Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #7926
Imbroglio
PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM

Imbroglio is a glorious beacon of lightImbroglio is a glorious beacon of lightImbroglio is a glorious beacon of light
What's a good way to do the sort of "scrying" magick where you can see what other people are doing without other people knowing?

I've no idea what I'm doiiiing. haha.

CURRENTLY READING: Furies of Calderon |Boneshaker
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #7927
Sarahbear9789
practical experience, FTW

Sarahbear9789 is on a distinguished road
A crystal ball, a mirror/reflection, or some sort of stone.

Currently Editing: Verified 62250
Old 08-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #7928
Sarahbear9789
practical experience, FTW

Sarahbear9789 is on a distinguished road
Going to sleep. Night

Currently Editing: Verified 62250
Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #7929
Imbroglio

Imbroglio is a glorious beacon of lightImbroglio is a glorious beacon of lightImbroglio is a glorious beacon of light
Night!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #7930
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Morning team. Glad to be in quiet countryside a million miles from anywhere.

Water is also traditional for scrying - probably because the surface is like a mirror - a still pool, a bowl full of water, etc.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #7931
Imbroglio

Yeah, I was thinking of a basin full of water type deal. I feel like people will think I'm ripping off the Pensieve from HP, even though it's used for a different purpose.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #7932
Imbroglio

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Night!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #7933
Keagerz
He Who Plays With Dolls

Keagerz is a shiny, shiny jewelKeagerz is a shiny, shiny jewel
I just totally did not pull an all nighter. o_o; Man, I feel so bad since I'm supposed to go to my friend's house to sleep over tonight. Sighhh. Stupid sleep schedule being all messed up. :<

And I want a new genre of books to try out. o.O
Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #7934
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The bowl of water for scrying is way older than Harry Potter, and the Pensieve isn't a scrying device.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #7935
Keagerz
He Who Plays With Dolls

...My bed broke again. o_O; NOW HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SLEEP.

*ragehat on* D:<

Hm. I really want to read a sci-fi book about nitty gritty human experimentation...Only I can't find anything because I suck at finding books haha. :X

And scrying, isn't that a metaphysical way to sort of predict the future? It sounds so familiar to me, but I can't remember what it exactly is. All I know is the Pensieve thing in Harry Potter was to store the past or something...:B That's one thing I do remember from when I was a Potter fan. I remember wishing I had that in my house to store some of my heavy duty memories, haha.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #7936
Allaboutwords13
You Snooze, You Lose!

Allaboutwords13 is well-respected
Hey everyone. Morning/afternoon/whatever.
I actually slept! Would you believe it? :P
Anyone else horrified by the rioting in London? I can't believe it's also spread to Birmingham and Liverpool. Wait.. yes i can. Those cities aren't exactly house on the prairie! I just hope it doesnt start where i live. Thankfully there isnt much in my town to take, so yeah... eeep! It's disgusting watching the news. So many poor places on fire

"You know how it is in the kid's book world; it's just bunny eat bunny."
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #7937
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
They had a lot about scrying in some book I read. Not HP... Think it was bartholomew (don't know how to spell it. On iPod) and .... It was about wizards in London... And demons. YA book... Not as good as HP but good... Urrgh I can't remember the title
Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #7938
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Oh it was the bartimaeus trilogy. There's alot of scrying in that
Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #7939
amlptj
Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!

amlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Morning everyone.

Saw the london riots on the news. Sorry for all you people over in England!
WiP Editing first book FREAKs

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller
Rewrite -1/2 done On Hold

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Legend of a Freak (Blog!)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #7940
Keagerz
He Who Plays With Dolls

Oh god, I'm so mortified by those riots. It's really sad...and worrisome. :/ I mean, I'm safe here in the US, but I'm still really worried about everyone in London. I hope they stop soon.

And lucky you for sleeping. XD I did not because my bed broke. I mean, my dad just fixed it now, but at 9:30 AM, I don't think it's worth going to bed only to sleep all day. >_<
Old 08-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #7941
amlptj

amlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Your bed broke? Oh wow that sucks.

Oh and if it makes you londoners feel better we've been having flash mobs and riots in my city too. Mostly teens going crazy and flipping cars... Mayor Nutter went NUTS and then set a cerfuw that everyone 17 and under cant be in center city past 10pm

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Last edited by amlptj; 08-09-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #7942
Keagerz
He Who Plays With Dolls

Tell me about it. I went in bed to go to sleep, and then it broke.

You'd think I'd be used to my bed breaking by now. XD But it still freaks me out every time. My bed frame is old and made of wood, so it's not very reliable. I swear, my bed is the most ghetto thing ever. o_O

ETA: Whoa really Ally? That's crazy. And you're really close to me too. o.o; I'm about two hours away from Philly.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #7943
amlptj

well if it makes you feel better i still sleep in a bunk bed... well technically its a loft bed because i got rid of the bottom bunk, but I've also sort of outgrown it but cant get rid of it so i'm stuck with it forevers

I also have this problem i've had since i was little where in my sleep I bang my leg... (weird i know) So you wouldnt belive how many times i've woken up screaming because I banged my foot on the bottom wooden edge of my bunk and cut up my toes or foot!

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #7944
Allaboutwords13
You Snooze, You Lose!

What's Scrying? Other than S and Crying lolz

And these riots are crazy. It's all youths just being... stupid.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #7945
amlptj

You havent heard about the flash mobs in Philly yet? There all over the news here, twice in the last few weeks a bunch of teens started an all out riot/mob, flipping cars and breaking store front windows and stuff in center city, plus, our crime rates have almost doubled in the last two months and alot of the shootings and violence are done by kids to kids... so the Mayor is flipping alot of shit.

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #7946
Keagerz
He Who Plays With Dolls

My bed actually used to be a bunk bed before my dad separated it into two beds. xD I had top bunk, my older sister had bottom. Then we moved into a new house and we separated them for easier moving.

I love bunk beds though. D: They're so much fun! I loved sleeping against the guard rail things. Now I just sleep against the wall. I must be up against something in order to fall asleep. o.O;

Also, I never watch the news. But yikes, if that's going on in Philly, I dread to find out what will go on in the cities near my area, like ghetto-ass Newark. :P No offense to Newark folks, but that city just scares me. O_O;

And Words, you're probably better off googling it since I'm not quite sure what it is.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #7947
amlptj

hehehehe I love my bunk bed too... always wanted one ever since i was like 4 and when i was 12 my mom got me one! I'm the same way with leaning against something to fall asleep... I also need to hug something.... At home I have a huge scooby doo stuffed animal i have to hug to fall asleep, up at college i hug a pillow... or my boyfriend if he sleeps over.

Oh and Newark and Camdan are two places that scare the shit out of me too... along with anywhere above Gerard Ave in Philadelphia... which is three blocks from my house... you couldnt pay me enough money to walk around there.

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Old 08-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #7948
Allaboutwords13
You Snooze, You Lose!

I once had a bunk bed. Then fell off the top bunk - and because i had suitcases piled up so i could get to it, since we didnt have a ladder, - i broke my arm/wrist and since then have refused to be on a top bunk! Plus, i'm now afraid of heights. lol

Old 08-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #7949
Horserider
Ever onward

Horserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Scrying involves looking into the future or the present. Usually the person scrying has to look into water or a mirror. Eragon uses it and I think Tamora Pierce does too, but I'm not sure if she calls it scrying.

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:
Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #7950
amlptj

awwww sorry

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Closed Thread