Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
allz28
No Stranger To Rejection

allz28 is well-respected
Writing Someone's Height

What is the proper way to write someone's height using AP Style or Chicago? Or more importantly, how would you suggest writing it in a list that is being submitted to McSweeney's?

Six-foot-one

6 foot 1

6' 1''

or something else?
allz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Cathy C
Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Absolute Sage

Cathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I guess my question is whether it's important to the text to show it. Is it non-fiction or fiction? In fiction, it would only be relevant to the person identifying the person and there are much more interesting ways to convey the information.

But according to the Chicago Manual,
Quote:
Numbers & units. Generally, do not mix numbers that are spelled out with symbols, write out the term for the symbols as well. For example, write: the temperature was 45 , or forty-five degrees; $20 or twenty dollars. Chicago style makes an exception for percentages: it is OK to write 45 percent.
So 6'1" would probably be fine in narrative. In dialogue, spell out the words because they're being spoken.
Re-release of Thrall series as URBAN FANTASY!
FORBIDDEN, coming 6/15!
My Website
Follow me: Twitter

".Adams and Clamp are adept at incorporating riveting plot twists into this fully imagined world" **Starred Review ALA Booklist

"Great chemistry between the leads and a swift pace. - Publishers Weekly

"An exceedingly intriguing heroine trying to survive a dangerous and complex world. Kate's struggles and choices are both vivid and terrifying. An unbeatably good paranormal! RT Bookreviews
Cathy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Snick
Banned

Snick is a shiny, shiny jewelSnick is a shiny, shiny jewel
Cathy C is right. Use either 6' 1" or six feet one inch. Whether you use numbers of letters is largely dictated by the kind of writing you are doing.
Snick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
allz28
No Stranger To Rejection

allz28 is well-respected
Okay, thanks for the quick responses!

Like I mentioned, this is for a List Submission to McSweeney's. So it's not in dialogue. It's not even a story.

I'll go with 6' 1"
allz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

absitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admiration
Do remember that the feet and inches symbols should be primes and not curly quotes!
absitinvidia is offline   Reply With Quote