Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #13426
allisonrussell
I object

allisonrussell is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by parumpdragon View Post
I've never read the books. I looked up the premise on Wiki and that was enough for me. I generally don't read those kind of books.

Hi
Ahhh, gottcha. I looked it up on Wiki and thought, "This is right up my alley!" Different strokes for different folks.

http://allisonsrussell.blogspot.com

Twitter: @allisonsrussell
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #13427
5398cane
Benefactor Member

5398cane is on a distinguished road
Why is it that at times you stare at a blank page hoping to add anything, and others you look up a couple of pages (or more) later and try to remember where that came from ?

Dear God, please take Justin Bieber back and give us Johnny Cash.

steelcamel74
Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #13428
yellowhammer
practical experience, FTW

yellowhammer is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrussell View Post
Ahhh, gottcha. I looked it up on Wiki and thought, "This is right up my alley!" Different strokes for different folks.
Me too, Allison. I was very much like, "This sounds awesome!" And, it didn't let me down.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #13429
5398cane
Benefactor Member

5398cane is on a distinguished road
Have y'all read Divergent ? Enclave ? Gone series ?

If you liked the hunger games you may like these.

Dear God, please take Justin Bieber back and give us Johnny Cash.

steelcamel74
Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #13430
E. S. Lark
Editing all the time

E. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthood
Divergent was actually written by an old member of this thread. I remember when the offers came in. Man, that was exciting. I believe Sage would remember it as well.

Alpha's Heart:
on submission

Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #13431
allisonrussell
I object

I loved Divergent!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #13432
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep, I adore Divergent, and I definitely remember when Veronica Roth was a member

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Connecticut and New Jersey
Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #13433
amlptj
Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!

amlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just curious because I've noticed the trend. When people who were originally on here get big, why do most of them stop coming on? Are they not allowed too? I've never actually met any of these people, but i always hear about it, like "OH that person was a member of AW" or "that person was a TWFTie," or something like that...

Probably a stupid question, but i'm curious.
WiP Editing first book FREAKs

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller
Rewrite -1/2 done On Hold

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Legend of a Freak (Blog!)
Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #13434
Sage
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
AW is very public, and it is really easy to say really stupid things among the multitudes of threads you can get lost in. A lot of these people were TWFT/OPWFT/RM posters, and there's a lot of crazy stuff in those threads. I know *some* AWers have moved on because of that, for sure. I don't know if most or all of them did so because of that.

I think people also just get busy and you have to limit your time online to certain spots. Their time on AW may just dwindle to nothing and then it's gone.

I think there are some that decide that they can "move on." They've learned all they think they can from AW, now they're published, time to move on.

There are several big names that still are publishing and still contribute their time to AW. Some of the mods come immediately to mind.

But I think in some ways if you make it big like Veronica did, it gets harder to be in the same place where you want to socialize in the TWFT thread, maybe, but people may be joining it and find you and go, "OMG, I LOVE YOUR BOOK! I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN!" I can see that being uncomfortable. (I'm reminded of being on the official Serenity (movie) forums way back when, and, when Adam Baldwin posted, he wanted to talk politics, and he'd say thanks to squeeing over his presence, but he'd expect to move on after that and talk about current events).

There may also be pressure from publishers or agents to limit their time in public forums like this.

It's going to depend on the person.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #13435
amlptj

amlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you, I've always wondered and i think all your points make sense!

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #13436
Dorothy
practical experience, FTW

Dorothy is a glorious beacon of lightDorothy is a glorious beacon of lightDorothy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by parumpdragon View Post
I've never read the books. I looked up the premise on Wiki and that was enough for me. I generally don't read those kind of books.

Hi
When I first looked up the premise, I also thought, "What? No way. Why would I want to read that?" - But then, with all the raving that was going on about it (the first book), I gave in. And I loved it. Then bought the subsequent books when they came out.

You never know, is my point, I guess.

Also, I totally support YA books to film. We need more of that "acceptance" for the future of our products!

MY SISTER'S REAPER (YA Urban Fantasy) out now from Month9Books
MY TETHERED SOUL releasing August 19, 2014.

Follow me on Twitter
Come like my fanpage

Check out my blog: We Do Write
Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #13437
Sage
AW Moderator

Hmm, I know I had 16 beta reads for LS (at least two were from the same person, though). 8 were before the major overhaul and 8 were after.

For some reason, even though I save everything, I cannot find 6 of them. 2 people I can't find definitely read it, so that leaves me with 4 people to figure out. I don't want to leave people off the acknowledgements.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #13438
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I only got to give you feedback on your synop for the superhero book, but I loved it just the same

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #13439
Sage
AW Moderator

Someday, maybe. I'm still querying H/V. In April, though, I'll probably slow down even more with it and focus on IaPT queries. I decided April was when it was safe to query Christmas novels again

Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #13440
Sage
AW Moderator

All right, time to work on TM.

BTW, the scene I wrote in the notebook ended up being awesome, but unfortunately, I'm a few chapters away from it.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #13441
parumpdragon
SciFi fun

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
anybody here?

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #13442
Sage
AW Moderator

Yes

Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #13443
parumpdragon
SciFi fun

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Morning!

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #13444
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputation
good morning!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #13445
allisonrussell
I object

People have gone insane in Kentucky, by the way. Something about a basketball game.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #13446
Sage
AW Moderator

lalala, I've written 4K in TM so far today and sent off my acknowledgements and dedication for LS off to my editor. That pretty much finishes off my end of LS, afaik.

Shit is hitting the fan in TM. I kinda want to stay in this cafe all day and continue, but at some point, I'll have to leave

Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #13447
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
lalala, I've written 4K in TM so far today and sent off my acknowledgements and dedication for LS off to my editor. That pretty much finishes off my end of LS, afaik.

Shit is hitting the fan in TM. I kinda want to stay in this cafe all day and continue, but at some point, I'll have to leave
That's the best part! I love when everything just falls apart for the protag.

After epic revisions, I started querying the current MS this week. I'm giving myself a week, then back into the writing cave for the next project.

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #13448
Sage
AW Moderator

Ooh, good luck on your queries

Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #13449
pixydust
Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous

pixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolness
Hey all!!! Sounds like things are moving and grooving...

Agent currently Subbing: GOLDEN 110,0000 ~ Aryana's survived five years longer than a normal half-blood, buying time by working as an assassin. But with her magic awake, now time’s up.
Writing: DARKNESS BRUTAL, DARKNESS FAIR 32,000/80,000 (YA; TV's Supernatural meets Dickens' Oliver Twist)

Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #13450
amlptj

hello everyone!

I haven't been able to write my WIP in like two weeks....

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Closed Thread