Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > International District
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #26
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have relatives in England. Mum's side of the family. They mostly live in Hereford and Derby. My brother is currently over there living about an hour away from Hereford, though I can't remember the town name...

Anyone been to these sleepy little places?
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #27
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmenthal View Post
I'm in Brum, what's EasterCon?
Eastercon is the UK's largest SF/F convention with a load of published authors and publishing pros attending.
http://www.illustrious.org.uk/
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #28
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post

I live in one (a sleepy little place that is.)

Quote:
Eastercon is the UK's largest SF/F convention with a load of published authors and publishing pros attending.
http://www.illustrious.org.uk/
And well worth going to. Just be careful of the alcohol content....

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Last edited by Mr Flibble; 09-11-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #29
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxinquaye View Post
Now I feel guilty for slagging Slough - who apparently have good curry.
and friendly bombs.

Quote:
I have relatives in England. Mum's side of the family. They mostly live in Hereford and Derby.

Derby's not sleepy. It's a quite big, grim "are you looking at my pint, you big southern jessie?" sort of place. Great countryside, though. I've not been to Hereford, though it does sound sleepy. It's home to a very small football club where, according to legend, the SAS (based "somewhere near Wales") once turned up in the home end in order to give the visiting Wolverhampton fans an etiquette lesson.
Priene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #30
Starry eyed
practical experience, FTW

Starry eyed is on a distinguished road
I am also in the UK, from Essex although some people call the area I live greater London

DD, For you I would have waited a thousand years.

Polly's war, completed.
Bluebird, completed.
Flashback-origin of souls, completed.
The Firm, completed.
Flashback-Entwined, WIP.
Butterfly, WIP
Starry eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #31
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Maxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
I live in one (a sleepy little place that is.)

And well worth going to. Just be careful of the alcohol content....
This does not compute.
The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Barnes
"Yes, of course we were pretentious — what else is youth for?"
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Maxinquaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #32
Blue Istari
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Blue Istari is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
Never mind.
Come to EasterCon in Birmingham next year, it'll be a better con, and sign up for the writing workshop
Tempting, very tempting! Will have to see how the money situation is in a few months (it's got to be better than it is now, at any rate).

Quote:
Derby's not sleepy. It's a quite big, grim "are you looking at my pint, you big southern jessie?" sort of place.
Hah! Best description of Derby I've ever read!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:55 AM   #33
Mr Flibble

Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
This does not compute.

Put it like this. When confronted with cider that is twice the strength of the stuff you usually drink, you should consider that you'll get rat-arsed substantially quicker. At least I provided some amusement...

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Old 09-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #34
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
At least I provided some amusement...
I'll vouch for that
Old 09-12-2010, 04:41 AM   #35
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Maxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Put it like this. When confronted with cider that is twice the strength of the stuff you usually drink, you should consider that you'll get rat-arsed substantially quicker. At least I provided some amusement...
Isn't that like the whole point?

But I jest. I don't actually like to get rat-arsed.

I'm a bad viking, I know. I blame that on my french genes.
Quote:
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Old 09-12-2010, 06:40 AM   #36
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Actually, I've only been to Hereford - never made it to Derby. My grandad always describes Derby as "the small little town where I grew up." Of course, that was before WW2, so... I guess it's expanded?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:52 AM   #37
Mr Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
I'll vouch for that
It was a vouchworthy evening? I told Dave he was cute and cuddly, and that's true...Other occurrences may have..occured.

Quote:
Isn't that like the whole point?

But I jest. I don't actually like to get rat-arsed.

I'm a bad viking, I know. I blame that on my french genes.
YOU'RE FRENCH!!!!!!!

Twitter

Last edited by Mr Flibble; 09-12-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: I should spell and stuff
Old 09-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #38
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Quote:
It was a vouchworthy evening? I told Dave he was cute and cuddly, and that's true...Other occurrences may have..occured.

YOU'RE FRENCH!!!!!!!
Oui, mon grand-père est né à Nantes.

I would have thought my last name was decidedly un-viking.
Quote:
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Old 09-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #39
Mr Flibble

Quote:

I would have thought my last name was decidedly un-viking.
You have a last name? Mainquaye isn't enough?

Twitter
Old 09-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #40
Cliff Face

My grandad barracks for Derby County FC, but they always seem to lose.

If you ever attend a game where Derby is playing, please, by all means, yell out to the players, "You're disappointing an old man in Australia!!!" They'll be so confused, they'll give away a penalty to the team you're actually there to see play.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #41
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
My grandad barracks for Derby County FC, but they always seem to lose.

If you ever attend a game where Derby is playing, please, by all means, yell out to the players, "You're disappointing an old man in Australia!!!" They'll be so confused, they'll give away a penalty to the team you're actually there to see play.
I believe Sheepshaggers is the correct form of abuse for Derby fans. Or bleating come on Derby, maaaaaaaaaa in your best sheep voice.

I don't know whether it's true that they walk a ram around their pitch before kick-off, but I like to think so.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #42
jlasserton
New kid, be gentle!

jlasserton is on a distinguished road
HI! I'm not from the UK. But I'm hoping to travel there in the next couple of months. I will be staying in London mostly. Could anyone recommend some "must-sees" aside from the well-known ones?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #43
Cliff Face

Must see: the bottom of a pint of Guinness.

Where's Stonehenge in relation to London? When I went to England at 12 years old, I missed out on seeing Stonehenge by insisting we went to the Lego factory instead. Yeah. Culture. I has it.

But if I ever make it back to England, Stonehenge is on my list.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #44
Priene
Out to lunch

Stonehenge is a Grade A disappointment. It's spoiled by noise, near a main road, has a shitty gift shop and a grim tunnel to access the site (which is roped off, so don't go expecting to actually touch a stone or anything).
Old 09-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #45
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlasserton View Post
HI! I'm not from the UK. But I'm hoping to travel there in the next couple of months. I will be staying in London mostly. Could anyone recommend some "must-sees" aside from the well-known ones?
London is a HUGE city, it will all depend on when you're arriving and what you're looking to do. You can do touristy things for a week and still not have done half of it.

Quote:
Must see: the bottom of a pint of Guinness.

Where's Stonehenge in relation to London? When I went to England at 12 years old, I missed out on seeing Stonehenge by insisting we went to the Lego factory instead. Yeah. Culture. I has it.

But if I ever make it back to England, Stonehenge is on my list.
What? Go to England and drink Irish beer? Newcastle Brown Ale should be a suitable substitute, I suppose.

Like was said before, Stonehenge is a great disappointment.
Quote:
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Old 09-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #46
Cliff Face

Hmm. I'd heard that Stonehenge was roped off. But I'd still like to see it, just like I'd like to see the pyramids and the sphinx. It's all pretty much boring - I mean, you just stand there, look at something, then go on your way. But still... it'd be something to do if I ever had too much cash I didn't know what to do with (yeah, like that'll ever happen...).

Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #47
Starry eyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlasserton View Post
Covent garden and south bank are quite good they are usually full of street entertainers. You could also go see a football match if you like football, and even if you dont it can be quite an experience.

Have fun.

Polly's war, completed.
Bluebird, completed.
The Firm, completed.
Flashback-Entwined, WIP.
Butterfly, WIP
Old 09-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #48
Paranormal_Writer
Nearly always write!

Paranormal_Writer is on a distinguished road
Wow didn't realise there were so many folks here from the UK! I'm in Devon (and it's raining!) x
Paranormal_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #49
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

Stonehenge is about 60 miles SW of London and requires a train ride followed by a bus ride to get there.
If you're staying any length of time in London go to this site http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ and sort out a visitor's travel pass. Paying for tube/bus rides one at a time is expensive.
The museums are good. Hampton Court Palace is on the edge of London and well worth a visit.
There's plenty of good beer brewed in London (e.g. Fullers) that you don't have to drink that northern filth
Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #50
Starry eyed

I think that stonehenge is a lot further than 60 miles from London, I could be wrong though.

Polly's war, completed.
Bluebird, completed.
The Firm, completed.
Flashback-Entwined, WIP.
Butterfly, WIP