Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #51
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Welcome V1c, Eddyz and TheBigEasy.

The procrastinator part is really helped by the whole W1S1 thing. That's pretty much the idea. Hang out with us, write, share your successes and failures and before you know it you might improve your productivity. Well, a little, anyway
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #52
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
Welcome V1c, Eddyz and TheBigEasy.

The procrastinator part is really helped by the whole W1S1 thing. That's pretty much the idea. Hang out with us, write, share your successes and failures and before you know it you might improve your productivity. Well, a little, anyway
Co-signing with Alex.
In 2009, I wrote a grand total of one short story for the year, an adaptation of a short film I wrote.
In 2010, again, one short story written--a flash piece @ 600 words for NPR's 3 minute fiction contest.

This year, because of W1S1, 12 new stories so far so it's helped a bit.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #53
Candystar
(>^_^)> <(^_^<)

Candystar is on a distinguished road
(<_< so I'm very new. The person above me has been a member since 2005 and I thought that meant this thread was last visited in 2005. Oh dear. so I'm posting again... and sorry for making a mess of things.)

Writing a story a week sounds exciting and challenging. Submitting a story a week sounds horrifying. I'm too scared to submit my stories... it's like saying they're done, and I have to release them into the ether. Like I have said all I can say on them.

What if I write a story and week, but don't submit them? I :P
Candystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #54
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
If you don't submit your stories your end result will be exactly the same as getting all the stories rejected. So given that, why not try and see if you might get an acceptance?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #55
zanzjan
Hark the hotdog soda olive grape!
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
If you don't submit your stories your end result will be exactly the same as getting all the stories rejected. So given that, why not try and see if you might get an acceptance?
Not quite, because every Large Round Number of rejections you're allowed to throw yourself a big party, so no rejections = no party, and what fun is that?

(Also, welcome, candystar. There's also a monthly W1S1 if weekly seems a bit steep, and there's a thread here for getting out one's post-rejection blues in the company of friends. If you're gonna do it, this is the best place. )

-Suzanne

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
zanzjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #56
PenmonkeyAl
Uh... That Guy...

PenmonkeyAl is on a distinguished road
Question where do we submit our works? I am interested in joining since I have a few ideas. No idea how long I can last for but this does sound like fun.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #57
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

Zilva: It depends on what kind of stuff you write. Duotrope.com is an excellent resource for finding magazines and other various publishers to submit to. And if you have a story that's just difficult to classify, you can always ask the advice of the folks here, especially if it's a spec fic piece, as a large proportion of us write that.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #58
EnitaMeadows
practical experience, FTW

EnitaMeadows is on a distinguished road
I'm so grateful for this thread; I had absolutely no clue what W1S1 meant. Now that I know, it sounds kind of interesting. Maybe upon the new year, I'll take the challenge, although it may be difficult since I'm more of a novelist.

Eire $.99
Great bonds are made even without the help of magic.
Others are severed with the swing of the sword.

The Messenger $5.95
From MuseItUp Publishing
A tale of a girl, a skinwalker, and the
curse that threatens to tear them apart.
EnitaMeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #59
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

mfowler76 is on a distinguished road
Enita: Welcome! Visit our site anytime for details and updates: Write1Sub1

Last edited by mfowler76; 08-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.
mfowler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #60
Eva Lefoy

Eva Lefoy is on a distinguished road
My question would be, where do you submit the works? Is there a resource on AW that might have those answers?

Ah, I see you've answered that question up above -- sorta. Is there a list of literary magazines and also erotica sites that one can sub to though? What about SciFi?

For those of us that write a little bit of everything....

And, how about self-publishing? Anybody tackling that dog in W1S1?

Last edited by Eva Lefoy; 08-22-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Eva Lefoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #61
Celesta
loves writing :)

Celesta is well-respected
I've decided to send each story out 3 times and then self-publish them.
Celesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #62
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
Hi Jarrah--Duotrope has a filter for all of those i.e., in the "Genre" field, you can choose Erotica or Sci-Fi or even Western if you'd like.
I'd advise leaving the "Subgenre" and even the "Style" field open though--at least at first; in fact, I'd recommend then choosing only "Length" and "Payscale" and seeing what comes up. Narrow it further if the results are overwhelming.

ETA--Personally, I'd sub at least 15 times before even considering any other options (besides re-working/re-writing).
My first sold story got 6 rejections before selling.

Last edited by Tienci; 08-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Tienci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #63
fihr

fihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to behold
This is a fantastic idea. I'm not sure I've yet got the courage to try it, but its tempting. Great way of forming a writing habit.
fihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #64
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

Definitely. Stop by Write1Sub1 to learn more.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #65
readlorey
figuring it all out

readlorey is on a distinguished road
nice idea

I like the idea....I need to submit more though I have just recently submitted a short and it's going to be published soon. But I'm not sure if I can do one a month. I do know I can't do one a week. My pain in the arse day job takes up a lot of my writing time.

But I'm game, in between two websites, one blog, Facebook, Twitter, paranormal magazine, speeches, and other odds and ends.

I even have the beginning for a new short as soon as I get the chance to write it.

So my answer is 'maybe'

My website:
http://www.lorettastradley.com/

My blog:
http://readlorey.wordpress.com/

Central Indiana Writers' Association
http://sites.google.com/site/centralindianawriters/

Last edited by readlorey; 09-01-2011 at 05:30 PM.
readlorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #66
jazzman99
Recovering Academic

jazzman99 has a spectacular aura
Hoy cow--I thought I was being ambitious to aim for a story a month, and then I met you folks. I've already learned this year that what you guys are saying is true, though--setting ambitious goals and sticking to them is the way to really getting your writing moving.

So count me in! A story a week to the end of the year--I just may be able to do that. It helps that I just sent one out last night, so I've already got this week covered!
Please pick up "Resistance Front" for the Kindle at Amazon: http://amzn.to/rxKzKs . 99 cents, 30+ stories (including my "Peripheral"), and the proceeds benefit The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Now available on the Kindle: My crime novel Five Million Dollars and the Green-Eyed Girl

Read my work: "The Penthouse View" (Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, Jan/Feb 2012);"Infamous" (The First Line, Fall 2011); "Disaster Girl" (essay, Phati'tude 9/11 10th anniversary issue); "Dead Connections" (AW Speculative Fiction anthology)

www.twitter.com/jswalkerauthor
jazzman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #67
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

Welcome! Write1Sub1 is all about stretching ourselves as writers and encouraging each other along the way. Great to have you on board.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #68
Ovid9
Professional Procrastinator

Ovid9 is on a distinguished road
This concept terrifies and fascinates me.

I mean, I'm a Professional Procrastinator and all. But, seeing as how I finished a short story this week, I'm all puffed up and full of myself, so, why not right?

Here goes nothing!
Ovid9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #69
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #70
Libbie
Worst song played on ugliest guitar

Libbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Since I ended up parting ways with my second agent earlier this year, I also found myself parting ways with that particular agency contract, which didn't allow me to sell my own short fiction (silly, IMO, because short fiction usually doesn't pay beans, so why would an agent care?) While I was with that agency I neglected my short fiction most horribly, as I didn't see it as being worth my time. (Sad.)

But now that I'm on my own again (for now, at any rate), I am getting interested in my short work again, and in writing more. So with that in mind, I am joining up W1/S1 and will be setting aside some time every week to write some new short fiction and get it on submission. I love Ray Bradbury, so why not emulate his methods? Short fiction still doesn't pay beans (usually), but it's fun and I like being able to say that I've just sold another story. It makes me sound a lot more impressive than I actually am.

I sent off a submission to Clarkesworld tonight. It's an older piece, sort of a Steampunk/sci-fi/alternate history thing. I'll start hammering away at something new tomorrow so I can sub it next week.

yay!
Libbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #71
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

Welcome, Libbie!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #72
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome along, Libbie!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #73
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

Welcome aboard, Libbie! Stop by Write1Sub1 anytime, and let us know how the hammering is going.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 AM   #74
GCU_Dramatic Exit

GCU_Dramatic Exit is on a distinguished road
I'm feeling like I need a kick up the ol' backside so I'm goin' to join up for the monthly W1S1.
GCU_Dramatic Exit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 AM   #75
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Woohoo, GCU!