• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

John White Literary Agency

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
He has a $ at P&E, but I can't find out anything more about him. He asked for my full but charges a $200 reading fee. He also gave me Dan Brown's editor's email just in case I want to go it alone. He's known the guy for years and said I could tell him that White suggested I contact him.

Thanks.

_Richard

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
If he asked for a reading fee, then skip him. As others more experienced than I will tell you soon enough, agents make their money selling the work of their clients. Also, reading fees are non-standard and frowned on by all of the agent organizations that I know of.

Regardless of whether he has a $ at P&E, he's asked you for a reading fee and that is a sign to run IMO.

ETA: He has four sales listed on Publisher's Marketplace, but the most recent is from 2006 (the others are from 2004 and 2001). Not all agents list sales on PM, but the fact that he did at one point implies that he hasn't made any sales in the last five years. I'm assuming those earlier sales are what gave him the $ rating at P&E.

Last edited:

Nya RAyne

On the verge of greatness
Registered
Reaction score
In a house on a corner, next to this old lady and
He has a $ at P&E, but I can't find out anything more about him. He asked for my full but charges a $200 reading fee. He also gave me Dan Brown's editor's email just in case I want to go it alone. He's known the guy for years and said I could tell him that White suggested I contact him.

Thanks.

_Richard

Unless you're just in the giving spirit, skip this one quick.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com

Thanks.

_Richard

Reading fees are not allowed by the AAR, which sets the ethical standards for literary agents in the U.S.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: He has four sales listed on Publisher's Marketplace, but the most recent is from 2006 (the others are from 2004 and 2001).
Are any of them with major houses? Also, can you list them so I can check them out?

Thanks.

_Richard

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I'm not sure I can list them since the information is available only to paid Publisher's Marketplace members. One of them is major, though, and I recognize one of the others as, at least, a medium-size publisher.

But, to be frank, I think you should drop him.

If you're still considering him, I'd suggest asking him directly what his sales record is. This is something you should be able to do with your agent and, as people have said around here before, agents love to crow about their successes (and well they should). If he won't tell you what kinds of sales he's made and where, then that's another reason to be wary.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
I've taken everyone's advice and passed.

Thanks, guys. You saved me $200, which given my family's austere financial situation is large sum of money. Question, though. What would you do if he waved the fee and disclosed a decent list of titles sold to reputable publishers? He's a brother Mason, so it's not inconceivable that he might do that, I don't think.

_Richard

Last edited:

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Rich,

I'd ask him what his most recent sale was. If his last sale was 4-5 years ago, his contacts in the industry may not be helpful. If he has known Dan Brown's editor for years, why hasn't he bought something from John last year?

He may be a fine Mason and a good man with great intentions, but that doesn't mean he has the skills to sell your book.

I think you'd be better off querying an agent who has sold something to an advance paying publisher in your genre within the past year or so and/or one who has sold a book that you recognize and/or have read.

Good luck. -- Jamie

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I've taken everyone's advice and passed.

Thanks, guys. You saved me $200, which given my family's austere financial situation is large sum of money. Question, though. What would you do if he waved the fee and disclosed a decent list of titles sold to reputable publishers? He's a brother Mason, so it's not inconceivable that he might do that, I don't think.

_Richard

Delighted to hear you didn't pay this guy! To answer your hypothetical, though, if the list of sales was recent and verifiable and he waives the fee, then I think you have nothing to lose by letting him read. Doesn't commit you to anything.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
FYI - the only deal I could find of his on PM

Agency: John White Literary Agency
Most recent deal: August 3, 2006
Categories of these deals:
Non-fiction: Business/Investing/Finance (1)
< Top Dealmakers
[ help with RSS ]
View: Overall (1)
This agency's 1 deal since January, 2004:

Non-fiction:
Business/Investing/Finance
Executive Director of Mount Vernon James Rees, with Stephen Spignesi's GEORGE WASHINGTON'S LEADERSHIP LESSONS: What the Father of Our Country Can Teach Us About Effective Leadership and Character, how George Washington exemplified the 15 character traits of a strong leader, along with an annotated "Rules of Civility," and a comprehensive look at Washington as an entrepreneur, to Laurie Harting at Wiley, by John White Literary Agency.

Posted: August 3, 2006 at 2:52 p.m. Eastern

Last edited by a moderator:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Most recent sales have been ebook rights for clients' backlists.

ETA: most recent mentions of him are as "author and former agent".

Last edited: