Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Maxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Talking UK: Lord's plan for more idiocy in Britain is refreshing

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ew-nanny-state
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Young
"Frankly, if I want to do something stupid and break my leg or neck, that's up to me. I don't need a council to tell me not to be an idiot. I can be an idiot all by myself."
Refreshing views from a plan that "sets out to curb the nanny state" as it pertains to local authorities inclinations to ban everything from pancake parties to cheese rolling events.
The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Barnes
"Yes, of course we were pretentious — what else is youth for?"
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Maxinquaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I can be an idiot all by myself."
Now there's a man after my own heart

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds good to me. So long as there is some kind of "You were an idiot, you don't get to sue anybody." clause.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Vince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Speaking on behalf of idiots everyway, it's about time. BTW, cheese rolling contest?

Vince524 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So, basically the government is stepping in to stop the government from doing government thingys. Sounds good to me.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Maxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
So, basically the government is stepping in to stop the government from doing government thingys. Sounds good to me.
Exactly.
Quote:
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince524 View Post
Speaking on behalf of idiots everyway, it's about time. BTW, cheese rolling contest?
Cheese rolling contest.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Dangerous stuff, cheese.

ETA: I watched that clip. I'm not sure that Lord actually NEEDS to champion the cause of idiots in Britain, having seen it.
Quote:
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything

Last edited by Maxinquaye; 10-02-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This sounds like a great idea, as far as getting the nannys out of people's lives. I'd like to see this catch on over here on the west side of the pond.

But I've got a question about these councils. How are they funded? Do they get taxpayer dollars? Because if that's the case, then the people who do the stupid stuff don't have to pay the fines. They just take some of the money some taxpayers gave them, and hand it off to other taxpayers. Shouldn't it be the individuals who make the decisions who are at risk for loss instead of the taxpayers?

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The size of the human brain has been shrinking for fifty thousand years, finally resulting in the ultimate expression of our reduced mental powers: cheese rolling.
Julie Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
This sounds like a great idea, as far as getting the nannys out of people's lives.
I dunno. I could do with a bit of fussin over. bit of nannying. maybe a hug.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote