Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #14076
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbishop View Post
So when do you guys know that you're ready for a beta read? I've thought "this is as polished as I can possibly make it" several times and sent my WIP out to betas, only to have someone's feedback spur a complete rewrite of a chapter, or the addition of a completely new one. Then at that point, I need to do the beta thing all over again to be sure I haven't ruined the flow of the plot, or created character inconsistencies, or made introduced a new character that now needs more "screen" time to seem believable.

Also, I'm so much happier with my first chapter now that I've posted in SYW and rewritten it based on the feedback it got, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to improve my other chapters. It was so helpful to see how multiple critters picked up on the same issues, but I can't very well post every chapter in my WIP and expect that sort of help, and I'm having a hard time applying the concepts of what was said to other portions of my story. Or is that what multiple beta readers are for?
"This is as polished as I can make it," is my guideline. Basically I'm ready for betas when I know that I've gotten as far as I can go without a second (and more) set of eyes telling me the faults I can't see (or the faults I think I see but am hoping aren't that big a problem). That's why we get them. Sometimes some really big changes require a new set of eyes when I'm done again, but I've only needed betas after a post-beta revision once, I think.

Multiple betas will pick up on big problems, but most likely will not make the same types of line-by-line crits that you get in SYW. Enough practice will get you to figure out the more line-by-line stuff if that's what you're looking for in SYW and betas will pick up on bigger stuff (and more practice will also help you there).

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Connecticut and New Jersey
Old 05-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #14077
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

justbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to behold
You've only needed post-beta betas ONCE? I feel like a doofus now, lol!

I definitely need more practice!
WIP#1: 52,313/50,000

The Last Three Words: Evernight Teen | Amazon

Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #14078
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
I send it off to betas after a self edit about once.

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson

Last edited by Smiley0501; 05-28-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #14079
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

justbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, at this point I doubt I will ever get to the querying stage!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #14080
Smiley0501

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Aww, bishop, you can do it

Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #14081
JKRowley
practical experience, FTW

JKRowley is on a distinguished road
Keep going and you will get there, but don't skip a step. I am always tempted to do that, and then I regret it.

The writing is the best part. It is the most important part.

Twitter - @MoonOverMadison
Blog - http://jillysbookblog.blogspot.com
Old 05-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #14082
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

Thanks guys

And yeah, I'm so tempted to just start sending the thing off (I'm actually pretty happy w/the first 2 chapters now), but am so scared of the exact situation that Smiley mentioned!

Anywho, what is everyone doing today? It's Memorial day her in the US, of course. We are planning to hit our local zoo for a little bit this morning, and grill some burgers for dinner with the locally raised beef we bought at the farmers' market. Yummy!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #14083
Sage
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I edit it quite a lot before betas see it. I've gotten better at picking out some of the bigger problems and actually dealing with them (instead of hoping it's not a problem, then having betas tell me it's a problem, then sometimes hoping it still not really a problem--haha, yeah, I remember those days). And I do at least one grammar/tightening pass before betas see it.

But I know that there will always be problems that betas will see and I won't. Clearly because I don't have an agent, there are still problems with my novels (market, execution, or querying problems, who knows? Probably depends on the book ). At some point it doesn't make sense to continue tweaking things before betas see it. Endlessly working on a scene before betas when it might be cut or rewritten after betas say it's not working doesn't make sense, for example.

Sometimes I get a pair of eyes for a scene I've changed post-betas. But if betas are happy with most of the book and you've really worked hard to deal with the things they picked up on, there's no reason to continue sending out to betas. They'll always find something. As will your agent and your editor

Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #14084
Smiley0501

Well, Bishop, I ended up (just as I was about to quit querying) with an R+R that highlighted everything I'd been told/thinking to revise with some suggestions. So you never know how querying might work out. But I do enforce going through with some beta readers at least once or twice before querying.

Sage, you are a master. I bow down to your awesomeness of knowing when to give your stuff to a beta reader, how much self editing you yourself need to do, etc.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #14085
Sage
AW Moderator

LOL, that of course assumes I'm right

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #14086
Smiley0501

Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #14087
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

So how many betas do you guys send to at the same time?

And y'all feel free to call me jb, or just by my real name, Ashley

Old 05-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #14088
Smiley0501

I usually send to one at a time. So let's say I give my ms to Beta A. Beta A reads it and gives me notes. I go and fix those changes, and then send off to Beta B who reads it and gives me notes. I then incorporate those suggestions into my ms.

And Ashley.

I got to 48,000 words! I am so excited to say I actually think I might be able to get this whole revisions thing done by July!!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #14089
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley0501 View Post
I usually send to one at a time. So let's say I give my ms to Beta A. Beta A reads it and gives me notes. I go and fix those changes, and then send off to Beta B who reads it and gives me notes. I then incorporate those suggestions into my ms.

And Ashley.

I got to 48,000 words! I am so excited to say I actually think I might be able to get this whole revisions thing done by July!!
Ah, good to know about the "one at a time" policy. Is this just writer's preference, or a general rule of thumb? I actually have my WIP sent out to 2 people at the moment. Figured that would sort out the major issues, if more than one person mentioned the same thing.

And yay for 48k words! That is awesome!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #14090
JKRowley

Yay Smiley!

I use a critique group, which is seven people reading my work, piece by piece. One or two will read the entire manuscript when it is polished up and ready to go. I'd send it to as many as are willing to read it. I like opinions (and I am not afraid of criticism).

No big plans for our Memorial Day weekend. My brother invited us to a cookout. He lives 2.5 hours away, which is not that far for a day trip, but I am lazy. Instead I sat around and read all afternoon with my teen. We had a wicked storm, which is fun. Lost power for an hour or so.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #14091
Smiley0501

JB- for me, it was a personal choice. I can't handle more than one advice at the same time; I get too bombarded. I think it's different for every writer.

Jill- What book are you reading?

And yeah we had a quite Mem Day weekend too; we just went to our beach house and we actually had decent weather so we could hang out *on* the beach. I did some reading, too. (The Stephanie Plum book #1 by Janet Evan0ich).

Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #14092
Sage
AW Moderator

I usually get 4-8. Right now TM has 3.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #14093
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

Looks like I'm on the right track as far as betas, then. Thanks guys

And Smiley, the beach sounds amazing!

ETA: Another beta question...do you do revisions and then have the same betas reread? For some reason, I just feel as if that would taint the reading experience, and render them as useless as I am at this point, because I've read the damned thing so many times over.

Last edited by justbishop; 05-29-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #14094
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

Double posting, but must complain...why oh why does the motivation to get writing on my next story have to hit on a day where I have to clean bathrooms, fold 4 loads of laundry, grocery shop, sweep floors, and go to knitting group later?! My Daughter should give me a bit of quiet time later when she naps, but the muse will likely have flown the coop by then. Grrrr!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #14095
JKRowley

Anything is better than housework. Maybe you can write down a great paragraph or two in between tasks.

I am reading three novels right now. C@therine T#e Gr3@t, Z0mbie T@g and 5O Sh@des of youknowwhat.

I am only enjoying one of them, but feel committed to finish reading the others.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #14096
Sage
AW Moderator

I hope ZT's the one you're enjoying.

I feel very disinclined towards doing housework right now. I cleaned my room and the entire downstairs in the last week because we have company coming on Thursday.

Guess which parts of the house the cats threw up all over.

Plus it's a million degrees. Hard to care about housework when your house is sitting at 93.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #14097
Smiley0501

blech...cat throw up.

Also exciting news!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #14098
Stiger05

Stiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admiration
Yay, Smiley!! Woo hooo!!! Here's hoping the agent loves it!

@justbishop: to answer your question re: betas and revisions, I don't know what others do, but I have fresh betas for each round of revisions. For the ms I've been querying, I had two betas for the first draft, two different ones for the second, and one for the third. I think someone who reads multiple drafts would fall into critique partner territory, but I don't really have a true CP so I don't know.

Writing some stuff, editing some stuff, you know, the same old same old.

My blog
Twitter

Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #14099
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I hope ZT's the one you're enjoying.

I feel very disinclined towards doing housework right now. I cleaned my room and the entire downstairs in the last week because we have company coming on Thursday.

Guess which parts of the house the cats threw up all over.

Plus it's a million degrees. Hard to care about housework when your house is sitting at 93.
Ugh, that's hot (and not in the Paris Hilton way, lol). I'm sorry.

And why do animals always do that? We have laminate wood floors covered by a few area rugs, and when the dog needs to upchuck, he always makes a beeline for one of the rugs. I swear, he would probably navigate the entire house (passing over several other rugs) to make it to a freshly vacuumed one, too.

But yeah. All I've done so far is clean a toilet (though the other one is broken and I'm kind of on a cleaning strike in there until my Husband fixes it), wash dishes, and take myself and my Daughter (I'll just call her C from now on) out to Chick-Fil-A for lunch. I meant to go grocery shopping while we were out, but it started pouring rain so I just came home and put her down for nap. Not looking forward to having to go out and attempt it again.

Oh, and did anyone ever tell me why you guys use symbols in place of letters for titles and authors? I asked a while back, but might have missed it.

Quote:
blech...cat throw up.

Also exciting news!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiger05 View Post
Yay, Smiley!! Woo hooo!!! Here's hoping the agent loves it!

@justbishop: to answer your question re: betas and revisions, I don't know what others do, but I have fresh betas for each round of revisions. For the ms I've been querying, I had two betas for the first draft, two different ones for the second, and one for the third. I think someone who reads multiple drafts would fall into critique partner territory, but I don't really have a true CP so I don't know.
Well that whole setup makes sense. I will have to see if I can structure this beta system a bit better next time, lol!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #14100
pixydust
Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous

pixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
blech...cat throw up.

Also exciting news!!!

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!

Agent currently Subbing: GOLDEN 110,0000 ~ Aryana's survived five years longer than a normal half-blood, buying time by working as an assassin. But with her magic awake, now time’s up.
Writing: DARKNESS BRUTAL, DARKNESS FAIR 32,000/80,000 (YA; TV's Supernatural meets Dickens' Oliver Twist)

Closed Thread