Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #23826
amlptj
Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!

amlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm posting it here to get minor feedback, just mainly which version do you like more? Which one reads better? Do they both suck? Are they both ok?

VERSION 1
Quote:
“Order, order in the club house,” Pip said jokingly as he started spinning in his desk chair. Pipkin McClennen with his short sickly thin and pale complexion wasn’t the type of person to scream “power”. His spiked dark red hair didn’t even move as he spun several times in his chair till his cover green eyes couldn’t see straight.

“What, are we five?” Laura sighed as she leaned up on her elbows from her comfortable spot on Pip’s lime green carpet. Laura Wishnowski took the ponytail holder from her wrist and put her red shoulder length hair into a ponytail. Wiping her bangs from her navy blue eyes, then plopped back onto her back continuing to concentrate on the small black speck on Pip’s ceiling.

“It was only a joke.” Pip said

“Wasn’t very funny.” She mumbled quickly

“What is your problem?!” Pip spazzed

“Will you both shut-up! I don’t feel like listening to you both argue!” Max quickly interrupted as he continued throwing a bouncy ball up at the ceiling and catching it again. He blew of tuff of his shaggy dark brown hair out of his equally dark eyes, but missed the ball and watched it disappear somewhere on the floor.
VERSION 2
Quote:
“Order, order in the club house,” Pip said jokingly as he stopped spinning in his desk chair. Pipkin McClennen was a short pale, almost sickly thin thirteen year old, with spiked short dark red hair, clover green eyes, tons of freckles and braces, Pip wasn’t a normal kid though he was a genius, and already a senior in high school.

“What, are we five still?” Laura sighed as she leaned up on her elbows to look at him from her comfy spot of Pip’s lime green carpet. Laura Wishnowski was also thirteen. Many wrongly thought Laura and Pip were siblings for she too was a ginger. She had lighter shoulder length red hair with bangs, dark blue eyes and plenty of freckles.

“It was only a joke.” Pip said

“Wasn’t very funny.” She mumbled quickly

“What is your problem?!” Pip spazzed

“Will you both shut-up! I don’t feel like listening to you both argue!” Max quickly interrupted as he continued throwing a bouncy ball up at the ceiling and catching it again, while laying on Pip’s bed.

Maxwell Walsh also thirteen was not a ginger, in fact the opposite with dark brown shaggy hair and eyes to match. Max was taller and slightly less lanky than Pip, but did share some freckles that only rested on his nose and cheeks.
I had to do an assignment in my class today and kind of ended up re-writing my opening. Thanks for any opinions.
WiP Editing first book FREAKs

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller
Rewrite -1/2 done On Hold

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Legend of a Freak (Blog!)
Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #23827
Thalia
better off with a really good lie

Thalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthood
BG, that's KLAUS. He's superfantasticallyevillybeautifullyhilariously cool.

-E. Lockhart, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #23828
Thalia

Thalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthood
OKAY I'M SITTING AT SCHOOL TRYING TO PROCRASTINATE AND THERE IS NO ONE TO PROCRASTINATE WITH.

Whatch'all doin'?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #23829
Elysium
believe

Location: In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvania other times
Elysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey Tally!

Well I had a half day of school because of finals, so I'm just sitting here enjoying NOT being in school.

UNFAIR
A Dark Retelling of Snow White
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #23830
Horserider
Ever onward

Horserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't have any Friday classes so I'm hanging out until lunch and then I have a ton of stuff that I need to do.

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:
Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #23831
Elysium
believe

Elysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm so glad I don't have school Monday and Tuesday and that this semester is over. One more to go and then I'm out of high school forever.

UNFAIR
Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #23832
Horserider
Ever onward

Horserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I'm so glad I don't have school Monday and Tuesday and that this semester is over. One more to go and then I'm out of high school forever.
Try to enjoy your last semester.

Even though college is so much better.

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:

Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #23833
Elysium
believe

I'm trying.

I hate my new school though and I don't even know the people I'm graduating with, which sucks. *sighs* If only my old school could've stayed open...

I can't wait to go to college though. I'm touring one of the colleges I got accepted into next month, to see if I want to go there or not. I stalk the website daily and the campus is GORGEOUS.

UNFAIR
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #23834
Bookgirl2021
A place where dreams are born

Location: In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
Bookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I kind of-sort of have a date tonight.

Mirror Effect: 2K/65K On hold

OLS: Editing

My Website/Personal Blog
Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #23835
Elysium
believe

That's wonderful BG!

Have fun!

UNFAIR
Old 01-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #23836
Bookgirl2021

Location: In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
Bookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, it's kind of a weird date. There's this dance tonight, and a friend and I are going to it, but he's on the ballroom team, and they're also doing something at it, and so I don't know exactly how it's going to work.....

My Website/Personal Blog
Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #23837
Elysium
believe

Ooh a ballroom team? I didn't know those existed.

UNFAIR
Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #23838
Bookgirl2021

Most of the colleges/universities around here (like within 5-6 hours) have them, I know. All of them may, but I'm not sure. This is one of the routines they had my freshman year (it's one of my favorites (at least that I can find online )).

My Website/Personal Blog
Old 01-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #23839
Elysium
believe

Wow. I love ballroom dancing. I think it's beautiful how people can make dance steps look so graceful. I'm the complete opposite of graceful, which is why I don't think I'll ever be able to do any kind of ballroom dancing haha.

UNFAIR
Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #23840
Horserider
Ever onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I'm trying.

I hate my new school though and I don't even know the people I'm graduating with, which sucks. *sighs* If only my old school could've stayed open...

I can't wait to go to college though. I'm touring one of the colleges I got accepted into next month, to see if I want to go there or not. I stalk the website daily and the campus is GORGEOUS.
So exciting! One of the most important things for me when I chose my college was the fact that when I visited, I felt like I already lived here. Whereas with a couple other colleges I visited, I felt like an outsider.

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:

Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #23841
Thalia

Whew, just finished a killer Economics exam.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #23842
Springs
practical experience, FTW

Location: Pennsylvania and Virginia (depends on the time of year)
Springs is on a distinguished road
I think one of the major deciding factors with what college I was going to go to was the campus. Instead of being packed into a city like a lot of the colleges that I applied to, the one I chose had a sprawling campus that is absolutely beautiful. I'm also a sucker for some of the old-fashioned looking buildings on the older side of campus.

Oh, and as far as the introductions go, amlptj, I like the first one a lot better. The second one reads a little more awkwardly.

Currently reading:
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Old 01-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #23843
Missus Akasha
I'm a monster. I'm a saint.

Missus Akasha has a spectacular auraMissus Akasha has a spectacular aura
I wanted to go to this university in my town that was absolutely gorgeous. It had a very calm, nature-y atmosphere to it. It was a small private college, but I couldn't afford 45,000 dollars a year, which really made me sad because their elementary education degree program was top-notch!

WIPs:
We Must Be Killers: Batman and Kick Ass meets Dexter meets Count of Monte Cristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Gide
The most beautiful things are those that madness prompts and reason writes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Dennis
I always start writing with a clean piece of paper and a dirty mind.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #23844
Elysium
believe

I got accepted into both a private university and a public one. Though the private one is considerably cheap as far as private colleges go. It's $26,000 a year, room & board is free, laundry is free, plus I really want to go there.

UNFAIR
Old 01-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #23845
KarlaErikaCal
YA romance writer in love with love

KarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ally, I agree with Springs. First one is better. The second is awkward because your "author" voice is popping in. Telling the reader about the character instead of showing who they are, like the first one.
GOODREADS

WIPs:
TATTOO LOVE - 14.8K

Old 01-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #23846
Elysium
believe

Hey Karla!

UNFAIR
Old 01-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #23847
KarlaErikaCal
YA romance writer in love with love

KarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hiya, Ely!

How's it going?
GOODREADS

WIPs:
TATTOO LOVE - 14.8K

Old 01-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #23848
Taylor_Writes
#teampeeta

Taylor_Writes has a spectacular auraTaylor_Writes has a spectacular aura
I have a SNI... But I don't know how to start it. Frustrationnnnnn.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #23849
Elysium
believe

Karla - Great! I have a four day weekend, and the first semester of school is over and done with. I'm just counting the days until graduation. How are things with you?

Taylor - Just sit down and write. I didn't know how to start my SNI so I just let my characters do the talking.

UNFAIR
Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #23850
Taylor_Writes
#teampeeta

Taylor_Writes has a spectacular auraTaylor_Writes has a spectacular aura
But I don't think my characters know what to do, either. :P
Closed Thread