Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #1926
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Heheheheh.

More Wondermark: The Fiction Generator
The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #1927
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, got a little over 1000 words tonight on my write1 for this month. But feeling unusually tired for only 7:45 pm. I think I may end up calling it a night early, unless I get a second wind here pretty soon.

soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #1928
Lillie
practical experience, FTW
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Great story, JC!
Very creepy.

Congratulations

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #1929
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

mfowler76 is on a distinguished road
Nice work, Joe.

Been working on revisions this week, trying to shave a couple thousand words off a weird western novelette. When I get it down to 10K, I'm thinking I'll sub it to Big Pulp or serialize it for Fried Fiction.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #1930
MattJ
Publish or Die Trying

MattJ is on a distinguished road
I just finished the 1st draft of my Pedestal story. If I can clean up one more story, I should be back on track.

And I started my novel. I couldn't help myself.

http://wayofthewriter.blogspot.com/

“Be a lamp unto yourself. Work out your liberation with diligence.” Buddha

MattJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #1931
JC Romel
permaflounced

JC Romel is on a distinguished road
Thanks, guys. Just got an email from them saying they're closing after their October issue and the site will go dark as of December 1, so...yeah. Feeling great right about now.
JC Romel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #1932
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Romel View Post
Thanks, guys. Just got an email from them saying they're closing after their October issue and the site will go dark as of December 1, so...yeah. Feeling great right about now.
That stinks, sorry to hear it. Also, I liked them. )-:

Still crickets here. Over average RT on three of the six things I have out, for a range of wait from 21 to 499 days.

Haven't been writing at all this week, which is an unusually long break for me. Too much life stress & stupid headache (day 175!) Maybe next week.

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)
zanzjan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #1933
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Romel View Post
Ahhh, so that's why I couldn't find their submission guidelines. Well that's awesome you got into their market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
Still crickets here. Over average RT on three of the six things I have out, for a range of wait from 21 to 499 days.

Haven't been writing at all this week, which is an unusually long break for me. Too much life stress & stupid headache (day 175!) Maybe next week.
Boo. Hate stress. Hope everyone is okay.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #1934
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Gotten some writing done over the past few days. Also cleaned off my desk downstairs. (Not something I'd planned to do but it turned out the cats had been pissing all over my stuff so there wasn't much choice.) Now it's all refinished and clean. Nice.

Officially agreed to my contract with DSF. Now it's just a wait to see when they'll be publishing Insomnia.

Now, I'm off home to try and finish up the revisions to The Hardest Kiss. And (hopefully) watch the Eagles kick Atlanta's ass.

Later!
The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #1935
faerydancer

faerydancer is a shiny, shiny jewelfaerydancer is a shiny, shiny jewel
Not too much new over here. Been busy trying to fix up some stories that have been rejected one too many times. A newer sci-fi story called "Infinity Outpost at the Edge of the Universe" has been giving me problems but I think I've got a solution for it. I also just figured out a fix to the story I entered into the Identity Crisis contest. All in all, it doesn't feel like I'm making much progress but I suppose I am just the same.

Once I finish those two stories, I'm moving on to revising the draft of a story I wrote last month. It's long though--over 7k--which is my longest short story to date.

Somewhere in there, I need to get forward motion on my novel. Too many projects! Brain going to 'splode!
-----

Little Brother - Bards & Sages Quarterly - January 2012
The Bachorum Principle - Fantastique Unfettered - December 2011
Maribelle Remembers Ice - Niteblade - September 2011
faerydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #1936
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
A submission of mine has been out to The Paris Review for 108 days which isn't odd by their usual RT stats but in the past 30 days, all responses came in between 26 and 63 days.
Either my response got lost in the mail (which is actually quite likely since moving somewhat recently) or...? (Yes, being out almost twice as long as the most recent longest wait time has me hoping I'm in second round considerations or something).

Last edited by Tienci; 09-19-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Tienci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #1937
Emptyeye

Emptyeye is on a distinguished road
Submitted Isolation to a market called Comets and Criminals. Some of you may have heard of it.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #1938
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good luck Tienci and Emptyeye!

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #1939
jazzman99
Recovering Academic

jazzman99 has a spectacular aura
Lots of good news around here lately! It's downright inspirational.

I'm supposed to be working on revising my darned novel, but instead tonight I wrote the first 600 words of a story intended for the Poe tribute volume (see Paying Markets). Having a lot of fun trying to ape Poe's style!
Please pick up "Resistance Front" for the Kindle at Amazon: http://amzn.to/rxKzKs . 99 cents, 30+ stories (including my "Peripheral"), and the proceeds benefit The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Now available on the Kindle: My crime novel Five Million Dollars and the Green-Eyed Girl

Read my work: "The Penthouse View" (Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, Jan/Feb 2012);"Infamous" (The First Line, Fall 2011); "Disaster Girl" (essay, Phati'tude 9/11 10th anniversary issue); "Dead Connections" (AW Speculative Fiction anthology)

www.twitter.com/jswalkerauthor
jazzman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #1940
REDefiant
figuring it all out

REDefiant is on a distinguished road
Just checking in. I haven't been keeping up with things, as my transition to college didn't include a comfortable place for me to write. It's strange how I need to have things just right to get in the correct state of mind to write.

However, writing has been on my mind a lot lately. It's something I don't think I'll ever be able to fully ignore, so I'll be back at it soon. Very soon.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #1941
JC Romel
permaflounced

JC Romel is on a distinguished road
Good to hear from you, RED.
JC Romel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #1942
Nathaniel Katz
The Evil Hat

Nathaniel Katz has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDefiant View Post
Just checking in. I haven't been keeping up with things, as my transition to college didn't include a comfortable place for me to write. It's strange how I need to have things just right to get in the correct state of mind to write.

However, writing has been on my mind a lot lately. It's something I don't think I'll ever be able to fully ignore, so I'll be back at it soon. Very soon.
College freshmen as well? Me too. Finding time's rather more difficult now, though I've been somewhat managing and am hoping to do so more efficiently in the future.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #1943
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

Eh, let yourself get settled into college, and writing will find you again -- right when you've got a big paper due, natch.

Crickets are positively geriatric over here -- I actually heard one today, instead of chirp, just sort of mumble "yeah, whatever."

Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #1944
sammyjwebb

sammyjwebb is on a distinguished road
Working on the umpteenth - okay 4th - complete rework of my Red Riding Hood story for Enchanted Conversation. Thought I was golden in July when I banged the first version out. Now - can't stand the thing!

Blog Twitter

sammyjwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #1945
AnnieColleen
Re-NaNoing

AnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You had a version in July? I just got a draft finished this morning! Still needs a lot of polish, too.

Quote:
right when you've got a big paper due, natch.
Yep, this. College can be a really fun writing environment, though, especially if you find some likeminded people.

I keep telling myself crickets are good luck. (particularly in regards to the AW anthology, but in general too)

When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: "House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day."
~Neil Gaiman

Last edited by AnnieColleen; 09-20-2011 at 10:41 AM.
AnnieColleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #1946
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Crickets are positively geriatric over here -- I actually heard one today, instead of chirp, just sort of mumble "yeah, whatever."
At this rate it will be telling you to get off its lawn in a few more weeks!
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #1947
MattJ
Publish or Die Trying

Some one on another forum compared waiting to Schrodinger's cat. It may be an acceptance or a rejection--- perhaps, one might say, it exists in an inbetween state.

Whereas, a rejection is a rejection. Nothing is ever going to make that rejection an acceptance.

So I don't mind waiting.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #1948
Nathaniel Katz
The Evil Hat

Nathaniel Katz has a spectacular aura
This is a new awkward mistake for me: I just sent a submission with the wrong cover letter. As in, wrong story title, wrong word count, and wrong editor addressed at the top. I... don't think this editor's going to like me much. Not exactly my best day.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #1949
SmallThing
Eek!

SmallThing is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Katz View Post
This is a new awkward mistake for me: I just sent a submission with the wrong cover letter. As in, wrong story title, wrong word count, and wrong editor addressed at the top. I... don't think this editor's going to like me much. Not exactly my best day.
I suspect with everything so clearly wrong, it will be written off as an accident. Don't panic.

Procrastinating. I've two warring stories in my head and don't want to sit down to write either. Instead, I wonder why it must still rain. I go away for a week -- no rain. I come home -- rain all week. Perhaps I'll mope for a bit. I'm sure that will help.

My inbox is a barren wasteland at the moment. No responses and seven things out.
SmallThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #1950
MattJ
Publish or Die Trying

Combine them, I say!

I more or less have one sub for the month, but it should be a 2,500 word story but the limit is 1,500.

Which is tempting me to do the unthinkable:

Write 1, Sub 1, then EXPAND the story while its with an editor. If it gets rejected, then I'll have the fuller version ready to go. If it gets accepted, well, I'll just be elated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallThing View Post
Procrastinating. I've two warring stories in my head and don't want to sit down to write either.