Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #7851
lilly1326001
Mmm... On a coffee high

lilly1326001 is on a distinguished road
I fully agree with the above, but when exactly do you oh-so-casually mention your age to an agent? Right when they offer representation doesn't sound so good.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #7852
lilly1326001
Mmm... On a coffee high

lilly1326001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryRiter View Post
What type of books do you write, Lilly?
I mostly write YA novels that have a literary edge (mostly social issues or philosophical), so as you can most probably tell the market isn't so big for books like that.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #7853
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Oh, I didn't realize that I shouldn't mention that I am a teen author. You haven't had any luck with querying?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:23 AM   #7854
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The agent doesn't need to know that you're under-18 until they offer representation. Even then they only need to know because your parents will need to sign the contract to make it legally binding. Otherwise you're better off not mentioning your age. Agents and publishers don't care - if you can write to a publishable standard, they'll take you; if not, they won't.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #7855
Kyrie
Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)

Kyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputation
What Para said. I remember Kody telling me that her agent had no idea she was 17 until she said that her mom would need to cosign the contract.

A Terror of Darkness: v. 4.0 - 67k - waiting for beta comments

And then I met a man called the Doctor. A man who could change his face. And he took me away from home in his magical machine. He showed me the whole of time and space. I thought it would never end.

BLOGGER! YOUTUBE!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #7856
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Another question: is it a good or bad sign if an agent who promises to reply takes a long time to reply. I know it seems like a bad sign, but if an agent really hated your book, wouldn't they just reject you right away instead of procrastinating? If they take a long time doesn't that mean they're seriously considering your query? Just want an opinion.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #7857
Horserider
Ever onward

Horserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly1326001 View Post
I fully agree with the above, but when exactly do you oh-so-casually mention your age to an agent? Right when they offer representation doesn't sound so good.
Kody didn't mention her age until she got The Call. I don't have to worry about it anymore (I just turned 18), but if I'd gotten an offer while I was a teen, I probably would have done the same as her. Just say that you're under 18 but your parents are willing to cosign any contracts. If the agent loves your book, that's really the only issue with being a teen writer.

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize that I shouldn't mention that I am a teen author. You haven't had any luck with querying?
Me? No, the two novels I queried had horrible plot issues. The second one got a couple requests, but neither one had a central plot. I'm probably going to start querying for the third time sometime the end of this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
The agent doesn't need to know that you're under-18 until they offer representation. Even then they only need to know because your parents will need to sign the contract as well as you. Otherwise you're better off not mentioning it. Agents and publishers don't care. If you can write to a publishable standard and behave like a professional, you're in regardless of your age. If not, they're not interested.
Listen to Para. She gives great advice.

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:
Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Old 08-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #7858
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Another question: is it a good or bad sign if an agent who promises to reply takes a long time to reply. I know it seems like a bad sign, but if an agent really hated your book, wouldn't they just reject you right away instead of procrastinating? If they take a long time doesn't that mean they're seriously considering your query? Just want an opinion.
No. They could just be busy. They may not even have opened their query inbox for the last six weeks.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #7859
Horserider
Ever onward

Horserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
It's neither a bad sign or a good sign. If an agent's taking a long time to respond, it means they're busy and they just haven't gotten to your query yet.

ETA: Para! You're getting faster than me again.

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:

Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #7860
Parametric
phoenix blazing

PS: I am cranky because MY CITY IS ON FIRE.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #7861
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horserider View Post
It's neither a bad sign or a good sign. If an agent's taking a long time to respond, it means they're busy and they just haven't gotten to your query yet.

ETA: Para! You're getting faster than me again.
You and me and Kyrie are all cross-posting! We're like a triumvirate of ninja awesomeness.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #7862
Horserider
Ever onward

Oh my gosh, Para. *hugs* I was wondering how the London twifties were doing. Are you okay? Why are they rioting?

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:

Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #7863
Zoealea
Mmmm, caffeine.

Zoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolness
HR, someone on twitter told me that the police killed someone and it started out as a protest but it got bigger?

*hopes that other london twifties are alright*

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
1.6k/50k

Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #7864
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horserider View Post
Oh my gosh, Para. *hugs* I was wondering how the London twifties were doing. Are you okay? Why are they rioting?
It started out as a protest against a man shot dead by armed police, but it's become something incredibly sinister. There are organised gangs moving from place to place smashing up the high streets and looting all the shops. They're setting fire to cars and breaking into people's houses. The police are just overwhelmed. It's absolutely incredible.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #7865
Keagerz
He Who Plays With Dolls

Keagerz is a shiny, shiny jewelKeagerz is a shiny, shiny jewel
That is absolutely horrible...>_<; I hope everyone is okay. I"m really worried about the London twifties.

*hugs for everyone*
Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #7866
Zoealea
Mmmm, caffeine.

Zoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolness

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
1.6k/50k

Old 08-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #7867
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Thanks, team. Slightly stressed. Hope my ninja partner Amna is okay.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #7868
Zoealea
Mmmm, caffeine.

Lisa hasn't posted on here in awhile, I hope she's ok.

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
1.6k/50k

Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #7869
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

Gone for an hour and I missed so much... That sounds terrible
Old 08-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #7870
Parametric
phoenix blazing

This is the third night of rioting, and it's getting worse.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #7871
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

I'm sorry... Hope it all works out.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #7872
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

Got my teeth pulled today. It took 3 seconds and was surprisingly painless
Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #7873
Kyrie
Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)

Kyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
You and me and Kyrie are all cross-posting! We're like a triumvirate of ninja awesomeness.
*bows*

Quote:
PS: I am cranky because MY CITY IS ON FIRE.
What I've heard and read about it is just so horrible and terrifying. *hugs* I really hope everybody is okay and stays safe, and that this all calms down very soon.

A Terror of Darkness: v. 4.0 - 67k - waiting for beta comments

And then I met a man called the Doctor. A man who could change his face. And he took me away from home in his magical machine. He showed me the whole of time and space. I thought it would never end.

BLOGGER! YOUTUBE!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #7874
OTWOV
is Learning to Fly: solo

OTWOV is on a distinguished road
hey everyone, was wondering if anyone wanted to word war on here? start at 00:00 to go 00:30?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #7875
Imbroglio
PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM

Imbroglio is a glorious beacon of lightImbroglio is a glorious beacon of lightImbroglio is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
It started out as a protest against a man shot dead by armed police, but it's become something incredibly sinister. There are organised gangs moving from place to place smashing up the high streets and looting all the shops. They're setting fire to cars and breaking into people's houses. The police are just overwhelmed. It's absolutely incredible.
Good heavens, that is incredible. I'd be having a panic attack, I'm such a scaredy cat.

CURRENTLY READING: Furies of Calderon|Boneshaker
Closed Thread