Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
IWannaWrite
Banned

IWannaWrite is on a distinguished road
Awakened vs. Awoken

I was awoken from my sleep.

I was awakened from my sleep.

Which is correct please?
IWannaWrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Detri Redmond
Apprentice Wordslinger

Detri Redmond is well-respected
I think the second one

Hostess, pfft! Reppies... now that's the
stuff.

"Write the book you love, without fear. " - AW member Toothpaste
Detri Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
IWannaWrite
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detri Redmond View Post
I think the second one
Thanks. Is awoken even a word? If so, when is it used?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
amyashley
Stunt-Writer

amyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputation
"I was woken from my sleep."

This is probably the correct wording you need. I would steer clear of awaken for the type of book you are writing. It's a little, um, high language for a contemporary novel. Maybe if you were writing something historical or a high fantasy.

FLTR (dystopian fantasy insanity) *OMG IT'S EATING MY BRAIN.*
amyashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

I was awoken by the alarm clock.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
Sentosa
practical experience, FTW

Sentosa is a shiny, shiny jewelSentosa is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaWrite View Post
Thanks. Is awoken even a word? If so, when is it used?
My dictionary shows it as a past tense of awake. He was awoken by a knock at the door.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
IWannaWrite
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrowork View Post

I was awoken by the alarm clock.
I don't understand how those two examples are different. Are you saying that the words can be used interchangeably?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
bip
has a dog with shifty eyes

bip is well-respected
I would go with "I was done woke up by that there alarm clock"
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
bonitakale
practical experience, FTW

bonitakale is a splendid one to beholdbonitakale is a splendid one to beholdbonitakale is a splendid one to behold
My alarm clock woke me at seven.

Here's something about that:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/awoken-or-awakened/

Manuscript Line Editing at BKEdits
bonitakale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
amyashley
Stunt-Writer

amyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputationamyashley has a double-platinum reputation
Great article!

FLTR (dystopian fantasy insanity) *OMG IT'S EATING MY BRAIN.*
amyashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's one of those baffling things about English. Awake. Wake. Awaken. Awoke. Woke. Awakened. WTF?

That and prepositions. Mind-boggling.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
Karen Junker
Live a little. Write a lot.

Karen Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
I was awoken from my sleep.

Which is correct please?
Both of these are a little passive. If you must have a character waking from sleep (one of the most common cliches and signs of a newbie writer), try something more active. How about: The alarm clock tore me out of a deep sleep.
Karen Junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #13
IWannaWrite
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Junker View Post
Both of these are a little passive. If you must have a character waking from sleep (one of the most common cliches and signs of a newbie writer), try something more active. How about: The alarm clock tore me out of a deep sleep.
It's not for a novel; it is for a letter I am writing to complain about something as in "I was awakened from my sleep at 3 am by the rap music blaring from my neighbor's teenage son's car as he drove by my house."
Old 01-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #14
Karen Junker
Live a little. Write a lot.

Karen Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthood
Oh, well, in that case go for it!
Karen Junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 AM   #15
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I don't understand how those two examples are different. Are you saying that the words can be used interchangeably?
As near as I can tell, yes, they are interchangeable. For some reason, "awoken" just sounds off to me, like it's maybe archaic. If I hit it as a reader, that's what I would think. So maybe if your story is trying to convey something from a past era, or the like, it would work. If you're dealing with a modern setting, I'd go with "awakened".

But, in either case, it pretty much dictates a passive sentence construction, and you might avoid the question by recasting the sentence into an active construction.

Addendum: I posted this before I saw your last post, so it's a little irrelevant to that purpose. But as a general writing comment, maybe useful, so I'll leave it as is.
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #16
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bip View Post
I would go with "I was done woke up by that there alarm clock"

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by bip View Post
I would go with "I was done woke up by that there damn alarm clock"
Editorial correction.
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote