Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #1151
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyo View Post
Apparently the website hasn't been working for a little while, and Duotrope will be declaring it dead on the 14th if nothing changes.

That doesn't actually mean it is a dead market, but it certainly looks worrisome. Has anybody queried them recently and gotten a response? There's a 2-week old question on their Facebook page asking where the website is that they haven't responded to. Certainly doesn't look promising.

After waiting that long, I'd hesitate to pull it until I was sure.

ETA: Their domain expires on Sep 20th. If it doesn't get renewed by then, that may be a sure sign. But until then, the site could be messed up from an attack of some kind or a general server problem that hasn't been addressed.

Shelley
I do remember Izz had said they had some sort of server meltdown a little while ago and the website was down because of that. Maybe I'll just query again and see if I get a response. I really don't want to withdraw the story if there are just technical difficulties in play, but...

They've also gotten pretty far behind on the publication schedule which makes me think it may be time to try somewhere else.
The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #1152
JC Romel
permaflounced

JC Romel is on a distinguished road
I'm not suggesting you do this, Aggy, but I would definitely withdraw my story. The latest submission they've responded to, according to Duotrope, was from December, and their last response was on the first of June. The site's down and your story has been there for like a year and a half.

Whether or not they're dead-dead is irrelevant. I'd pull out, sub the story elsewhere, and leave GUD alone until they get their stuff together. Right now you're only hurting yourself.
JC Romel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #1153
shelleyo
Just another face in a red jumpsuit

shelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputation
I wouldn't bother to withdraw it. If you want to submit it somewhere else, then I think you should. Just let it ride at GUD. Either they'll get it together and contact you about it eventually, or they're dead and it won't matter. If their site's down, email to anything in that domain won't work anyway.

Either way, odds are long that the place you submit and GUD will accept at the same time. One way or the other, though, you've got the fact that GUD looks dead on your side if you have to withdraw it somewhere or tell them you've already sold it. It's not really a simsub if one market appears dead.

Shelley
Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #1154
ShadowFox
practical experience, FTW

ShadowFox is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Romel View Post
... cut:lots of good stiff... No matter where you are on this journey, you're not alone, someone else has been there and persevered.

Yeah, I agree with everything you say. Thank you for taking the time to buck me up

alexshvartsman: By professional I didn't mean pay, I meant how efficient they were. Not sure I am qualified to recommend anyone. As I said, these are my first stories in the genre, so I don't want to steer you wrong.

Personally, I query at the end of three months or six months depending on the market stats. If I get no response to the query I submit to a new market. It may have got lost / caught in a filter. One and a half years is too long for any market.

Last edited by ShadowFox; 08-07-2011 at 01:48 AM.
ShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:58 AM   #1155
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's a thread in Science Fiction/Fantasy about the state of GUD health.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #1156
JC Romel
permaflounced

Shelly, great point about leaving it there.

Shadow, not a problem.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #1157
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tienci View Post
Re: ChiZine--I also received confirmation 32 days ago. The sub's been out for 61 days though, so as you can imagine, I'm eating my fingers...
Aaaaand the axe fell. Pretty much knew it would. The story's still out there though, with another market allowing sim-subs.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #1158
JC Romel
permaflounced

Sorry, Tienci. I seem to have avoided the ax for another day, despite a HUGE day for rejections from them. Since this worked last night, let's try it again...

"Good night, Westley. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."
Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #1159
faerydancer

faerydancer is a shiny, shiny jewelfaerydancer is a shiny, shiny jewel
Sorry, Tienci. Yeah, they've been rejecting lots of folks today. I'm still hanging on, too, JC. As always--eep!
-----

Little Brother - Bards & Sages Quarterly - January 2012
The Bachorum Principle - Fantastique Unfettered - December 2011
Maribelle Remembers Ice - Niteblade - September 2011
faerydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #1160
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You're not alone, Tienci.

Hope you find a good home for your story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Romel View Post

"Good night, Westley. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."
lol! Now I want to watch that movie.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #1161
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
You're not alone Tienci.

I got mine from ChiZine yesterday.

Good luck with yours elsewhere. And good luck to everyone who is still hanging on in there!

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #1162
JC Romel
permaflounced

Sorry, Lilz. At least you got some kick-ass news to prop you up against that nasty ol' R. And thanks for the well-wishes. Gonna need em!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #1163
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
Thanks guys. Good luck JC, Brenda, Nathaniel, V1c (and anyone else still waiting)!
Lillie, can't wait to hear the news in the other thread.

Last edited by Tienci; 08-08-2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: add other names
Tienci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #1164
V1c
Hmmmmm

V1c is well-respected
I was in the reject pile Best to the rest though!
V1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #1165
JC Romel
permaflounced

I can't find any rhyme or reason to the way they're going through their slush. There are 16-day rejections beside 61-day rejections beside 41-day rejections. I had hoped that the fact I was subbed earlier than some of them meant I was in a "maybe" pile or something, but I just can't parse out the meaning here.

So I'm just going to save myself the heartache and assume an R is on its way.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #1166
faerydancer

I'm with you, JC. I can't figure it out, either. Mine's been out 58 days. I seem to be right in the middle of all the rejections. Duotrope can drive a person crazy hehe
-----

Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #1167
faerydancer

Sorry to hear about that, V1c. Onto another market, huh?
-----

Old 08-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #1168
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, I noticed that about Chizine, too. Is it possible that some slushpile readers are faster than others?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #1169
defcon6000
Banned

Boo, got a rejection from 10Flash. Apparently they don't like 2nd-person narrative. Ah well...
Old 08-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #1170
V1c
Hmmmmm

V1c is well-respected
defcon - that's probably exactly it. I've read slush many times in the past, but the main mag I did it for sent slush to their readers. Some were faster than others, simple as that. Sometimes the faster readers would then go in and grab new slush, so those sent in later would get an earlier response.
V1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #1171
ShadowFox

ShadowFox is well-respected
I didn't realise Chizine had closed for submissions, apparently all the write 1 sub 1 crowd have submitted them to exhaustion.

ShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #1172
sammyjwebb

sammyjwebb is on a distinguished road
Looks like Chizine is starting to whittle down the pile and 10Flash is starting on the current quarter.

Hugs here for R's now over to Braggage to say woo-hoo.

Blog Twitter

sammyjwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #1173
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
(((((((V1c and Defcon)))))))

Good luck with finding homes for your stories.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #1174
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
Finally heard back from Strange Horizons. It was an rejection, but a personal one at least. It's kind of funny, in that the editor was specific about what he liked but vague on what he didn't. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I would like to know more about how I can fix my story rather than being told what already works.

Oh well . I'm still pretty happy to get a personal R, and I've sent the story to one of my tougher beta readers for feedback. I'm going to wait to hear from him before I send it to the next market.

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #1175
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hugs to Sai, V1c, Decon, and anyone else I missed.

Bummer of an R this morning here, but it came with really good comments. Going to let them percolate until I get home from work, and then look at the story again with a fresh eye.

-Suzanne

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)
zanzjan is offline   Reply With Quote