Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #751
eqb
I write books

eqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The SFWA website has no lower limit for Nebulas or membership requirements. You don't need to guess, you just need to read what's posted. It's pretty clear, IMO.

Door-stopper is an old term, far older than Sandra. (Who is a great writer, but no, she didn't coin that phrase.)
Old 03-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #752
WordCount
You don't have coffee? Go away.

WordCount is a shiny, shiny jewelWordCount is a shiny, shiny jewel
Yeah, door-stopper is an often used term.

Eqb: I'm not applying to awards, I was just stating that the Nebulas have different standards than others.
Part of the Job: An Edward Shelton Murder Mystery--editing, proofreading. The works.

Here is my latest idea for a project. It's in the works. Any thoughts and comments will be extremely appreciated, whether you tell me it's gold or utter crap. Leave a comment and get a +1.
WordCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #753
eqb
I write books

eqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordCount View Post
Eqb: I'm not applying to awards, I was just stating that the Nebulas have different standards than others.
The Nebulas use the same length definitions for their categories as the Hugos and the Locus Awards.

That said, the only important length requirements for this thread are what the Musa guidelines state, which are also very clear.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #754
Prophetsnake
practical experience, FTW

Prophetsnake is a shiny, shiny jewelProphetsnake is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
You've stated quite clearly throughout this thread a whole laundry list of things you will NOT do:

Quote:
I don't edit for royalties
Quote:
I would not submit to a publisher who paid their editors in royalties,
Quote:
I don't want editors or cover artists sharing my byline, nor do I want an editor sharing my royalties for the life of my book.
Well, for myself, a first time author shopping for a good publisher, this, as well as many other things said here, sold me on submitting to Musa. I've been accepted elsewhere and I got the feeling from the publisher that it was all down to myself to sell the book. I have no idea how those people make money, I really don't. If they are reliant solely on my marketing skills my book will be one rare item in the future.
I gather that there are a few publishers like that out there.
MsCelina seems very, erm pro-active (how did that ever become a word?)
I want my book to sell. I want everyone in the world to know what I think and how clever I am! I want my publisher, editor etc. to want that too.
Good old averice is a marvelous fuel to drive that engine.
Prophetsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #755
lweinberg18

lweinberg18 is well-respected
Quote:
erm pro-active (how did that ever become a word?
Off-topic, but it used to be a filler/non-sense word. But, it's been popular in business for a while now so, it actually means something now!

My new website. (http://laneheymont.com/)

Oh, and I Twitter!
lweinberg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #756
frolzagain

frolzagain is on a distinguished road
Wanted to post an update because I got my final cover art today (yay!) I love how it turned out! (See sig below to see it.) Also, have been working with my editor for awhile now and she has been very helpful and easy to work with. Overall my experience with them has been great. Of course, the book hasn't released yet and only time will tell how well it does but the journey of getting published with them has been a good one!

Nightfire is now available! Click here!

Check out my paranormal blog! http://www.paranormalpursuits.net

I also blog about writing http://alysonburdette.blogspot.com/
frolzagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #757
Haunted_October
Ready to kick the WIP's butt!

Haunted_October is on a distinguished road
Wanted to post an update because I got my final cover art today (yay!) I love how it turned out! (See sig below to see it.) Also, have been working with my editor for awhile now and she has been very helpful and easy to work with. Overall my experience with them has been great. Of course, the book hasn't released yet and only time will tell how well it does but the journey of getting published with them has been a good one!

I signed with Musa around the 9th of February and can't wait to get into cover art and editing

ETA: Nice cover art! I just went to your blog to see the larger image.

Libby Bishop (romance writing alter-ego): twitter / blog

Last edited by Haunted_October; 03-26-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Haunted_October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #758
lweinberg18

Congrats! And thanks, that reminded me that I have a question for Celina, and did not want to PM her without permission.

I submitted (embarrassed to say) the wrong copy of a short story that was under the min. word count. Is it okay to resubmit the copt of the story with the right word count?

Oh, and I Twitter!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #759
frolzagain

Thanks guys! And congrats haunted!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #760
LadyLex

LadyLex is well-respected
Congrat Frolzagain! I just went over to your blog and joined. Love the cover! I'm eyeing Musa for a novella.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #761
mscelina
Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you

Location: Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
mscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
Congrats! And thanks, that reminded me that I have a question for Celina, and did not want to PM her without permission.

I submitted (embarrassed to say) the wrong copy of a short story that was under the min. word count. Is it okay to resubmit the copt of the story with the right word count?
Is this for Musa or Penumbra? Either way, send the correct file and mention in your query email that you've spoken with me and to remove the incorrect file from consideration and use this one instead.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #762
lweinberg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscelina View Post
Is this for Musa or Penumbra? Either way, send the correct file and mention in your query email that you've spoken with me and to remove the incorrect file from consideration and use this one instead.
Musa. Thanks, Celina! You rock.

Oh, and I Twitter!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #763
lweinberg18

Hi Celina, just resent the query for the right story! Thanks again!

Oh, and I Twitter!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #764
frolzagain

Thanks Ladylex! I just popped over to follow your blog as well!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #765
LadyLex

LadyLex is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by frolzagain View Post
Thanks Ladylex! I just popped over to follow your blog as well!

Thanks! And good luck!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #766
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
What's the word count for a short story with Musa Publishing?

And does Musa have a lot of IR/MC Romance/Erotica titles?

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #767
lweinberg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post

Short story = 5,000+ word count

Oh, and I Twitter!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #768
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
Short story = 5,000+ word count
Thanks.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #769
Lorna Peel
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Lorna Peel is on a distinguished road
Smile

Does anyone know how long it takes for a response to a request for a full manuscript? I sent mine on 19 February 2012 and I'm wondering if it's too early to follow it up?

Don't want to ruin my chances by being too impatient! :-)
Lorna Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #770
mscelina

Location: Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
mscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Did you send it to Musa proper or was it for the YA, speculative fiction, or GLBT imprints?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #771
Lorna Peel

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it was to Musa, the Calliope Imprint.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #772
mscelina

PM me the title and I might be able to find something out for you. That was six days after my surgery, so I was still in the hospital.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #773
Lorna Peel

PM sent.

Many thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #774
FoamyRules
Hamtaro Rules

FoamyRules is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I'm also wondering about this myself
Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #775
mscelina

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamyRules View Post
I'm also wondering about this myself
We are currently building those imprints. Calliope is our romance imprint; Erato is GLBT. I'm in the process of promoting an editor to run the Calliope imprint and we already have a fantastic head editor at Erato. As a matter of fact, our Orpheus GLBT writing contest just closed to entries and is in judging right now. Since our launch in October, we have 13 m/f erotic titles,19 straight romance titles, and 16 GLBT titles with multiple titles for each imprint on our forthcoming release schedule. We are also building a YA GLBT line, which is one of our primary focuses as we head into the summer. You can browse through our currently released titles at our website and take a look at the authors who have published with us in our romance imprints.

But the answer is--YES. We have thriving romance imprints, and those imprints are actively evaluating submissions.