Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #23426
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admiration
I KNOW. And seeing as I was thinking of writing and self-pubbing short stories for young adult, I thought "Why not try and do something with that?"

No, I don't know if I could query it or what I would market it as.
Sherlock Holmes' Apprentice - MG Historical Mystery - On hold
Untitled - YA Paranormal Romance - Writing the first draft

Reading:
"Girlfriend in a Coma" - Douglas Coupland

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #23427
amlptj
Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!

amlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Afternoon everyone!
WiP Editing first book FREAKs

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller
Rewrite -1/2 done On Hold

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Legend of a Freak (Blog!)
Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #23428
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admiration
Hi, Ally!

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #23429
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Writing!

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #23430
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

Pondering about

a) An example of a common image that creates a common meaning based on what is in the picture (semiology/semiotics theory)

b) Whether third graders read chapter books, how long chapter books are, and if I could turn my short story into one...

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #23431
amlptj

amlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lisa, for little kids i noticed the trend is like 3 to 4 pages at like 14-16 font each chapter

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Old 01-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #23432
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

What about word count? Do you know?

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 01-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #23433
amlptj

whatever 3-4 pages of 14-16 font is... not sure. But i read a lot of books to a lot of kids for two and a half years. So I'd say that is the trend. If i had to guesstimate probably no more then 1000 words.

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #23434
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

Well, I did a readabillity test, and it looks like, according to that, that the short story is for Grade Three. What age group is that?

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #23435
amlptj

7-9... depending on birthdays.

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #23436
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

Oooh okay. I presume that's chapter book age?

Tempted to use the Holocaust as an example in the semiology part of my essay...

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #23437
Robert L.B.
Tao of Wonka

Robert L.B. is a shiny, shiny jewelRobert L.B. is a shiny, shiny jewel
So what's the general feeling on old farts coming in here to chat? I mean I'm 23 years old, so that's obviously over the hill.

Genesis Machine - 11,190/60000 "Long ago a god sealed away a great evil in an enduring hidden temple to save existence. Only, that's not entirely accurate..."

Golden Wings - On Hold
Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #23438
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

There are a few on here.

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #23439
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madican View Post
So what's the general feeling on old farts coming in here to chat? I mean I'm 23 years old, so that's obviously over the hill.
I'm 23 too, and they put up with me here.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #23440
Robert L.B.
Tao of Wonka

Oh hey Para good to see you still around.

Genesis Machine - 11,190/60000 "Long ago a god sealed away a great evil in an enduring hidden temple to save existence. Only, that's not entirely accurate..."

Golden Wings - On Hold
Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #23441
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

Hi, you two! Do you know anything about the age range for chapter books? And the general word count?

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 01-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #23442
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I know you could find out by googling.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #23443
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Why do I love writing in the WH40K verse?

Here's why!

I'm writing an arranged marriage between a farm girl turned witch-hunter/born again fundamentalist and the third rate third son of a third rate noble family, whose spent his entire life changing out vacuum tubes in a computer he barely understands.

And all of this is machinated by a space pirate whose trying to establish a firmer stranglehold on his flying space battle church!

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #23444
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

Zoom... I worry about you sometimes.

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 01-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #23445
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Pfff, you're just jealous that YOUR story has no chainsaw swords and three armed mutants!

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #23446
Parametric
phoenix blazing

I love Zoom.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #23447
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

I do too. But his imagination is a little crazier than normal...

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #23448
Zoombie
AW Moderator

The sad thing is, I'm working off established fiction...

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #23449
Robert L.B.
Tao of Wonka

Needs more orks.

Golden Wings - On Hold
Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #23450
KarlaErikaCal
YA romance writer in love with love

KarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey guys!

Just caught up a little bit from the last page and this one...

Lisa - Cool about your short story.

Tally - If you go to U of Chicago, we can meet up! haha

Zoom - You do have quite the imagination which I LOVE!

How's everyone doing?
GOODREADS

WIPs:
TATTOO LOVE - 14.8K

Closed Thread