Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #476
Bookgirl2021
A place where dreams are born

Location: In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
Bookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think there are a couple/few grad students in here. I'm kind of debating going on to grad school when I finish, but it depends on if I do education. If I go into education, I'm getting a job, working for a few years, and *THEN* getting a masters.

Awaking Melody: FINISHED! (12/26/13)
Mirror Effect: 2/65K

OLS: Editing

My Website/Personal Blog
A BookGirl's Reviews
Bookgirl2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #477
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolness
I'm planning to do graduate school in either 2013 or 2014. I missed the deadline for fall 2012 soooo.... yeah. I'm planning to go for my master's in library science.

Places you can find me other than AW:
Blog!
Twitter (tweet tweet)

YA Contemporary: (52,000) Querying. *bites nails*
V!0L3NT D3L!GHTS: (70,800) Trunked.
TH3 R0S3 K!NGD0M: (74,000) Trunked forever.
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #478
legendary bum
needs to change her sheets

legendary bum is well-respected
Finals chewed me up and spit me out. Jesus, I'm glad it's summer.

The things they are doing and saying--sometimes they make no sense. Did their brains fall out of their heads? And why so much saying, so much talking all the time day and night, all those words spilling out of those mouths? Why so much? Why don't they be quiet?"

-- Sharon Creech, The Unfinished Angel
legendary bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #479
Bookgirl2021

Location: In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
Bookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tee hee... Getting paid to write is awesome. Even if it's only $3/~200 words.

My Website/Personal Blog
A BookGirl's Reviews
Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #480
casualrungal
practical experience, FTW

casualrungal has a spectacular aura
Another failed afternoon in the library -- made the mistake of keeping my WIP document pulled up while I was supposed to be studying for history. I kept going back and writing snippets, and then 2 hours later, I'd only gotten through 10 pages of reading... FML.

You know what's the worst? When everyone's done with finals and you're left with an exam on the last possible day! Horrible!

For those of you who are finished (I'm envious), how's your summer going so far? Reading lots? Any good book recommendations? How's writing going? Gahh I cannot WAIT to get home and do some hardcore revisions!

Does anyone have particular summer writing goals (i.e. finish your WIP, start querying, submitting, what have you)?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #481
Bookgirl2021

I have a goal that I've had for months, but haven't seemed to make myself stick to: finish Awaking Melody. I've been on the same section for...I don't even know how long anymore. I also need to work on revisions on One Lantern Short--most of which are expansions. Plus I'd kind of like to get started on Styx and Fire. ...We'll see how much I actually do....

My Website/Personal Blog
A BookGirl's Reviews
Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #482
fredXgeorge
I heart sexy elves and wizards.

fredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewelfredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley0501 View Post
fredxgeorge Where're you in Aus.? I studied there last year and absolutely loved it.

And sadly yes sometimes debt can be that much. I am very, very lucky in my case.
That's really sad

Ooh cool. In Victoria, about an hour and a half away from Melbourne. Where did you study?

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
- J.K. Rowling
fredXgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #483
chocowrites
scaredy cat

chocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
just this history paper standing between me and summer, but I am getting nowhere

when you have no thesis it's doom, dooooom
chocowrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #484
casualrungal

casualrungal has a spectacular aura
You can do it, Choco!!!

I've got 2 exams left
I think I can... I think I can...
Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #485
kuwisdelu
It's the curse of Eva.

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post
Any grad students in this thread?? I'm a 2nd year phD student, so I didn't know if I counted or if this was more for undergrads lol
I don't know. *shrug*

I'm a PhD student.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #486
Channy
Me Gusta

Channy is well-respected
Do you count as college student, if you're only doing online courses from your community college? >_>
Channy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #487
AmandaS
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

AmandaS is on a distinguished road
Channy - Of course that counts! You're enrolled in college, aren't you?

I really feel for all of you that still have exams. I finished last Wednesday, but my family flew in the same day for my graduation and they've kept me busy. They just left this morning, so I'm counting today as my first official day of summer! Woohoo!
AmandaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #488
Paige Lollie

Paige Lollie is on a distinguished road
Hello, I am a college-student writing for the young-adult/teens and wondered if I might join this party

Paige Lollie's Facebook

The Dream Words

BlackBelt FF.net
Paige Lollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #489
Channy
Me Gusta

Channy is well-respected
Haha, thanks.

but I have to ask, what's the major difference between teens writing for YA vs College student writing for YA. Is the couple year age gap really that impending?
Channy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #490
Bookgirl2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channy View Post
Haha, thanks.

but I have to ask, what's the major difference between teens writing for YA vs College student writing for YA. Is the couple year age gap really that impending?
The TWFT thread has been around for a few years, and about half the people on it have been on it since they were teens (even if they're not teens anymore--myself, Margo, and Para being among the oldest). They just stayed there partly because of community. This thread hasn't been around as long, and I think it was started by people who weren't sure where they belonged. So that's basically it. There's really not much of a difference, other than when people came on to AW. Those who've been here longer (since they were teens) tend to stick with TWFT, and those who join while they're in college/not teens but still young adults tend to just jump into this thread.

My Website/Personal Blog
A BookGirl's Reviews
Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #491
Smiley0501

Smiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolness
Hello! I have returned from being away for the weekend and I got my grades...I am graduating college with a 3.2 (4.0 is highest). So proud of myself. I got all A's or A-'s this semester (minus 1 pesky C+ but that class was hard).
I've also been reading quite a bit. Yay for having free time!

Blog!
Twitter (tweet tweet)

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #492
Bookgirl2021

A 3.2 is pretty good. It's higher than what I've got right now. (-_-)

And I've actually been writing! Which is very happy.

My Website/Personal Blog
A BookGirl's Reviews
Old 05-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #493
Smiley0501

Woot for writing more!!!

Also, fredxgeorge, I studied in Brisbane. Loved it and did heaps of travelling. (Melbourne, South island of New Zealand, Sydney) I miss it a lot.

Blog!
Twitter (tweet tweet)

Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #494
Bookgirl2021

I've written about 1k since yesterday evening. That's 1k more than I've written in FOREVER.

My Website/Personal Blog
A BookGirl's Reviews
Old 05-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #495
Smiley0501

Keep at it, girl

I'm back to revising which feels oh so good. Hoping to have this thing completed by September. *whistles* Hopefully...

Oh, and I'm reading F@ult !n 0ur $tars.

Blog!
Twitter (tweet tweet)

Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #496
Bookgirl2021

For some reason I haven't been able to concentrate on any of my normal reading.... Maybe that would explain why it's been so difficult to write. I haven't been reading much, if at all....

My Website/Personal Blog
A BookGirl's Reviews
Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #497
The Illusionist

The Illusionist is on a distinguished road
You are all making me so jealous! My exams don't start until June and I won't be done for the summer until the end of June still almost two months to go!

Portable Magic - A blog about the wonderful world of words.

Twitter - Mostly all about anything book/publishing/writing/editing related.
The Illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #498
Smiley0501

Kat, you can get through it. Don't worry. I had a month of hellish school stuff (I didn't write or revise during that time); I know what it is like.

Blog!
Twitter (tweet tweet)

Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #499
Bookgirl2021

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to crash for a little while, make food, watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch, or try and push my way through this chapter of AM. ...I honestly don't know which option is the most tempting....

My Website/Personal Blog
A BookGirl's Reviews
Old 05-17-2012, 03:24 AM   #500
AmandaS

AmandaS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookgirl2021 View Post
For some reason I haven't been able to concentrate on any of my normal reading.... Maybe that would explain why it's been so difficult to write. I haven't been reading much, if at all....
I'm having the opposite problem at the moment. I've been reading so much (I've gone through four books in five days) because I haven't been able to read for fun in so long. The problem is I've been spending too much time reading, and not enough time writing! Wherever you end up finding your motivation, will you look for mine? Maybe they're hiding out together.