Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #3776
Project Deadlight
practical experience, FTW

Project Deadlight is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor V View Post
Got my R from Dark Faith 2. 88 days. Form, too, I was hoping for at least a personal since they were sending out so many personals.
Mine too.

I wouldn't fret, I don't think they are sending out as many personals as DT suggests. I think the style of their form is making people think it is a personal. Their responses seem evenly spread across Rejection, Form Rejection and Personal Rejection. So clearly there is some confusion.
Project Deadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #3777
defcon6000
In Time-Out For My Sins

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ditto on the Dark Faith 2 R. Pretty sure mine was a form R: "Didn't grab my attention, I'm afraid." Which is a bummer because I really love this story. At least now I can flesh out the ending like I always wanted to, but was restricted by the wordcount.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #3778
d.thomaswise
Misanthropic Humanist

d.thomaswise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
Having grown several humans myself, I can say that I never lost any of them in there.
Well, there's a story idea right there.

Quote:
I can also say I've waited MUCH longer than that at other markets, so it wouldn't have normally bothered me much. But since I'm already feeling low about my writing, it made me sad.
Don't get sad, get angry.

Wait, don't get angry, get obstreperous.

Oh, I see you already are.

I have nothing else useful to offer.
d.thomaswise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #3779
Taylor V

Taylor V is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
Ditto on the Dark Faith 2 R. Pretty sure mine was a form R: "Didn't grab my attention, I'm afraid." Which is a bummer because I really love this story. At least now I can flesh out the ending like I always wanted to, but was restricted by the wordcount.
I got "It's not quite what I'm looking to acquire."

My Flash Fiction Blog (Last updated 12/27/12: "On Speaking With Ghosts)
Taylor V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #3780
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Marzioli has a spectacular aura
That ratchets up my anxiety. I'm at 115 days at Dark Faith 2. Probably got lost :/

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Marzioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #3781
WordCount
You don't have coffee? Go away.

WordCount is a shiny, shiny jewelWordCount is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzioli View Post
That ratchets up my anxiety. I'm at 115 days at Dark Faith 2. Probably got lost :/
I'm starting to think the same about my One Buck Horror sub.

*hopes they don't use it as what not to do in a submission
Part of the Job: An Edward Shelton Murder Mystery--editing, proofreading. The works.

Here is my latest idea for a project. It's in the works. Any thoughts and comments will be extremely appreciated, whether you tell me it's gold or utter crap. Leave a comment and get a +1.
WordCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #3782
defcon6000
In Time-Out For My Sins

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor V View Post
I got "It's not quite what I'm looking to acquire."
At least he read yours. Sounds like mine bored him.

Quote:
Perhaps he's considering yours. Acceptances might be coming last.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #3783
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Quote:
Perhaps he's considering yours. Acceptances might be coming last.
Perhaps. The problem I have is the rejection sets are between a specific date. I can't believe it just so happens that everything over 100 days is being considered, you know?

Blog:
Tales From Marz

Last edited by Marzioli; 04-28-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #3784
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Rejection from Analog for "Call-Center". Back to searching for a good market for it. Might go out on a limb and try it at Tin House before they close for the summer. It is a zombie story but a very adult one, yes?

Aggy, all about pushing the envelope

The Collections Agent: Stupefying Stories SHOWCASE
Vessels for Destruction: Nature Magazine
Brass Stars: Eggplant Literary Productions

In the Cool of the Day: Abyss & Apex

A.G. Carpenter : updated 3.14
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #3785
defcon6000
In Time-Out For My Sins

Quote:
Perhaps. The problem I have is the rejection sets are between a specific date. I can't believe it just so happens that everything over 100 days is being considered, you know?
Well, don't forget, not everyone reports their responses on duotropes. There probably were 100+ day rejections.

There's also the possibility that maybe the stories were rejected before they made it past the 100-day mark.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #3786
goldmund
---

goldmund is well-respected
Here's my Dark Faith 2: "I loved the opening and the structure, but the tale as a whole isn't quite what I'm looking to acquire."

Serves me fine, as I never actually noticed the anthology was concerned with a topic of faith 8-|

Go me.

I live by the dark river. (dark fantasy, magic realism)

My adventure game.
goldmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #3787
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
70 day rejection from Lore. I'm running out of horror markets...

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:04 AM   #3788
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Quote:
There's also the possibility that maybe the stories were rejected before they made it past the 100-day mark.
I hope so. In any case, there are about 60 subs left, and probably more than three times as many unreported. I still have a long way to go before I'm anywhere near declaring triumph.

44-day R from Shock Totem. That was a long shot, a dark fantasy unlike anything I've ever read in their first four volumes. I think I'll rewrite it before submitting it again. I don't think the first person perspective is working in its favor.

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 04-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #3789
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai View Post
70 day rejection from Lore. I'm running out of horror markets...
Did you notice Midnight Echo? Limited Print and e-publication, open to international subs, and $.03 a word. Their covers are freakin' fantastic, as good as any of the awesome Weird Tales and Shock Totem covers I've seen. 5K max word count though.

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 04-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #3790
WordCount
You don't have coffee? Go away.

WordCount is a shiny, shiny jewelWordCount is a shiny, shiny jewel
*looks at the possible options of where to send this mystery.

I don't really want to send it to Alfred Hitchcock, because I won't hear back until the end of the summer. But I don't want to send it to Washington Pastime because of their being a false "pro-paying" market.

Wordcount, trying like hell to weigh the pros and cons.
Part of the Job: An Edward Shelton Murder Mystery--editing, proofreading. The works.

Here is my latest idea for a project. It's in the works. Any thoughts and comments will be extremely appreciated, whether you tell me it's gold or utter crap. Leave a comment and get a +1.
WordCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #3791
Mad Rabbits

Mad Rabbits is on a distinguished road
The silence is deafening here.

I've got a story at Stupefying Stories which has now gone "red" on my duo trope submissions tracker. Wondering if they actually received it now!

http://obeliamodjeska.blogspot.com.au/
Mad Rabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #3792
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Rabbits View Post
The silence is deafening here.

I've got a story at Stupefying Stories which has now gone "red" on my duo trope submissions tracker. Wondering if they actually received it now!
If in doubt, query. Mr. Bethke is very nice about responding to polite queries regarding submissions that are past the 60 (?) day window.

The Collections Agent: Stupefying Stories SHOWCASE
Vessels for Destruction: Nature Magazine
Brass Stars: Eggplant Literary Productions

In the Cool of the Day: Abyss & Apex

A.G. Carpenter : updated 3.14
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #3793
Mad Rabbits

Mad Rabbits is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
If in doubt, query. Mr. Bethke is very nice about responding to polite queries regarding submissions that are past the 60 (?) day window.
That's good to know. It's not at 60 yet but not far.

http://obeliamodjeska.blogspot.com.au/
Mad Rabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #3794
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
Quote:
Did you notice Midnight Echo? Limited Print and e-publication, open to international subs, and $.03 a word. Their covers are freakin' fantastic, as good as any of the awesome Weird Tales and Shock Totem covers I've seen. 5K max word count though.
My story is 4,600 words! Boo-yah! Thanks for the tip .

Kuri-ousity.com

Old 04-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #3795
zanzjan
still on my first cup of tea
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry about the Rs and crickets, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.thomaswise View Post
Don't get sad, get angry.
Wait, don't get angry, get obstreperous.
Heh. I am *always* obstreperous.

The R was personal, though no feedback in it. Usually they're much faster, too. I seem to attract Crickets of Extended Longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
Rejection from Analog for "Call-Center". Back to searching for a good market for it. Might go out on a limb and try it at Tin House before they close for the summer. It is a zombie story but a very adult one, yes?

Aggy, all about pushing the envelope
Maybe try Black Static? They took a Naughty Zombie story from me several years back, so certainly it's something they're open to.

"Shh. Listen to the sounds that surround you. Notice the pitches, the volume, the timbre, the many lines of counterpoint. As light taught Monet to paint, the earth may be teaching you music." -- Pete Seeger
zanzjan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #3796
V1c
Hmmmmm

V1c is well-respected
Quote:
Well, there's my 278-day R from Analog.
So sorry to hear that. But at least you got the R sent to you? *shrugs* IDK, it sucks.
V1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #3797
kd1984

kd1984 is on a distinguished road
Rejection from The Colored Lens for "The Consumption". Very nice personal with some compliments, but I don't know how to take a comment that indicates that the concept is well visualized and clearly articulated, but the plot should be deeper to allow for the gore. Maybe I'll take it as a compliment.

I think I've subbed to all my markets that don't allow sim subs. Off to send this story elsewhere. Grumble, grumble, grumble.
kd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #3798
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Rejection from Daily Science Fiction this morning, but just now I sent it off to Apex. And the beat goes on...

Kuri-ousity.com

Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #3799
mhaynes

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Rejects from The Colored Lens and Kasma today.

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #3800
Shadow
New kid, be gentle!

Shadow is on a distinguished road
2 day rejection from 42-m*gazine.
2012 sales: 3(52 rejections)
2013 sales: 0
2014 sales so far:

I was skeptical too but its a legit way to take surveys and earn money: http://www.opinionoutpost.com/genera...5p3oR18uK6yp9h

Last edited by Shadow; 05-01-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote