Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Hands-On
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
Kevans
Fish from another stream

Kevans is well-respected
Gunsmithing

Scored a new barrel today. (18 inch bull pup marksman model) It fits a Ruger 10 22 action, I'm going to get a old action and build me a steam punk side arm. Probably a pistol with an eighteen inch barrel, complete with top mounted scope.
Regards,
Kevin
Kevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If it has an eighteen inch barrel, it's probably going to be classified as a rifle, not a pistol. All it needs to be counted as a rifle is a sixteen inch barrel, and an overall length of twenty-six inches.

This saves a lot of hassle with permits, and where and how you can carry and use it. I'd love to see the completed version.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Kevans
Fish from another stream

Kevans is well-respected
It is mostly an excuse to carve a custom stock, the Ruger action is very reliable, and the rest of the parts are literally found hardware.

I am thinking of an English civil war grip, stock, with brass banding, and perhaps a detachable shoulder extension. It will be something decorative, that shoots straight.

Give it three or four months, I have a pair of novels to finish first. Sigh.

Regards,

Kevin
Kevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevans View Post
It is mostly an excuse to carve a custom stock, the Ruger action is very reliable, and the rest of the parts are literally found hardware.

I am thinking of an English civil war grip, stock, with brass banding, and perhaps a detachable shoulder extension. It will be something decorative, that shoots straight.

Give it three or four months, I have a pair of novels to finish first. Sigh.

Regards,

Kevin
the 10/22 is great rifle, but I never thought anyone would come out with a .22 that you can, if you wish, spend thousands on. I have friend who have done just this.

Yours sounds like it will be beautiful. Be sure to post pics.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
skylark
practical experience, FTW

skylark is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
the 10/22 is great rifle, but I never thought anyone would come out with a .22 that you can, if you wish, spend thousands on. I have friend who have done just this.

Yours sounds like it will be beautiful. Be sure to post pics.
If I bought my target .22 today, new, it would cost in excess of $5000 before I spent any extra money on it at all.

I agree, would love to see pics. I may use the latest aluminium model but I think hand carved wooden stocks are gorgeous
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
If I bought my target .22 today, new, it would cost in excess of $5000 before I spent any extra money on it at all.

I agree, would love to see pics. I may use the latest aluminium model but I think hand carved wooden stocks are gorgeous
You don't happen to know anyone who makes custom aluminum stocks, do you?
Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
skylark
practical experience, FTW

skylark is well-respected
The closest to custom I know of is these folks:

http://www.hps-tr.com/prods_ultra_stocks.asp

That strange burbling noise you hear is the sound of me coveting one.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
The closest to custom I know of is these folks:

http://www.hps-tr.com/prods_ultra_stocks.asp

That strange burbling noise you hear is the sound of me coveting one.
Thanks for the link. Didn't know about these guys. Sure are pretty.