Hey all, finally back in CZ. And have finally succumbed to the cold that's wanted to get me for the last two months, but at least it waited until I got home from the convention. Spent Valentine's Day doing a tour of Prague Castle and warned the tourists that any mention of said day was banned for the duration as for the 32nd year of my life I am yet again single. Got a few laughs.

Had a great time in Bournemouth though, got to dress up silly, even got a little bit of writing done and an idea for another project as well. I have a month now to recover before the next event!

HJ - now you have made me want chocolate covered strawberries. Shall have to stop by Marks & Spencer on the way to work tonight.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #769
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
HJ, was it a good critique?
::shakes head sadly::

Surely you know better.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #770
Shakesbear

Tonights dress rehearsal was sooo good. Best performance so far. I am so tired ... off to bed!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #771
Shakesbear

Posting after myself... the first night was the BEST! (so far) Two more performances. The second half of the Sandwich was Midsummer - a new take on Midsummer Night's Dream - I am lost for words. The cast were all pupils from the local high school and they were just so good. Very clever production with lots of laughter.

Best bit for me? The audience laughed at my jokes!

Old 02-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #772
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

That's awesome, Shakes!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #773
DocBrown

Good for you SB.
In an impactful way

Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #774
Shakesbear

Thank you both. Tonight was, well, WOW! I sat through the Macbeth/Dirty Duck bit in a state of total awestruckness (going Shakespeare and making up my own words) at the skill of the Players. They were just so good. Second night that I sat and said nothing - did I say I am the prompt? I did not stay for Midsummer - just wanted to be at home and think about the production.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #775
HistorySleuth

Well I entered a poetry contest here at AW, Dreams, Visions or Nightmares. Now I'm not much of a poet but Ambrosia wanted enteries, so I entered.

I don't read much poetry either, but wow, I'm having a real hard time picking only three!!! There's some brilliant work there. You guys should go over and give it a lookie-lou and vote. (Besides, it will help make Ambrosia's contest a success.)

On Amazon.