Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cut off sentences in quotes

I was just wondering what the proper way of writing someone's dialogue is when they are being cut off in speech. Do you use a quotation at the end or just leave it hanging with the dash?

Ex.

"Stop it! What the hell are you--"
"Stop moving, damn it. You're going to rip it."

Or is it,

"Stop it! What the hell are you--
"Stop moving, damn it. Your going to rip it."

Okay, for some reason the dashes are not showing up here as one longer dash the way they do in my MS, but you get my drift. What is the proper way of doing this? When I put the end quote on one of my sentences where there's speech being cut off, the quote comes up backwards. Am I making sense? Do you kwim? Thanks for your help.

Mel

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
mellymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
Ryan_Sullivan
Agented YA Writer

Ryan_Sullivan is a shiny, shiny jewelRyan_Sullivan is a shiny, shiny jewel
The first, but it could get a little confusing. It might be nice to have something between the quotations.

"Stop it! What the hell are you--" He was cut off by (blah blah blah). "Stop moving, damn it. Your going to rip it."

Writer, grad student and optimist, rep'd by Steve Malk.
*Thanks everyone for the rep points/comments--I appreciate them!
Ryan_Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
Soccer Mom
Crypto-fascist
SuperModerator

Soccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Use the first. Em dashes still require you to close your quotation marks. You're having issues because you have smart quotes turned on (makes the curly quotation marks). Change it to straight quotes and you won't have to worry about what direction they face.

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Im disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti
Soccer Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
Jill Karg
So many WIPs which one to work on

Jill Karg is a glorious beacon of lightJill Karg is a glorious beacon of light
actually i was always taught this way.

"Stop it! What the hell are you..."

three periods together next to word. no spacing between ... and word and "
Old 08-21-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
TheIT
Opening the door...

TheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The em-dash indicates a sudden cutoff or interruption. The ellipsis indicates a gradual trailing off.

MS Word has default settings for some punctuation marks. One setting converts two -- into an em-dash. Another is "smart quote" to make curly quotes. Most recommendations I've seen say to turn off both these features. Also, get rid of the AutoCorrect value to convert ... into one character.

Remember that quotation marks must come in pairs. In the second example in the original post, there's an odd number of quotes. MS Word will always try to match up pairs of quotes for curly quotes to make sure the "curls" are in the right direction. That's why the "quote shows up backwards". It's trying to match the first quote of the second sentence as the last quote of the first sentence. Doesn't matter to Word that it's on a different line.

NaNoWriMo 2013: Abyss, Part 1 - Anyone want to go for a swim?

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time
TheIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
mellymel

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Interesting guys. Thanks for the info. My computer turns -- into what I now know is called an em-dash.

Ellipsis I only use for as you said, trailing off in conversation or thought. But I do have the curly quotes so I will look into turning them off.

Thanks so much.

Mel

Last edited by mellymel; 08-21-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
FennelGiraffe
It's green they say

FennelGiraffe should run for PresidentFennelGiraffe should run for PresidentFennelGiraffe should run for PresidentFennelGiraffe should run for PresidentFennelGiraffe should run for PresidentFennelGiraffe should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellymel View Post
"Stop it! What the hell are you--"

Or is it,

"Stop it! What the hell are you--
"Stop moving, damn it. Your going to rip it."
Is this the same speaker with no intervening action? If so, why are you separating it? Why not keep it together?
"Stop it! What the hell are you-- Stop moving, damn it. You're going to rip it."

In a mystery novel, if I describe what's on a desk, the reader will understand that one of those objects is a clue.

In a literary novel, if I describe what's on a desk, the reader will understand it to be a metaphor for the protagonist's mental state.
- James D. Macdonald, discussing Reading Protocols, 6 Apr 2009
FennelGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Leah J. Utas
Protecting Teddy with all my might.

Leah J. Utas is a glorious beacon of lightLeah J. Utas is a glorious beacon of lightLeah J. Utas is a glorious beacon of light
Got drawn to this discussion and glad of it. I was having the same quote mark problems and had no idea about smart vs. straight marks. Thanks Soccer Mom.

The Goat's Lunch Pail

FB

LinkedIn

Twitter

Goodreads
Leah J. Utas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by FennelGiraffe View Post
Is this the same speaker with no intervening action? If so, why are you separating it? Why not keep it together?
"Stop it! What the hell are you-- Stop moving, damn it. You're going to rip it."
No, I thought it was one speaker being interrupted by a second speaker.

In which case it would be the first example where each piece of dialog is enclosed within quotation marks.

I love words but I dont like strange ones. You dont understand them and they dont understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know em the minute you see em. -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
whimsical rabbit
Bunned

whimsical rabbit is a candidate for sainthoodwhimsical rabbit is a candidate for sainthoodwhimsical rabbit is a candidate for sainthoodwhimsical rabbit is a candidate for sainthoodwhimsical rabbit is a candidate for sainthoodwhimsical rabbit is a candidate for sainthoodwhimsical rabbit is a candidate for sainthoodwhimsical rabbit is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIT View Post
The em-dash indicates a sudden cutoff or interruption. The ellipsis indicates a gradual trailing off.
That's what I thought, too. Thanks for confirming.
I wish, I wish he'd stay away.

Hughes Mearns

"The personages in a tale shall be alive, except in the case of corpses, and always the reader shall be able to tell the corpses from the others."
Mark Twain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
As da Wabbity one said, observation is key to it all.
whimsical rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Sevvy
Spec Fic Writer

Sevvy is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suirattigas View Post
Got drawn to this discussion and glad of it. I was having the same quote mark problems and had no idea about smart vs. straight marks. Thanks Soccer Mom.
Ditto, and it used to drive me nuts. My writing teachers would circle them all, and I'd just be like "...you know what I meant! Stupid computer..."
Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
mellymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FennelGiraffe View Post
No. Two different speakers. This isn't an example from my work. I made this on the spot. Sorry if it wasn't clear. But thanks for taking the time to respond

Now...how the heck do I turn off the curly quotes

Old 08-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tools>Autocorrect>Autoformat Tab. It's called "Straight Quotes with Smart Quotes. Uncheck it.

You can also uncheck the thing that makes -- into an M dash, and a few other things that might annoy you.

I love words but I dont like strange ones. You dont understand them and they dont understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know em the minute you see em. -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Sevvy
Spec Fic Writer

Sevvy is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
Tools>Autocorrect>Autoformat Tab. It's called "Straight Quotes with Smart Quotes. Uncheck it.

You can also uncheck the thing that makes -- into an M dash, and a few other things that might annoy you.
If you're working with Word 2010 (like I am T_T). Then it's File->options->proofing->autocorrect options

I think we should get together a giant spreadsheet of how to use all of our various writing programs, honestly.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
mellymel

Thanks Shadow,

Did it.

One last question, how do I get them to change in the text of my MS? Do I have to do a find all " and change them that way or is there another way to do it? Last question, promise

Thanks

Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #16
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You could do a search and replace.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:06 AM   #17
mellymel

will give that a try. thanks so very much everyone for your help

Mel

Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Karg View Post
actually i was always taught this way.

"Stop it! What the hell are you..."

three periods together next to word. no spacing between ... and word and "
I was taught that ... meant the speaker was trailing off deliberately. Pausing, thinking, whatever. But a dash -- indicates something else cut them off, like another person talking over them.

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
Satori1977

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
No, I thought it was one speaker being interrupted by a second speaker.

In which case it would be the first example where each piece of dialog is enclosed within quotation marks.
That is what I was assuming, it was two different speakers. If it is the same, I wouldn't seperate the dialogue by making a second line...keep it all on one line.

Richard Castle

Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
Satori1977

Hmmm, I have Word 2007, and don't see Tools or File to change my quotes.

Richard Castle