Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Short Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Detri Redmond
Apprentice Wordslinger

Detri Redmond is well-respected
POV Question

Hey Everyone,

I've recently become interested in giving shorts a try, and have come to respect them even more. Not as easy to write them as I thought in my ignorance.

Anyways, which point of view is recommended. I know it should be whatever the story calls for but I've noticed that a lot of the shorts I've read recently are in first. Does this point of view engage the reader into the story more than the others?

Thanks in advance and I'm open to all advice should someone be so inclined to give any.

Hostess, pfft! Reppies... now that's the
stuff.

"Write the book you love, without fear. " - AW member Toothpaste
Detri Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I would say it depends on the genre. I read lots of fantasy and they are usually in 3rd person or omni. But they are by no means limited to those.

1st can work well if you know how to apply without the reader getting a bad case of I did this followed by and I did that syndrome...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

Last edited by thothguard51; 06-07-2011 at 06:31 AM.
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You already know the answer.

Any story, whether it's a short or a novel, can be engaging in any POV. So, use the POV that a) works for the story, and b) works with your particular personal style (for example, I tend to write in first, present. I sometimes use other POV/tense choices, but my stories tend to naturally come to be in first, present. That's my personal style).

Write a compelling story. POV and tense should fade into the background. If readers are focusing on your POV/tense instead of the actual story, something's wrong with the story.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
Detri Redmond
Apprentice Wordslinger

Thoth: I actually don't like to write or read in first. I think my genre of choice will be sci-fi/fantasy and different variations of. Most of the stories I've read recently where from Clarksworld so I started to wonder if 1st person was something they preferred.

Smish: I agree I should write a compelling story. I was just curious if readers related to any of the pov's better. Noob

stuff.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have no preference so long as the PoV is engaging, and that includes omni...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detri Redmond View Post
Smish: I agree I should write a compelling story. I was just curious if readers related to any of the pov's better. Noob
Every reader is going to have his or her own preferences. You can't please everyone.

Just write. Too often, writers get hung up on the smaller details, and never get their stories written. I'm guilty of that, myself. I get hung up on opening paragraphs, and sometimes it takes days or weeks for me to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
I have no preference so long as the PoV is engaging, and that includes omni...
Likewise.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
faerydancer
practical experience, FTW

faerydancer is a shiny, shiny jewelfaerydancer is a shiny, shiny jewel
Good advice from all. I just wanted to add that you can always go back and change the POV. I've found that several stories I started in one POV were eventually changed to another in revision. Just get the story out then tinker.

Off to go take my own advice...
-----

Little Brother - Bards & Sages Quarterly - January 2012
The Bachorum Principle - Fantastique Unfettered - December 2011
Maribelle Remembers Ice - Niteblade - September 2011
faerydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Detri Redmond
Apprentice Wordslinger

Thanks everyone

stuff.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Detri Redmond
Apprentice Wordslinger

Sorry, have a question to add...is their a target age range for the MC of speculative fiction genres?

stuff.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Eldrich
figuring it all out

Eldrich is on a distinguished road
I'm just speaking for myself, but I think different aged protagonists can add some interesting perspectives to the stories.

For some reason, only movies are coming to mind. I think very young girl is a particular trope, My neighbor Totoro, or whatever that was called, Spirited Away, (I think this does go beyond Miyazaki, but that's what's coming to mind)

and I think there Disney/Pixar's UP was very interestingly about a much older man, (also had a very young boy), and the other weird example that comes to mine is the really old couple in Batteries Not Included.

But if I had to guess, I'd say the majority of stories feature young adults, in their 20s and 30s. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.
Eldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
Detri Redmond
Apprentice Wordslinger

I was assuming that was a "safe" range but wanted to write one with a teenaged MC.

Edit: Found this on an internet search using google. O_o

http://www.absolutewrite.com/special...ling_short.htm

stuff.

Last edited by Detri Redmond; 06-07-2011 at 08:09 PM.