Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > AW History; Questions and Discussion > AW History and Community Event Archives > AW April Fools
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Fenika
practical experience, FTW

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
SFF April Book Study: The Complete Works of Homer

Hello folks,

Since we had some disagreement over what to study this month, the Mods and I decided it would be good to go old school. Please read The Illiad and The Odyssey by the 8th and be ready to discuss them the rest of the month.

***Spoilers*** will be streaking naked through this thread unpredictably. You have been warned.

Here are the previous book studies:

2008:
Ender Kicks Ass (August)
Sexual Repression of Locke Lamora (September)
A Deepness in the Spider Hole (October)
A Fire in the Spider Hole (November)
Stormy Time (December)

2009:
I Am Legendary (January)
The Alternate World is in Canada (February)
Bad Ass Mortals Turned Rogue Gods (March)
Small Gods Turned Me Into a Newt (April)
Beggars is Everywhere (May)
The King Again (June)
Foundation Crumbles (July)
The Graveyard Is Rockin, So Come a-Knockin (August)
Dead Things (September)
The Last Wisher II: Bad Ass Swords (October)
The Knife of OCD (November)
One Hundred Years of Revolution (December)

2010:
Battle of the Royals (January)
Aliens Rule, Humans Without Familiars Drool (February)
Bad Timez (March)
Say My Name (April)
Jurassic Park XI: Dogs and Cats Living Together! (May)
Alien Moths Scary Enough to Make Giant Spiders Hide (June/July)
Dysfunctional Families and Zombies (August)
Sexually Repressed Dragons, Now With Gunmen! (September)
I Have Abandonment Issues (October)
The Baby Snatcher (November)
This Planet is Crazy (December)

2011:
A Girl, A Dog, A Boy, A Cat (January)
Self Satisfaction will make you Blindsight (February)
Watership Down (March)

Thank you to Broken Fingers for starting the book study!

Thank you to Pthom for agreeing to donate copies of his new bestseller to all book study participants for the Augustus book study! We look forward to it!

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
Fenny, I have a question. I only recently read "Alien Moths Scary Enough to Make Giant Spiders Hide" and I really want to discuss the whole 'rocks fall, everyone dies' ending (spoiler warning). Should I post in that thread or start a new one?

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Euan H.
Unspeakable

Euan H. is a glorious beacon of lightEuan H. is a glorious beacon of light
I've read the complete works of Homer Simpson. Will that do?

Avatar awesomeness courtesy of Dave "Awesome" Leri.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
A.V. Hollingshead
Vive la révolution littéraire!

A.V. Hollingshead is well-respected
Spoilers for a 2,000-some odd year old novel? O.o

I love me some Homer (presuming he existed, of course), although I don't think he's my favorite of the Greek writers. Can't go wrong with these, too, though, as they are the basis of so much of Western literature. And the James Joyce fan in me could never dismiss the Odyssey. He's a great hero, Odysseus, probably the best of Greek lore, and any poem, play, or novel that outlasts the civilization it comes from certain deserves the acknowledgment, I say.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai View Post
Fenny, I have a question. I only recently read "Alien Moths Scary Enough to Make Giant Spiders Hide" and I really want to discuss the whole 'rocks fall, everyone dies' ending (spoiler warning). Should I post in that thread or start a new one?
That's a tough call. You will have to do what your heart tells you is right. If your thoughts are serious, I suggest you bump the thread tomorrow. If your thoughts are more about Giant Spiders being frightened to insanity, by all means, start a new thread today while the day is young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euan H. View Post
I've read the complete works of Homer Simpson. Will that do?
And what did you think of those 'works'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophiucha View Post
Spoilers for a 2,000-some odd year old novel? O.o

I love me some Homer (presuming he existed, of course), although I don't think he's my favorite of the Greek writers. Can't go wrong with these, too, though, as they are the basis of so much of Western literature. And the James Joyce fan in me could never dismiss the Odyssey. He's a great hero, Odysseus, probably the best of Greek lore, and any poem, play, or novel that outlasts the civilization it comes from certain deserves the acknowledgment, I say.
You have a rep

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Sarpedon
Banned

Sarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputation
HAHA! Its my month at last!

As a minor character in the Iliad who gets killed by another minor character to provoke a major character to kill that second minor character in order to motivate another major character to get off his ass and do something, I am well positioned to discuss the complex psycho-sexual issues of Homer's works.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Fenika

But were there star crossed lovers? That's what I wanna know.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Sarpedon
Banned

Sarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputation
No, there was one woman who was kidnapped and passed around as a sex toy, and another who was enchanted to love a man as a reward for services rendered.

Achilles and Patrocles might have been star crossed, and we know that Achilles was a cross-dresser.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #9
Fenika

Interrrrrrrresting.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*eyes Fenika with narrowed, untrustworthy eyes*

*squints*

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Fenika

*looks innocent*

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
Sarpedon
Banned

Wait a minute: was this an april fool's post, or is it the real book study?

If it was an april fool's post, what's the real book study?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
Fenika

This was the April Fools I even changes the list of Book Studies Past to make them Foolish.

I will have the new book study up soon- the poll has come and gone and we picked three shorts iirc. I'm trying to give Lavinia a little more time in the spotlight.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!