Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #7476
Zoealea
Mmmm, caffeine.

Zoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolness
Tally, it totally would.
Karla, can you find a medium between what you want to do and what he wants you to do?

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
1.6k/50k

Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #7477
Kyrie
Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)

Kyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputation
Can you talk to him face-to-face, Karla? Explain your point of view and ask him what exactly he wants you to do? Sometimes professors make suggestions and they don't necessarily demand that you follow them to the letter in order to make the grade. If you feel like you can calm down enough (and believe me, I understand why you're upset ), I'd talk to him about it as soon as you can.

A Terror of Darkness: v. 4.0 - 67k - waiting for beta comments

And then I met a man called the Doctor. A man who could change his face. And he took me away from home in his magical machine. He showed me the whole of time and space. I thought it would never end.

BLOGGER! YOUTUBE!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #7478
Thalia
better off with a really good lie

Thalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthood
Karla, aren't you in all these courses because you want to improve as a writer? I mean, you're in these courses for you, right? Because you love writing? You shouldn't... what's the word? Oh yeah. You shouldn't compromise your passion at someone else's whim.

-E. Lockhart, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #7479
KarlaErikaCal
YA romance writer in love with love

KarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Zoe - I don't think there's a middle between bad coincidences and good coincidences, which was the issue...

Ky - Yeah, with my experiences in the past, there was no way of getting any creative license.

Tally - Oh Tally...you haven't been in college yet. Academia seems to think that literary fiction is the only way to go. Did you see my issue a couple months ago with the prof. who said some icky things about what YA, romance, and paranormal fiction can be? Yeah, that's pretty much a whole lot of prof.'s beliefs.

ETA: I meant to add that I will try and talk to him about it. And see if I can find some more good film examples where good coincidences aren't bad, to help prove my point.

ETA 2: Just realized now that I sounded super blunt in thsi post. Sorry guys...Just really upset/angry and all that comes out is harshness. GAH. I'm gonna write a journal entry in Caden's POV from CMRH about him taking out his anger at his dad belittling him by bullying others.
GOODREADS

WIPs:
TATTOO LOVE - 14.8K

Last edited by KarlaErikaCal; 08-05-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #7480
Thalia

Thalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthood
Well, if the professor's got a job as a professor, clearly he's not managing to make it on his own as an author.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #7481
Kyrie

Kyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputationKyrie has a double-platinum reputation
That's not necessarily true, Tally.

Did this happen with the same professor, Karla?

I understand completely why you're upset - it's really rather awful that writing professors think that literary fiction is the only way to go, when 80% of the time literary fiction is not going to get you a job, and isn't that the point of college?

I still think you should talk to him if you can. If you're still really upset about it next class, then write your script for you and make it awesome and hand it in, but if you think you can calmly discuss it with him I would, especially if it's not the same professor as it was the last time this happened to you.

And then I met a man called the Doctor. A man who could change his face. And he took me away from home in his magical machine. He showed me the whole of time and space. I thought it would never end.

BLOGGER! YOUTUBE!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #7482
KarlaErikaCal

KarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKarlaErikaCal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The script is due in 2 weeks, so I still have time to talk to him.

And no, it's not the same professor, Ky. It's a screenwriting professor. But what upsets me the most I guess is the fact that he originally really liked the idea and suddenly he was swayed by his writer friend's generalization.
GOODREADS

WIPs:
TATTOO LOVE - 14.8K

Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #7483
Kyrie

Maybe he just got an idea from his friend and thought he could use it.

And maybe he is a jerk who just randomly changed his mind on you.

Either way, lots of hugs. And talk to him if you can.

BLOGGER! YOUTUBE!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #7484
Thalia

Hey! I reserve the right to insult Karla's jerkass teachers even though I've never met them!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #7485
KarlaErikaCal

Yeah, he is a really great/funny/laid back kind of guy. So I was caught so off guard.

And I posted in the screenwriting forum place and someone made a GREAT point I could use (I also got three great examples of films too - and will probably get more). The person said, "I think the exception to the "good coincidences are bad" rule is the inciting incident. It isn't really an exception, of course, because that "good" thing still sets a story in motion, and a story comes from complications."

That is SO TRUE. And I'm sure that'll really really help my professor see that he was wrong to change his mind
GOODREADS

WIPs:
TATTOO LOVE - 14.8K

Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #7486
Zoealea
Mmmm, caffeine.

Zoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolness
Is anybody doing the Camp NaNo thing this month? *is using it to try and finish LL*

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
1.6k/50k

Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #7487
Thalia

Yes, I am.

Bed!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #7488
OTWOV
is Learning to Fly: solo

OTWOV is on a distinguished road
hello everyone
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #7489
Zoealea
Mmmm, caffeine.

Tally! What's your username thingy?

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
1.6k/50k

Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #7490
Bookgirl2021
A place where dreams are born

Location: In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
Bookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I may be, Zoe. At least I'm registered there.

And I guess I've lucked out with my English professors. One of them has a DW shirt (and many others), and, although in his beginning CW class didn't want genre fiction, he's not opposed to it in any way. Another one did his dissertation on Zombies.

Mirror Effect: 2K/65K On hold

OLS: Editing

My Website/Personal Blog
Old 08-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #7491
KarlaErikaCal

I guess it's because DePaul is a private school and they hire snotty professors that are sticklers for their beliefs. I'm thinking their reasoning might be that it's important for professors to have strong beliefs so they can give their students a new perspective besides students' own beliefs, which ultimately don't matter to those biased professors (woops, run-on).

But that really makes sense to me actually LOL

ETA: But I'm probably completely wrong...
GOODREADS

WIPs:
TATTOO LOVE - 14.8K

Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #7492
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Me:Man, I forgot how much I despised Umbrage...
Friend: Mew? How could you forget that?!
Me: No, I remember hating her, but I forgot the WHITE HOT FOUNTAINS OF RAGE that FLOWED OUT OF MY BRAIN AND DIRECTLY AT EVERY LINE OF DIALOG SHE UTTERS
That is all

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #7493
Zoealea
Mmmm, caffeine.

hahaha

I've come to the realization that half of my WIP can be put to the soundtrack of various Selena Gomez songs. *headdesk*

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
1.6k/50k

Old 08-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #7494
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Most of my book is set to the tune of anime theme songs.

That's all well and good EXCEPT IT TAKES PLACE IN CHINA.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #7495
Thalia

It's tallywoods.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #7496
Horserider
Ever onward

Horserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Morning, guys.

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:
Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Old 08-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #7497
Thalia

Hi HR!

Today, I will write an entire chapter, so 5k.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #7498
Zoealea
Mmmm, caffeine.

I have to walk my dog to the groomers today, and I have a migraine and am nauseous. Yay, me.

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
1.6k/50k

Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #7499
Kyrie

Morning.

BLOGGER! YOUTUBE!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #7500
Thalia

Aww, Zoe *hugs*

Closed Thread