Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Games
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #51
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, I can't imagine Oblivion, or any other first person game, on a console. Though I suppose pinpoint accuracy is less important than with a shooter.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #52
Kyla Laufreyson
My Protagonists Hate Me

Kyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admiration
Hey, I manage pinpoint accuracy on my console. And my sister hates me for it.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:31 AM   #53
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
I've played Oblivion on both the PC and console. It's a testament to skill that they both work so well despite the different controls.
In honestly though, I do prefer PC.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
--Laozi
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #54
Kyla Laufreyson
My Protagonists Hate Me

Kyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admiration
I've only done Oblivion for console, and I keep trying to convince myself to go play Morrowind on my PC. Isn't working so far. But they are both very good, yes.
I prefer console. I'm better with a controller than a keyboard and mouse.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #55
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's one reason why Elder Scrolls and Fallout games will always be best on the PC.

Wait, did I say one?

I meant 250,000

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 AM   #56
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
There's one reason why Elder Scrolls and Fallout games will always be best on the PC.

Wait, did I say one?

I meant 250,000
I don't know, some of those are pretty bad :P
--Laozi
Old 01-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #57
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, but if you take 250,000 of anything, you can find at the VERY LEAST, 100 really really good mods, and maybe 10 amazing ones.

10 amazing mods can extend the shelf life on an already great game by YEARS. Hell, there's Total Conversions for Oblivion that are whole new GAMES.

http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #58
Kyla Laufreyson
My Protagonists Hate Me

Yes, but if I don't enjoy the gameplay on a PC, those mods don't make a bit of difference to me.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:37 AM   #59
JohnnyGottaKeyboard
Who let this guy in...?

Location: On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter grew too loud...
JohnnyGottaKeyboard has earned our admirationJohnnyGottaKeyboard has earned our admirationJohnnyGottaKeyboard has earned our admirationJohnnyGottaKeyboard has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post

Wait, did I say one?

I meant 250,000
I nearly bought Oblivion for the PC just to play the nude mod, which I read about on the other site I'm addicted to. However, I play on my PS3 with an HDMI cable attached to my huge HDTV and some of the vistas in the game are gorgeous (Hero Hill I think it is--north of the Dark Fissure)--as well as some of the days when it is pouring rain... There's just some eerie beauty in this game that plays well on a large screen. That said, I admit the character models suck.
"[T]he homosexual cultural takeover is turning a society that was sexually sick to begin with into a pathological horror..." Playboy magazine is "the ultimate homosexual force in our society." -- Gene Marine, "Who's Afraid of Little Annie Fanny?" Ramparts 5 (February 1967)
You're Welcome!
JohnnyGottaKeyboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #60
LOG
Lagrangian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGottaKeyboard View Post
That said, I admit the character models suck.
There's a mod for that >.>

Edit: Speaking of mods and Oblivion, I'm thinking of giving Oblivion another playthrough. But it means learning the mods all over again. I spent 3 weeks successfully installing and running mods, and they were glorious. But I had to stop and take care of other things, it's been months now.
I can't imagine playing Oblivion again without mods, but re-learning and searching and installing and incorporating them all over again is a daunting task...
--Laozi

Last edited by LOG; 01-18-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #61
LOG
Lagrangian

So, in this article, they say that
Quote:
"Raising one skill from 34 to 35 is going to level you faster than raising one from 11 to 12,"
what does that mean?

Here's a techno behind-the scenes article.
Things are looking good from here.

Here's an IGN on what they want with that in mind. (Also, they spell Britain as Brittan /facepalm)
--Laozi
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 AM   #62
LOG
Lagrangian

According to my bookmark manager, I have 1093 mods bookmarked.
I don't know. I know I had a lot, but I didn't think I had that many...
--Laozi
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #63
JohnnyGottaKeyboard
Who let this guy in...?

JohnnyGottaKeyboard has earned our admirationJohnnyGottaKeyboard has earned our admirationJohnnyGottaKeyboard has earned our admirationJohnnyGottaKeyboard has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
According to my bookmark manager, I have 1093 mods bookmarked.
I don't know. I know I had a lot, but I didn't think I had that many...
They're like bunnies. Never put them in the same folder together!
"[T]he homosexual cultural takeover is turning a society that was sexually sick to begin with into a pathological horror..." Playboy magazine is "the ultimate homosexual force in our society." -- Gene Marine, "Who's Afraid of Little Annie Fanny?" Ramparts 5 (February 1967)
You're Welcome!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #64
LOG
Lagrangian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGottaKeyboard View Post
They're like bunnies. Never put them in the same folder together!
Actually I split them all up into 55 separate sub-folders, who knows the horrors that could be wrought if they were all in one folder...
--Laozi
Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #65
LOG
Lagrangian

This was funny
--Laozi
Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 AM   #66
JohnnyGottaKeyboard
Who let this guy in...?

Quote:
Aw hell that was funny! Especially the bowl part. That happened to me so many times! Where was the third option??? "I'll just put the bowl back and we'll pretend this was an accident... Which it was! Why would I want a bowl?" There should have been a third option.

Drinking the potions was pretty good too.
You're Welcome!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #67
LOG
Lagrangian

Mod tools are confirmed.
Not sure they were ever in doubt.
--Laozi
Old 01-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #68
Fulk
Occasional Contributer

Fulk has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Mod tools are confirmed.
Not sure they were ever in doubt.
It'd be business suicide for them to not include tools. I think TES is the standard example of a flourishing and well-supported mod community amongst gamers.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #69
LOG
Lagrangian

Here was an interesting article.
The author of it wants a return to Morrowind elements in Skyrim, and he cites Oblivion as a failure in several respect.
I find it difficult to accept the opinion of someone who wasn't even able to really work his way through the majority of the Oblivion content, not that's he necessarily wrong, but it devalues how good his perception of Oblivion's mechanics is.
That said, he does still raise some valid points, such as how faces in oblivion were incredibly ugly...
--Laozi
Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #70
LOG
Lagrangian

More harping on Oblivion v Skyrim, this one's hopeful.

Quote:
Dragons are the nuclear weapons of fantasy games.
I always thought it was phoenixes...
--Laozi
Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #71
LOG
Lagrangian

1 hour until Bethesda releases some gameplay footage.
--Laozi
Old 02-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #72
LOG
Lagrangian

Footage is here.
--Laozi
Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #73
Anninyn
Stealing your twiglets.

Anninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAnninyn is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I'm so excited I may combust between now and november.

In other news, this video is almost exactly how I reacted to the news. Except I'm a girl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY
Anninyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #74
efkelley
ow

efkelley is a glorious beacon of lightefkelley is a glorious beacon of light
My first thought: Someone made a cartoon of LOG!

Awesome stuff.
The Obligatory Facebook Link
efkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #75
Ludicrum
practical experience, FTW

Ludicrum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anninyn View Post
I'm so excited I may combust between now and november.

In other news, this video is almost exactly how I reacted to the news. Except I'm a girl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY
That was uncomfortably close to my reaction to the trailer. My life is now divided into two sections of time: waiting for Skyrim (here now), and playing Skyrim (OMFG I can't wait!).
Ludicrum is offline   Reply With Quote