Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #2876
mhaynes
practical experience, FTW

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
Ouch! Just got my first short story rejection of the year. This one stings a bit, and I have to say I am sad. I thought I was used to rejection after being a journalist for ten years, but it feels different with short stories. And now I am thinking the write1/sub1 challenge could result in 52 stories being rejected. Did I really sign up for a year of rejection?
Hi there! Sorry to hear that you're feeling down after the rejection. I can relate, though, as I was feeling pretty cruddy about my latest rejections earlier this week.

Not to be too blunt, but if you're new to writing short fiction and you're submitting (at least initially) to paying markets, then to some extent -- yes, you did sign up for a year of rejection. Most markets that pay more than a token amount probably take 10% or fewer of the stories they receive. For top-end markets, it's probably more like under 1% in general.

But nearly every short story writer starts with the rejections before getting the acceptances. And though it might sound trite, it really DOES make the acceptances feel special.

I hope this helps and that you hang in there!

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #2877
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Marzioli has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
And now I am thinking the write1/sub1 challenge could result in 52 stories being rejected. Did I really sign up for a year of rejection?
That's nothing, my friend. I already wracked up 22 rejections this year alone. If you get into the swing of things, they're in and out like a boomerang, modified slightly or altered altogether to correct any problems a re-read might have uncovered.

Recent Publications:
- "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

- "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Marzioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #2878
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Yeah, year of rejections.

Just had two of them

That makes 23 stories, 5 acceptances and 95 rejections since I started 10 months ago.

Meh. Really, you just have to get used to it.
Some of my stories have been rejected so much, I can't think of anywhere else to send them.

Keep writing, keep subbing.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #2879
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Lillie,

You may not realize this, but at 5% you have a *very* high acceptance ratio compared to many short fiction authors.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #2880
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Really?

Wow

That's cheered me up.

Thanks, Alex!

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #2881
JenWriter
Word Count Slayer

JenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputation
Aaaaand one cricket has stopped. R from FFO. *sigh* It truly feels like I am never going to get an acceptance.

Current WIP: 2k / 80k written
Short Stories Out: 2

Youtube - Twitter - Blog -
Facebook
JenWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #2882
pangalactic
Gargling blasters

pangalactic has a spectacular aura
Since I started doing W1S1 (whenever that was...must be at least 12 months ago now) I've had 7 acceptances and 46 rejections from 20 stories. (I'm not counting stories that I wrote prior to starting W1S1 and I'm also not counting Twitter fiction). I'm pretty happy with that success rate, though I should say that none of these have been paying sales unfortunately.

Still sitting on a bucketload of crickets here.

http://www.chrisbissette.com
I'm writing a story a day for a year. Come say hello!

@pangalactic
pangalactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #2883
Adam Israel
Formerly known as StoneTable
AW Moderator

Adam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputation
I'm not technically doing the W1S1 challenge. Last year was busy; I only managed to write five short stories and a piece of flash fiction but I sold three of the shorts and the other three pieces are managing more personal rejections than form.

I scrubbed my story list yesterday and realized I have twenty stories in need of revision. That said, I had a pretty good year with subs, partially because I've kept up with you guys and my Clarion classmates, keeping myself accountable and tracking stats.

Looks like I've sent out 46 subs in the last 12 months with a 6.67% acceptance rate. All paying, but no pro. Nothing to sneeze at, but I'm still falling short of my goal of joining SFWA. I'm getting close, though. I can feel it in my bones. I just need to get to revising and submit some qualifying markets.

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." - Nikola Tesla
Adam Israel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #2884
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
Lillie,

You may not realize this, but at 5% you have a *very* high acceptance ratio compared to many short fiction authors.
Huh. That's interesting. Mine's 58 Rejections and 17 Acceptances over the past 12 months for 37 stories. Of course, 12 of those acceptances were for Twitter stories. I still have a hard time taking those seriously. :P I assumed my stats were low. But maybe not.

The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Stupefying Stories SHOWCASE

A.G. Carpenter : updated 7.14
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #2885
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWriter View Post
Aaaaand one cricket has stopped. R from FFO. *sigh* It truly feels like I am never going to get an acceptance.
It gets like that sometimes. I haven't sold a story yet this year, but have had plenty of Rs.

What i force myself to do is to write the next story. That, and continually looking at how we can improve our story-telling, is pretty much all we can do.

Keep at it! I'm sure that next sale is just around the corner
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #2886
O'Dandelo

O'Dandelo is well-respected
Rejection from Shimmer for a story that had been "sent up to the full board" a few days ago. But it's by far the best rejection of the 12 I've received. Some very nice things were said. It seemed one aspect of the story made them pass on it, but everything else was very flattering.

Disappointing. I thought I was close to my first sale. But I'll try them again soon. And I still have my West Pigeon Press second-rounder.
O'Dandelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #2887
fihr

fihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to behold
Better luck next time, O'Dandelo. Maybe the fact it got as far as it did, and the encouraging words, mean that its got a good chance of finding a home somewhere else.
fihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #2888
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
I've had nothing but crickets for two weeks, until tonight when I received a rejection from Pseudopod. They usually do personal rejections, which I appreciate (they said my story was evocative, but that they were looking for more intense horror).

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #2889
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Got an R from Lightspeed for a particular work that just used up the last available, viable pro-market. Now on to the semi-pros!

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #2890
faerydancer

faerydancer is a shiny, shiny jewelfaerydancer is a shiny, shiny jewel
Commiserations, everybody.

Marzoli, I just got a rejection from Lightspeed, too. I've never received a personal R or even a higher tier R from them. Ever. I'm beginning to develop a complex.
-----

Little Brother - Bards & Sages Quarterly - January 2012
The Bachorum Principle - Fantastique Unfettered - December 2011
Maribelle Remembers Ice - Niteblade - September 2011
faerydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #2891
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Got my Lightspeed R tonight as well. As per Duotrope, they didn't seem to send out any Rs in the last 2 days, so they probably accumulated at the desk of whoever sends them out and we got them all at once.

Don't feel bad, Brenda. I never get a higher-tier form from them OR Clarkesworld yet. A milestone to work toward

And Aggy, I'm not sure what the Twitter subs/ratios are... but if you look at the acceptance statistics from paying short fiction markets, the acceptance ratio is well below 5%.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #2892
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Yeah, seriously. Those guys are built to churn out rejections. If only they did some sort of coded response like F&SF so you at least know where on the scale you fell.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #2893
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm still waiting on Lightspeed, so it's true rejectomancy time! I didn't think to check their new sub system right after submitting, so I'm not sure if I'm waiting in the queue or someone's looked at it.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #2894
Aggy B.

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
And Aggy, I'm not sure what the Twitter subs/ratios are... but if you look at the acceptance statistics from paying short fiction markets, the acceptance ratio is well below 5%.
Yes. Twitter fic has a much higher acceptance rate. (Though I think I've only had one Twit story that was accepted by the first place I sent it. Most have been rejected at least once.)

When I look at just my short fiction stats the ratio changes from being about 1 in 3 to about 1 in 7. (Acceptance to rejection, obviously.) I had thought that must be about average, but maybe not. /derail

I'm all crickets this morning. Apex story is sitting at 41 days. One at DSF and C&C sitting close to the first round rejection period. :P

Aggy, good at rejecting her own work

@Aggy_C
Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #2895
ohthatmomagain
writing, working, weeping, winning

ohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to behold
I have a 43 day at EDF..... I'd like it back if they don't want it lol

Out Now SAINT SLOAN
...every saint as a past...

Twitter: @martieKay

ohthatmomagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #2896
Aggy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthatmomagain View Post
I have a 43 day at EDF..... I'd like it back if they don't want it lol
You can expect to wait another 20 days or so before you get a response. Mine got kicked at the slush level after 65 days.

@Aggy_C
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #2897
goldmund
---

goldmund is well-respected
Aggie, what markets do you recommend for twit fic?
Apart from Nanoism I don't know any.
goldmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #2898
ohthatmomagain

ohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to behold
onefortyfiction is a good one for twit fic. Non-paying. I don't know any paying besides nanoism (been rejected there many a time lol)

Out Now SAINT SLOAN

Last edited by ohthatmomagain; 02-20-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #2899
ohthatmomagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
You can expect to wait another 20 days or so before you get a response. Mine got kicked at the slush level after 65 days.

So that means I'll stop checking daily for another 3 weeks then lol. I think that will help my disappointment from that story. It's just a little 131 word one, and I don't have high hopes for it... but stranger things have happened lol

Out Now SAINT SLOAN

Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #2900
Taylor V

Taylor V is on a distinguished road
Just got a rejection from redstone...

Quote:
Taylor,

Thank you for submitting "Make It Rain" to Redstone Science Fiction. We have decided to pass on your story.

We will reopen for submissions on May 1, 2012, and I hope to hear from you again then.

Best Regards,

pc

Paul Clemmons
Editor
Redstone Science Fiction
Is the bolded part just part of their form, or is it actually a good sign?

My Flash Fiction Blog (Last updated 12/27/12: "On Speaking With Ghosts)
Taylor V is offline   Reply With Quote