Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #1601
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
JC is taking a three day vacation from AW, during which time i hope he'll consider what it means to respect your fellow writer, even if you don't agree with them.

With that in mind, now's as good a time as any to remind y'all that if someone's post offends or upsets you, the best things to do are: 1) Politely PM the person in question, and explain how you feel. Politely. 2) Report said post. 3) PM one of the room mods.

I'd also suggest rereading the post in question at least twice, and allowing a few minutes cooling time before doing anything, as in the heat of the moment it can be very easy to misconstrue intent (such as: misconstruing a person feeling comfortable enough within a group to talk about their foibles and quirks as that individual being pretentious or intentionally offensive).

And also, seeing as i haven't been all that active in this thread for a while: big *hugs* for you all. Keep on truckin', peeps!
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #1602
Project Deadlight
practical experience, FTW

Project Deadlight is well-respected
[QUOTE=Izz;6615417]JC is taking a three day vacation from AW, during which time i hope he'll consider what it means to respect your fellow writer, even if you don't agree with them.../QUOTE]

Wow! That's the first time I've seen it get a bit nasty round these parts. Feel a bit... defiled?

So anyway, before that I was saying, higher tier from One Story... woo hoo!
Project Deadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #1603
Opinionated Ant
I walk into things

Opinionated Ant is on a distinguished road
Somehow I missed all that! ^^

Sorry for all the R's especially Nat! But Clarkesworld is waiting.

I got my second R for the week- I turned around and subbed my first twitter piece to trapeze. On the plus, they haven't been long waits but they were awfully fast. So maybe my first attempt at twit fic fell a little short!
Opinionated Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #1604
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Analog said 'No'.

Not a huge surprise.

But they sent a whole list of 'fundamental faults'.
I'm assuming (hoping) that they send this to everyone, and it's not just that my story was so badly flawed it ticked all of those boxes.

Anyone know for sure?

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #1605
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Deadlight View Post
So anyway, before that I was saying, higher tier from One Story... woo hoo!
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated Ant View Post
Somehow I missed all that! ^^

Sorry for all the R's especially Nat! But Clarkesworld is waiting.

I got my second R for the week- I turned around and subbed my first twitter piece to trapeze. On the plus, they haven't been long waits but they were awfully fast. So maybe my first attempt at twit fic fell a little short!
Aww. *hugs* Twitter fic is fun though, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie View Post
Analog said 'No'.

Not a huge surprise.

But they sent a whole list of 'fundamental faults'.
I'm assuming (hoping) that they send this to everyone, and it's not just that my story was so badly flawed it ticked all of those boxes.

Anyone know for sure?
I think that's their standard form. At least, it's what i've gotten in the past, anyway (though both times the story i sent them ticked at least two of the boxes--not that they were actually ticked, but, y'know).

Last edited by Izz; 10-06-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #1606
Nathaniel Katz
The Evil Hat

Nathaniel Katz has a spectacular aura
Yup, that's what Analog always does, I believe. Not a problem with your tale at all.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #1607
ShadowFox

ShadowFox is well-respected
Is this the analog response you mean:

Quote:
Thank you very much for letting me see "Old" We regret that we cannot make use of it at this time.

All submissions will be examined as promptly as possible, and if suitable, will be paid for on acceptance.

Many manuscripts are rejected because of fundamental faults. Check these things:
—Since Analog is a science fiction magazine, we consider only science fiction stories—that is, stories in which some aspect of realistic science or technology plays an integral part. We do not publish fantasy or stories in which the science is only peripheral.
—Science fiction readers are problem solvers! Stories with downbeat endings, in which the characters have no hope of solving their problems, are strongly disliked by Analog readers. In a good SF story, the characters strive to solve their problems—and even if they fail in the end, they go down fighting, not whimpering.
—Good fiction demands strong, believable characters who face powerful, intriguing problems. Without these, there is no story, no matter how fascinating the ideas or scientific background may be.
—Some plot ideas have been so overworked that it’s virtually impossible to wring a fresh story from them. These include “scientific” retellings of biblical tales, time travelers who unwittingly change their world when traveling into the past, UFO stories, and stories in which the “alien” world turns out to be Earth.
—Write about what you know. Analog writers should be able to do sufficient research to get their facts straight, and they should be keen enough observers of people to write realistically about them.
—Please don’t ask for individual criticism. With hundreds of submissions per month, it is physically impossible to answer them all personally. Many writing errors are quite subtle, and extremely difficult to define clearly in a sentence or two.

Sincerely,
Stanley Schmidt
Editor

ShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #1608
Lillie

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Ah, thanks, Peeps! That was the list.

I'm sure the story ticked a few of those boxes, though!

Onward and upward

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #1609
Opinionated Ant
I walk into things

Opinionated Ant is on a distinguished road
I sent out the same twitter piece and it got rejected in an hour! But the other I submitted was accepted. my very first .
Opinionated Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #1610
sammyjwebb

sammyjwebb is on a distinguished road
Very Nice OpAnt!

I believe this deserves a Snoopy Dance

Blog Twitter

sammyjwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #1611
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
After all the excitement yesterday, it's all crickets today. Not surprising. Most of my subs are in the long wait category.

Guess it's time to get back to work.
The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #1612
beezle
Cheers

beezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Katz View Post
This seems strange. Why would they dump the stories the previous editor was considering? Seems like those'd be the ones with promise, even if they didn't all totally fit.

Anyway, not much sense dwelling. Off to Clarkesworld we go, and onwards after that.
My impression is that there was something like almost 100 stories sent up by the slush readers to the previous editor's desk over the last year, which may or may not have been read there, before being "let go" upon the changeover.
The Rainbow Serpent, Shock Totem #2, July 2010. Pseudopod, July 2012.

A Time Before, Kaleidotrope, October 2012.
beezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #1613
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated Ant View Post
I sent out the same twitter piece and it got rejected in an hour! But the other I submitted was accepted. my very first .
Awesome! Let me throw in a too!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #1614
faerydancer

faerydancer is a shiny, shiny jewelfaerydancer is a shiny, shiny jewel
Sorry about the R's everyone! I've had quite a few lately from many markets. I got the form "it's close" from Clarkesworld yesterday. But the other day, I managed to get a form from Shimmer. They always do personal rejections, so this story must've really sucked lol. *sigh*
-----

Little Brother - Bards & Sages Quarterly - January 2012
The Bachorum Principle - Fantastique Unfettered - December 2011
Maribelle Remembers Ice - Niteblade - September 2011
faerydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:44 AM   #1615
Lillie

((((Faery))))

Maybe Shimmer just couldn't find anything wrong with it. Maybe it just didn't fit the issue or something.

Yay! for the Clarkesworld R

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 10-07-2011, 03:56 AM   #1616
jazzman99
Recovering Academic

jazzman99 has a spectacular aura
On the subject of Rs, I'm working my way through the just-released "Best American Short Stories 2011" and wanted to share this: Tom Bissell says that his story, "A Bridge Under Water," was rejected fifteen times before it was taken by Agni and, ultimately, selected for the BASS volume.

Just a reminder of the importance of turning those Rs around and getting them back out the door. Certainly makes me feel better about my recent spate of Rs....
Please pick up "Resistance Front" for the Kindle at Amazon: http://amzn.to/rxKzKs . 99 cents, 30+ stories (including my "Peripheral"), and the proceeds benefit The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Now available on the Kindle: My crime novel Five Million Dollars and the Green-Eyed Girl

Read my work: "The Penthouse View" (Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, Jan/Feb 2012);"Infamous" (The First Line, Fall 2011); "Disaster Girl" (essay, Phati'tude 9/11 10th anniversary issue); "Dead Connections" (AW Speculative Fiction anthology)

www.twitter.com/jswalkerauthor
jazzman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #1617
Lillie

Got my 50th R today!

Yay!!!!

Beer and Pizza for everyone!

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 10-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #1618
faerydancer

Woo hoo!! Go Lillie!!
-----

Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #1619
Lillie

Thanks!

I needed something to cheer me up.
My hand has swollen up, and I'm typing with one hand.

It's either rheumatoid arthritis or gout.
Gout??? Seriously? People get that still???

Anyway, it's like all kinds of agony and I'm off my face on pain meds.

Yay!!!!

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 10-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #1620
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

*hugs* for Brenda and Lillie. And yay for 50 Rs!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #1621
faerydancer

Ouch, ouch, ouch! That doesn't sound very fun. I hope the swelling goes down soon. If it is gout, lay off the salt and foods high in purines (red meat, mostly). I write health articles all day, can you tell? lol
-----

Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #1622
Lillie

Shall I put vinegar on it?

I had blood took today, and the hospital will send for me soon. Until then everyone is guessing.

I'll be fine, no worries. But it's making writing difficult. Both the thinking and the doing.
But it's my left hand, so, small mercies

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 10-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #1623
faerydancer

lol yes, vinegar should do the trick haha

Well here's to hoping the swelling goes away and it was just nature's way of telling you that you're simply writing too much.
-----

Old 10-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #1624
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Aww, poor Lillie. Hope you get better soon!

Do you have one of those programs where you can talk into a microphone and the computer will type it down for you? Tho I don't know how effective those programs are.

And, uh, congrats on 50 R's!
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #1625
Lillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerydancer View Post
lol yes, vinegar should do the trick haha

Well here's to hoping the swelling goes away and it was just nature's way of telling you that you're simply writing too much.
Nah, too much wanking...

There can never be too much writing

Published stories

Most recent publications