Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #13001
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightnovelist View Post
Waiting is the absolute worst! I'm querying right now, and I haven't slept through the night in over two weeks. I wake up at least once an hour with an overwhelming need to check my email. Hopefully that's not happening to you!
The worst is when you have dreams of acceptance or rejection. Or my favorite was when an agent I adore called me to ask something about one of my novels, but I couldn't understand what she was saying.

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #13002
E. S. Lark
Editing all the time

E. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthood
*pokes her head in*

Wow....I think the last time I was here was something like 5-6 months ago. Hi all. This is Kyva, or at least I used to be. I thought this thread died ages ago. No one was ever on. Nice to see it's still going.

Best of luck on your edits, Sage.

Kuwi, I didn't know you were here. Hi!

And of course, a kind hello to everyone else. P. dragon, good luck on the agent hunt.

edit: Oop, looks like I need to disappear. Hubby wants to head out. Have a good day everyone.

F/F shifter serial:
21,000 / 45,000 words

Protect and Serve: 4,621 / ???

Last edited by E. S. Lark; 02-26-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #13003
inspiredbymusic
practical experience, FTW

inspiredbymusic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightnovelist View Post
Waiting is the absolute worst! I'm querying right now, and I haven't slept through the night in over two weeks. I wake up at least once an hour with an overwhelming need to check my email. Hopefully that's not happening to you!
Hi everyone! This is my first post in this thread.

I recently had a dream in which I went to meet with an agent in his NY office. I waited there for hours and hours while all sorts of horribly disorganized nonsense went on. People came and went with various piles of papers. I was shifted from room to room. No one could find my submission. I was told that the agent wanted to represent me even though he only has a partial. Then I was panicked wondering if I should sign with such a disorganized mess when I haven't really even started submitting yet.
I was glad (though slightly disappointed) to wake up from that dream!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #13004
parumpdragon
Just chick n it

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
The worst is when you have dreams of acceptance or rejection. Or my favorite was when an agent I adore called me to ask something about one of my novels, but I couldn't understand what she was saying.
Yeah - this was last week's dream session. Now I think I've gone numb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. S. Lark View Post
*pokes her head in*

Wow....I think the last time I was here was something like 5-6 months ago.
And of course, a kind hello to everyone else. P. dragon, good luck on the agent hunt.
You were here about a month ago, or so. You popped in around midnight while I was asleep

And thanks for the best wishes. I just want a response. The time waiting is getting to me *sighs*

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #13005
E. S. Lark
Editing all the time

E. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthood
Thanks, P. Dragon. I don't remember much at all these days. I got a contract for an erotica piece, so I've been a tad busy.

F/F shifter serial:
21,000 / 45,000 words

Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 AM   #13006
Sage
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats, kyva!

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 02-27-2012, 04:10 AM   #13007
kuwisdelu
we are the words 'i love you'

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It sounds like everyone in here does a lot of waiting. I feel left out. I have nothing to wait for...

Quote:
Kuwi, I didn't know you were here. Hi!
I wasn't until a few days ago. I still don't quite fit in yet, I think...
Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #13008
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello,peeps.

I have a full out right now and am resisting the crazed urge to peer at my email. I feel like my lil novel that could went from being in the backyard outhouse wearing horrid fashion to being right at the door in Dolce&Gabbana. I am pleased as punch,lol.

Of course,I have completely forgotten all the relentless editing and midnight bitch fits where I alternated between weeping uncontrollably and rolling on the floor.

We writers get MIGHTY uppity when a novel is polished like new rims,don't we?

To distract myself,I am now querying a vampire horror novel. Obviously,I have no sense to be doing so in a market that is quite tired of vamps but hey,it's fun being a lunatic.

I wish you all good luck!

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #13009
E. S. Lark
Editing all the time

Thank you for the grats, Sage. How are things going with Hero/Villain? Or your other projects (sorry, my brain is flaky right now)?

F/F shifter serial:
21,000 / 45,000 words

Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #13010
Sage
AW Moderator

H/V is getting interesting responses. For my last two query rejects, I was told that the agent had a current client writing a similar novel.

IaPT (MG) is waiting for a later month before I start querying again. Like April. Getting a little distance from Christmas might be better. Or worse. We'll see

LS is due to come out in April.

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #13011
Dorothy

Dorothy is a glorious beacon of lightDorothy is a glorious beacon of lightDorothy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Thanks, P. Dragon. I don't remember much at all these days. I got a contract for an erotica piece, so I've been a tad busy.
Congrats! That's awesome!

MY SISTER'S REAPER (YA Urban Fantasy) out now from Month9Books
MY TETHERED SOUL releasing June 10, 2014.

Follow me on Twitter
Come like my fanpage

Check out my blog: We Do Write
Old 02-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #13012
J.S.F.

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Glad everyone is doing well. I wish I could get an agent. Writing is the fun part and believe it or not, so are the revisions but getting an agent has proved a bust so far. I'll keep submitting, and I'm still into the e-novel thing so there is that.

Death Bytes is out! Go to DivineDestinies.com/Amazon.com.

Get ready for Master Fantastic.
---
You're not anyone at AW until you've received your banned certificate from Andre.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #13013
parumpdragon
Just chick n it

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't really care for editing, and sometimes I have no idea why I keep submitting to agents at all.

Giving it all one more try I suppose.

Hope you get an agent soon.

Goodreads

Old 02-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #13014
Sage
AW Moderator

I keep wanting to skip ahead and bring in the 2nd LI for my MC, but it's not time for her yet.

She has the better potential songs for the soundtrack, lol. This is probably my problem, tbh.

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #13015
parumpdragon
Just chick n it

I keep wanting to send a polite email to the agent just to make sure she recieved the MS in the first place - and that it didn't just vanish in the interwebs.

Goodreads

Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #13016
Sage
AW Moderator

Do you have reason to believe it did? Like e-mail problems? If not, I say wait three months

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #13017
parumpdragon
Just chick n it

It said 5-8 weeks for response to a Full [here and on her website], so I was going to wait the 8 weeks and then if I still hadn't heard anything - just make sure the MS made it there.

This is week 7 by the way.

I usually have my rejection in hand by now, even in response to a full. So now I'm worried the sub didn't actually go through. :/

Goodreads

Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #13018
Sage
AW Moderator

I've had fulls last over a year. No matter what the agent (QT, BR&BC) says, mine almost always take longer than the estimated time. Unless, the agent specifically says to feel free to nudge her if she doesn't get back in the shorter time, I wait the 3 months. It's probably not a problem to do it at 8 weeks, and I understand how 2 months is an eternity when waiting on a full, but 3 months is standard and doesn't risk any appearance of impatience.

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #13019
parumpdragon
Just chick n it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I've had fulls last over a year. No matter what the agent (QT, BR&BC) says... I wait the 3 months. It's probably not a problem to do it at 8 weeks, and I understand how 2 months is an eternity when waiting on a full, but 3 months is standard and doesn't risk any appearance of impatience.
Thanks, and good to know.

Yeah, one does not want to appear pushy/impatient/demanding - all bad words

I don't care how long she takes with it. I just want to know that she got it.
*This is probably because she had replied so quickly to the query, and then the next day when I asked if ".rtf" was an acceptable format, she got back to me in 30 minutes [and it was 10pm her time]. So I think the nearly instant response of those two emails kind of spoiled me

She has been pretty busy lately according to her Twitter. That's outside of agenting/publishing stuff. Probably just hasn't gotten to it yet. :/

*sigh*

I want one of those little tracking systems like UPS has. One that says "you are here in the process, the agent has read this many pages"... boy wouldn't that be nice

Goodreads

Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #13020
yellowhammer

yellowhammer is well-respected
Gosh, I haven't been on here in forever--and it makes me SAD! Grad school has been a big ole' bag of "rough!" But, just wanted to stop by and say I hope all your pens are flowing and your ideas are bright.

Spring break in two weeks. But who's counting?! Maybe I can finally return to my draft after I crawl out from a pile of homework.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #13021
yellowhammer

yellowhammer is well-respected
Oh, and love your (new to me) avi, Parump!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #13022
parumpdragon
Just chick n it

Oh, thanks

Goodreads

Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #13023
E. S. Lark
Editing all the time

Sorry, I kind of fell off the face of the earth. I've been writing like mad to get this draft done.

Sage, I'm soooo happy LS found a home. Is it still YA, or did you change it again? I know you were thinking about it.

Hi, Dorothy!

Annnnnd now I'm back to writing. I promise to hang out more once I finish this draft. I m trying to plan a writing sprint every other month.

I wrote a 25k sci-fi in two days in January and am now working on an erotica shifter. I'm on day 3 and am sitting at about 33,000 words. Yes, I have no life during sprints.

F/F shifter serial:
21,000 / 45,000 words

Last edited by E. S. Lark; 03-01-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: wrong word count
Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #13024
parumpdragon
Just chick n it

Goodreads

Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #13025
parumpdragon
Just chick n it

It's quiet.

And now it's 7 or 8 weeks to the day since I subbed the MS. I'll have to check to see which it is...

Goodreads

Closed Thread