Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > NaNoWriMo and Beyond
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
TLPhillps
figuring it all out

TLPhillps is on a distinguished road
NaNoWriMo 2011

Well everyone NaNoWriMo 2011 is just around the corner hope everyone is ready! I know I am! It's time to start stocking up on the essentials, Coffee, sugar, cream, lots of sugary snacks, and a giant do not disturb sign for my office door.

November 1st is just around the corner and for those participating this year I have only one thing to say: Let's see an AW writer bring it home this year! Who's with me?

Everything I write makes perfect sense... until I wake up that is.

Current Genre focus: Urban Fantasy - YA

Walking Among Humans - 53k words - heading into editing in October

The Guardians (working title) - NaNo Novel - Outline finally completed and ready for November 1!
TLPhillps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Anne Lyle
Fantastic historian

Location: Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's hard to tell.
Anne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputation
I'm sort of hoping to do NaNoWriMo this year - I haven't done it with a shiny new project since 2007

I'd like to do a quick'n'dirty draft of book 3 in my trilogy before I finish book 2, to make it easier to tie them together. However doing this in November possibly depends on how far I get with book 2 in the meantime! If I get really, really stuck with book 2, I may use NaNoWriMo to give me the final push, although that probably will mean less than 50k.

We'll see...

Anne Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
toldyouso
Surly Temple

toldyouso has a spectacular aura
I've never signed up before, but I'm sorely tempted to this time. Sounds like the right kind of crazy to shake things up. I'm in the middle of a WIP but the first draft may be done in time for me to jump into NaNo for an insane kind of holiday...
Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Snitchcat
Drifting through the clouds

Snitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Haven't done NaNo in a couple of years now. Doesn't appeal any more, or so I say at this point. Might join in. We'll see. :P
Dare you to click:
Snitchcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Mclesh
It's too hot

Mclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
2010 was my first NaNoWriMo. I "won," ending up with a 52,000K first draft. (Much to my surprise, when I submitted my novel, the word count ended up being about 1,500 words short, so I had to add a bit at the end.)

I don't know if I'll actually write a new one this year, but I'd really like to finish mine from last year and add another 20K. I haven't had a chance to get back to it -- the draft is sitting there -- but it's something I definitely plan on finishing.

Btw, it was a great experience, albeit a bit crazy. (I'm a little afraid to go back and read it now.)

Facebook, Twitter
Website, Goodreads, Pinterest

Check out Grandma Susie's book of love poems on Createspace!

When all else fails, just Lavern it. ~ Lavern
Let's just hit people with sticks. ~ alleycat
Mclesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
MissAimee
I'm just a girl.

MissAimee has a spectacular aura
I'm thinking about doing it this year, even if I don't finish, it would be a great way to actually get in the habit of writing.
MissAimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
Jamiekswriter
The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write!

Jamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admiration
I'm in! I'm going to be doing a steampunk YA called Gearkin!
http://www.amazon.com/Shifting-Curre...fting+currents
Jamiekswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm sure I'll do something in November. Not sure if it'll be a 50k-effort though...

If I'm going to devote a month to writing (working around other commitments) then I should really try to finish a couple of things that are still only half-done - not start something new.

We'll see...
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
AnnieColleen
Re-NaNoing

AnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Noo, November can't be that close already!

(but of course I'm in...)

When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: "House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day."
~Neil Gaiman
AnnieColleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #10
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hell to the yeah.

Now that I've got my writing mojo back, I'm going all NaNo all the TIME!

Of course, we have nano's every month, but the full on real nano adds some spark for some reason. Maybe it's the energy from a bazillion hopefuls, all cracking open a new page on a new novel at the very same time.

I've got a lot to do before Nov 1st, tho, so not getting too excited yet.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
K. Taylor
Bah Humbug

K. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What else would I do in November?

K. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Aquarius
Got the hang of it, here

Aquarius is on a distinguished road
My first two 'novels' (I say this because while there was a beginning, middle, and ending, some of those plot holes I came up with, one could drive a truck through) from a trilogy came out of scribbling like a crazy woman during Nano so of course, I'm doing it again.

Last year, I, technically wasn't considered a winner because I went into as a Nano Rebel. I'm kinda of considering doing the same this year.

One thing I'm probably not going to do...

Drink my way (mostly wine coolers with the occasional beer) through it. While it did a beautiful job at shutting up my inner editor and while I did get some perfectly legible stuff down, for a while after nano, I couldn't write AT ALL without it.

*shudders*
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #13
R.S. Dean
Not as crazy as she seems

R.S. Dean is on a distinguished road
I'm definitely going to give it a shot. I didn't make the count last year, but things are infinitely less busy/stressful now.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #14
ebennet68
Avoids editing by procrastinating

ebennet68 has earned our admirationebennet68 has earned our admirationebennet68 has earned our admirationebennet68 has earned our admiration
Last year was my first Nano which I "won" with a word count of 56K. I think I'll try it again this year but I'm a little nervous to tell the truth as I've had a long struggle with my inner editor this year. I'm going to have to lock her up and throw away the key if I'm going to succeed!

"If a teacher told me to revise, I thought that meant my writing was a broken-down car that needed to go to the repair shop. I felt insulted. I didn't realize the teacher was saying, 'Make it shine. It's worth it.' Now I see revision as a beautiful word of hope. It's a new vision of something. It means you don't have to be perfect the first time. What a relief!" —Naomi Shihab Nye
ebennet68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #15
Kathleen_
practical experience, FTW

Kathleen_ has a spectacular aura
Last year I used Nano tocrack out the first 50K of a draft. This year I may be a Nano rebel and crack out the last 50K of another draft, but we'll see. It depends on how much time I have in the lead up to write the first part of the draft! I write to a strick outline and spend just as much time getting that perfect as I do cracking out the first draft and I've only just started the outlining. Plus I am job hunting...
Kathleen_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #16
FabricatedParadise
Can be bribed with circus peanuts

FabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm going to wave the newb flag here and ask:

1) Where can I find details about NaNoWriMo? I have a rough idea of what it is and have seen it mentioned, but would like to see something in depth. It sounds like ... well I was going to say fun, but really it sounds like a lot of hard writing. I want in!

2) what is steampunk?
FabricatedParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #17
Mclesh
It's too hot

Mclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's the link:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisn...eng/whatisnano

It's a lot of fun. Lindsey Grant, et al., send out little emails to all those who register for NaNoWriMo urging them on.

The email from Lemony Snickett was especially funny. He urged us all to quit now while we still could.

Good luck!

Facebook, Twitter
Website, Goodreads, Pinterest

Check out Grandma Susie's book of love poems on Createspace!

When all else fails, just Lavern it. ~ Lavern
Let's just hit people with sticks. ~ alleycat
Mclesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #18
FabricatedParadise

FabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclesh View Post
Here's the link:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisn...eng/whatisnano

It's a lot of fun. Lindsey Grant, et al., send out little emails to all those who register for NaNoWriMo urging them on.

The email from Lemony Snickett was especially funny. He urged us all to quit now while we still could.

Good luck!
Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #19
Kathleen_
practical experience, FTW

Kathleen_ has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricatedParadise View Post

2) what is steampunk?
The broad idea is it's sci-fi set in a Victorianish society where technology went the way of steam and clockwork. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
Kathleen_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #20
FabricatedParadise

It does seem like fun, and I'm going to sign up. I'm not sure how productive I'll be though. I'm a compulsive editor. For instance, I'm on Ch 12 of my WIP and I've already had 7 drafts. I tend to write a chapter, edit everything I've written to date, write another chapter, edit everything, so on and so forth. I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to bury my compulsion to edit for an entire month. We'll see how it goes!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #21
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You could try to write the "nanowrimoway" for just one book (ie: 1666 a day every day, no editing no looking back or re-reading), see if you can do it? I'm thinking about coming up with some other challenge for myself.... like instead of 2k a day go 3k a day for a month.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #22
WriterCampbell
demented but nice

WriterCampbell is on a distinguished road
Of course I'll be in for Nano 2011! Been participating for 3 years now and doing the same for Script Frenzy.
WriterCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #23
MarlynnOfMany
figuring it all out

MarlynnOfMany is on a distinguished road
I'm looking forward to it, as always! The current New Idea for this year is a fantasy about a barbarian super-spy. Her name is Gnasher. It should be lots of fun!
MarlynnOfMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #24
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
NaNo seems too close, just having finished Camp NaNo.

Unfortunately, I used my planned NaNo novel for Camp NaNo/Three-day Novel, so I don't know what to do for NaNo. All I know is I don't want another November of putting down words for the sake of words, so hopefully inspiration will strike and will stick with me.

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Want to beta? Rep or PM me.
Query in progress here.

Taylor-Made, version 4: 85% done (according to v.3 on Kindle)
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #25
FabricatedParadise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
NaNo seems too close, just having finished Camp NaNo.

Unfortunately, I used my planned NaNo novel for Camp NaNo/Three-day Novel, so I don't know what to do for NaNo. All I know is I don't want another November of putting down words for the sake of words, so hopefully inspiration will strike and will stick with me.
What's your genre of choice?

I'm planning to just open my notebook of ideas to a random page and writing that for NaNoWriMo