Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Margarita Skies
Banned

Margarita Skies is a glorious beacon of lightMargarita Skies is a glorious beacon of light
Question Dropbox: Can't Establish a Safe Connection?

What's up, guys? Once again I am having a tech problem not necessarily related to the functioning of my computer, but with something I just can't get around. Yesterday I tried syncing 2 of my Dropbox files onto another computer in my house and after I installed the program, I got this message that said,

Dropbox can't establish a safe connection.

I didn't think nothing at first. I probably lost my internet connection to that particular computer because all em other four computers in the house were working fine on the same connection. So I restarted the computer. Got reconnected. Same problem. I have no idea what could be causing this. I couldn't sign in to my account because I had lost my password. I just changed it. Do you think that could've been the problem and not the internet connection itself? I know this is a stupid question but the motto of AW when it comes to that is "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask" so I go by that.

Think you could provide some insight?
Once again your help is much appreciated.
Magali.
Margarita Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is it saying "safe" or "secure"?

A basic rule of thumb with any problem, on or off the computer, is that someone else has probably already had the same trouble, and gone online looking for answers. Try an internet search for the specific phrase.

For example, a Google search brought me this possible answer, from Dropbox.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Margarita Skies
Banned

Margarita Skies is a glorious beacon of lightMargarita Skies is a glorious beacon of light
Just found the answer on the Dropbox website. Didn't think this was a common problem.

Thank...you...so...much.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Margarita Skies
Banned

Hey, guys.

How could this computer make me feel so illiterate, like I had never used a computer before? Turns out Dropbox couldn't establish a secure connection because this computer's date and time were wrong!! Yesterday when I started using it it was December 25 at around 5:30 PM and the date and time when I noticed it had the date of December 10, 2002 and the time was 7:58 AM! Mega There are two computers at my house besides mine and this one is one of them. My cousin is using mine and letting me use his, but he has his own Windows account. They are only old on the outside and brand new on the inside and it seems that a few weeks ago, when Windows XP Professional was installed on this thing, the one doing the work didn't think it was important to fix the date and time. This morning after reading Williebee's reply I reinstalled Dropbox, put my username and password in, and my files were instantly synced from my Windows 7 computer to this one.

Williebee, don't pay mind to my reaction to your reply. It's just that this computer was making me feel so dumb. Thanks for helping.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Magali.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mags - If that computer still has the wrong time, be sure to back any work you've done on it up to a jump drive or some other external drive. There's a good chance that, if you don't, somewhere in here Dropbox will overwrite whatever is there with whatever has the most recent date up in the Dropbox.

Correct time and date has become very important in today's connected world.

Also, is there a possibility that whoever set that machine up last set the date back in order to fool a software license -- like a trial version of something? IF so, if you fix the date and time on it, some piece of software on the machine may stop working.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Matera the Mad
And God said, "Let there be Linux!"

Matera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If the date was changed for that purpose...
http://www.nirsoft.net
Quote:
RunAsDate is a small utility that allows you to run a program in the date and time that you specify. This utility doesn't change the current system date and time of your computer, but it only injects the date/time that you specify into the desired application.
You can run multiple applications simultaneously, each application works with different date and time, while the real date/time of your system continues to run normally.
*reminds self to double-check the time on that nasty Dell that Dropbox refuses to behave on*
Old 12-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
Margarita Skies
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
Mags - If that computer still has the wrong time, be sure to back any work you've done on it up to a jump drive or some other external drive. There's a good chance that, if you don't, somewhere in here Dropbox will overwrite whatever is there with whatever has the most recent date up in the Dropbox.

Correct time and date has become very important in today's connected world.

Also, is there a possibility that whoever set that machine up last set the date back in order to fool a software license -- like a trial version of something? IF so, if you fix the date and time on it, some piece of software on the machine may stop working.

I fixed the date and time as soon as I noticed it was wrong on Saturday afternoon, and at the time I didn't know that, that was causing the problem. Then Sunday I installed Dropbox and synced my files, and I ran a software that Windows XP suggested to verify that the operating system was authentic, you know, no pirated software or anything, and it confirmed that my cousin's copy of WinXP was legitimate. Thank you so much for all your help.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
Margarita Skies
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matera the Mad View Post
If the date was changed for that purpose...
http://www.nirsoft.net
*reminds self to double-check the time on that nasty Dell that Dropbox refuses to behave on*

Thanks, and am I glad my thread helped you! I will go to that website if my computer's date and time all of a sudden turns incorrect one day. Sometimes that happens for no apparent reason.