Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #2451
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Do any of you actually know what the pay rates for Washington Pastime are? It's not made clear anywhere on their site or Duotrope, and because of this I've only been submitting reprints to them.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #2452
mhaynes
practical experience, FTW

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Rs today from Daily Science Fiction & Journal of Compressed Creative Arts (ultra-fast on that one as someone else mentioned recently).

Good news is that I've hit a new high in number of pieces out for submission.

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #2453
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
Do any of you actually know what the pay rates for Washington Pastime are? It's not made clear anywhere on their site or Duotrope, and because of this I've only been submitting reprints to them.
On their site, it says:

Pay Rate: Pay ranges from Token payment to Professional payment (5 US cents per word) for fiction. Payment will be made through The Washington Pastime PAYPAL account, with no exceptions.

I'm assuming it depends on what you send. If it's unpublished, then you probably get the pro-rate. If a reprint, token payment. But yeah, they should make it clearer.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #2454
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
On their site, it says:

Pay Rate: Pay ranges from Token payment to Professional payment (5 US cents per word) for fiction. Payment will be made through The Washington Pastime PAYPAL account, with no exceptions.

I'm assuming it depends on what you send. If it's unpublished, then you probably get the pro-rate. If a reprint, token payment. But yeah, they should make it clearer.
That basically means they can offer what they want.

ETA: Gah! Hit post too quick.

It could be that they reserve pro payment for writers they solicit fiction from. Or it might mean they pay on what they feel the merit of the piece is. Or it could mean something else entirely.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:37 AM   #2455
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
That basically means they can offer what they want.

ETA: Gah! Hit post too quick.

It could be that they reserve pro payment for writers they solicit fiction from. Or it might mean they pay on what they feel the merit of the piece is. Or it could mean something else entirely.
Really? That kinda...sucks. : /

I wonder if anyone around here has been published by them would be able to shed some light on this.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #2456
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Really? That kinda...sucks. : /
I'm not saying that's what they do (though it kinda sounded that way, didn't it?). They might have a typical price per word they pay. But the lack of clarity means it gets confusing.

I know they're not a lit mag, but a lot of lit mags don't state upfront what they pay.

Quote:
I wonder if anyone around here has been published by them would be able to shed some light on this.
We'd need a case study of at least five, the not-very-good statistician in me thinks.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #2457
defcon6000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
I'm not saying that's what they do (though it kinda sounded that way, didn't it?). They might have a typical price per word they pay. But the lack of clarity means it gets confusing.
I understood what you meant. But if it's true (and it may very well be false) that they pay what they want, well... that would suck.

Quote:
We'd need a case study of at least five, the not-very-good statistician in me thinks.
A dozen or so would be best.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #2458
katsincommand
Writer, Not Quitter

katsincommand is on a distinguished road
I'm dizzy... I've had 9 rejections in the past 16 days, one of which included a note that they'd like to see if again if I rewrite it. Nice feedback, but I really need my other subs to stay out for a little while so I can use my writing time to um.. you know, write?

writing is now, not later | writing is writing one word after another after another | typing "the end" means you get to write another story
katsincommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #2459
Pemako

Pemako is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsincommand View Post
I'm dizzy... I've had 9 rejections in the past 16 days, one of which included a note that they'd like to see if again if I rewrite it. Nice feedback, but I really need my other subs to stay out for a little while so I can use my writing time to um.. you know, write?
Sorry about the Rs! Yeah, I was thinking about this last night.. Got an R, reread the story, then of course needed to do some tweaking, then needed to reformat everything again, and write a new cover letter - so, whew, took an hour or two to send it out again. Would like to have crickets for a while, but I'm sure I'm going to get at least one R tomorrow. Oh well.

Good luck with the rewrite (if you do it)!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #2460
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I understood what you meant. But if it's true (and it may very well be false) that they pay what they want, well... that would suck.
This is precisely why I'm holding off on subbing unpublished stories to those guys. I don't want to get an acceptance and $5.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #2461
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

I got my first official rejection of 2012! (As in, for a story submitted in 2012). Goldfish Grimm rejected "Those Who Can't Do" in 24 hours. I figured they might have enjoyed a story that had a bit about a goldfish in it, but they didn't enjoy it enough to buy.

Rummaging through my stories for something else to ship their way. I love 24-hour response times!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #2462
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration

((((((Alex))))))

Quick turnaround, though.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #2463
katsincommand
Writer, Not Quitter

katsincommand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I got my first official rejection of 2012! (As in, for a story submitted in 2012). Goldfish Grimm rejected "Those Who Can't Do" in 24 hours. I figured they might have enjoyed a story that had a bit about a goldfish in it, but they didn't enjoy it enough to buy.

Rummaging through my stories for something else to ship their way. I love 24-hour response times!
Goldfish. heh. love it.

writing is now, not later | writing is writing one word after another after another | typing "the end" means you get to write another story
katsincommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #2464
mhaynes

The downside of having a lot of stories out there floating around...

6 Rs in the last 48 hours. Oof.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #2465
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

Gah, sorry Michael. Shake it off!

Any word from Stupefying?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #2466
Project Deadlight

Project Deadlight is well-respected
I know that feeling Michael. Chin up everyone... Just remember, every rejection makes the next acceptance that bit sweeter. Or something...
Project Deadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #2467
mhaynes

Thanks, Alex and Deadlight. I knew that when the dam burst it wasn't going to be pretty. Going to spend some time this morning getting stories back out to markets.

Alex, no word yet from Stupefying.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #2468
bdwilson
Dedicated Lurker

bdwilson is well-respected
My first R for 2012 came in from Cezanne’s Carrot yesterday.

But I had my last outstanding piece for 2011 accepted at Liquid Imagination the day before, so my week has balanced out
Old 01-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #2469
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwilson View Post
My first R for 2012 came in from Cezanne’s Carrot yesterday.

But I had my last outstanding piece for 2011 accepted at Liquid Imagination the day before, so my week has balanced out
Congratulations on the sale! But take it to the Braggage thread, you're diluting our misery Seriously though, well done.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #2470
bdwilson
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:
But take it to the Braggage thread, you're diluting our misery
*LOL* Yeah, wasn't sure if dilution was acceptable. I'll keep it in mind for the future
Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #2471
mhaynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaynes View Post
Going to spend some time this morning getting stories back out to markets.
So, I did this. I got everything I have in submission-ready shape back out the door. Even printed out the hardcopy submission for this month's AHMM contest.

And I got to spend, oh, maybe half an hour in this blissful state of having everything on sub...

Before another R came in the door!

Sometimes you've just got to...

Old 01-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #2472
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
(((((Michael)))))

That's harsh!

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #2473
bdwilson
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaynes View Post
So, I did this. I got everything I have in submission-ready shape back out the door. Even printed out the hardcopy submission for this month's AHMM contest.

And I got to spend, oh, maybe half an hour in this blissful state of having everything on sub...

Before another R came in the door!

Sometimes you've just got to...
Ouch on the timing
Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #2474
mhaynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie View Post
That's harsh!
Indeed.

Fortunately, I knew right where I was going to send that particular piece next so it was in and out the door lickety-split.

Still... The timing.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #2475
GCU_Dramatic Exit

GCU_Dramatic Exit is on a distinguished road
it's like the editors are conspiring against us, just waiting for the perfect time to send out rejections
GCU_Dramatic Exit is offline   Reply With Quote