Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > International District
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #326
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumplet View Post
Calgary is also known for Spruce Meadows, an elite equestrian complex with world-class show jumping. I've never been, but I'd love to see it with my own eyes someday. Oh, yeah... the mountains, too.
My cousin Sue shows her baby there.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #327
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I'd like to say in the spirit of true Canadianism that I just watched "Barney's Version," and am now inspired to read my first Richler. It was outstanding. Sorry it took me so long. I have a lot on my list.

I figure, if I take my citizenship test next April, there has to be at least one Richler question. I already know the lyrics to oodles of Tragically Hip songs, and can do pretty mean Stompin Tom and Chretien impressions, thanks to mah hunny, the mimic. So I should do OK.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #328
MelissaMD
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MelissaMD is on a distinguished road
Don't forget the two-step!

Twitter - mcmd30
MelissaMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #329
J. Marks
Philalexandros

J. Marks has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaMD View Post
Can't really see the mountains in Calgary, ahha.. Head towards Banff.. Its breath-taking
Oh, you can see them from Calgary, and they are impressive, but you have to live in the western part of the city. I see them every time I go for groceries. I've often wondered what the poor ol' pioneers thought when they came over a hill, seeing for the first time those massive peaks off in the distance: "Ah, f@*k it, we're building the homestead right here!".
J. Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #330
MelissaMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Marks View Post
Oh, you can see them from Calgary, and they are impressive, but you have to live in the western part of the city. I see them every time I go for groceries. I've often wondered what the poor ol' pioneers thought when they came over a hill, seeing for the first time those massive peaks off in the distance: "Ah, f@*k it, we're building the homestead right here!".
I think I know where you're talking about!.. I found they were more impressive as you got closer :P however, having the Rockies as your horizon is pretty spectacular in itself!

Twitter - mcmd30
Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #331
dianeP
practical experience, FTW

dianeP has a spectacular aura
I was just passing through and thought I'd say hi, or bonjour.

Though I lived in the states for five years when I was young and originially learned American English, somehow "eh" still slipped in, not to mention a lot of French words that sometimes come to mind faster than English. Makes for some curious glances sometimes.
dianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #332
flapperphilosopher
writing like it's 1927

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
Woohoo, I figured how to multi-quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaMD View Post
Checking in from Halifax, NS.. Originally Cape Breton
Cool! I went to school at X and lived on the South Shore for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Marks View Post
A fellow Canadian checking in here! I'm a Calgarian who absolutely hates--loathes--despises the Calgary Stampede but, unfortunately, it's what we're know for around the world.
Woo, Calgary! I'm Calgarian too--not a fan of the Stampede either, but I loooove seeing mountains on the way to the grocery store! (because yes, yes you do. ).

My blog, connecting with people of the past through their photographs: The Passion of Former Days
flapperphilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #333
LJD
practical experience, FTW

LJD has earned our admirationLJD has earned our admirationLJD has earned our admirationLJD has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip-Hop-a-potamus View Post
I'd like to say in the spirit of true Canadianism that I just watched "Barney's Version," and am now inspired to read my first Richler. It was outstanding. Sorry it took me so long. I have a lot on my list.
I thought the book was much better than the movie
LJD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #334
MelissaMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapperphilosopher View Post
Cool! I went to school at X and lived on the South Shore for a while.
Nice!! I go to SMU! haha.. I know toooons of people from the South Shore too!

Twitter - mcmd30
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #335
layzer phish
I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S

layzer phish is on a distinguished road
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what 'Vico' is?

'Babel'--- A foreign planet post appocolyptic
2,500 words. On hiatus for now!

'Heaven doesn't want me'--- A sort of cliche psychological horror dealing with a man slowly losing his grasp on reality
5500 words in only one week
layzer phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #336
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
I thought the book was much better than the movie
Good! Then I have an extra special experience waiting for me.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #337
Raventongue
Roaring snugglecubus

Raventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh hi guys. Canadian newbie here. I'm awfully happy to see this thread. As nice as some of the people are on the predominantly American forums I used to frequent, they often don't seem to notice just how American they are; it's easy to start feeling like an outsider after a while.
Raventongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #338
L M Ashton
crazy spec fic writer

L M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:

I figure, if I take my citizenship test next April, there has to be at least one Richler question. I already know the lyrics to oodles of Tragically Hip songs, and can do pretty mean Stompin Tom and Chretien impressions, thanks to mah hunny, the mimic. So I should do OK.

You know about Stompin' Tom? I thought it was only old people. You know, my generation or older, who'd heard of him. He hasn't been around in a long time, has he? Oops, just checked Wikipedia, and he took a break from 1978 to 1988. No wonder I thought he was retired.

Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | LinkedIn | Walking the World | Chilli & Chocolate

Looking for something within AW? You can also use Google. Type "site:absolutewrite.com/forums/ search terms" where you put your own search terms in and you don't use the quotation marks. Easy peasy!
L M Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #339
L M Ashton
crazy spec fic writer

L M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raventongue View Post
Oh hi guys. Canadian newbie here. I'm awfully happy to see this thread. As nice as some of the people are on the predominantly American forums I used to frequent, they often don't seem to notice just how American they are; it's easy to start feeling like an outsider after a while.
Yes, that would be a complaint that many non-USAians have.

Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | LinkedIn | Walking the World | Chilli & Chocolate

Looking for something within AW? You can also use Google. Type "site:absolutewrite.com/forums/ search terms" where you put your own search terms in and you don't use the quotation marks. Easy peasy!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #340
Raventongue
Roaring snugglecubus

Raventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by L M Ashton View Post
Yes, that would be a complaint that many non-USAians have.
USAians! Now there's one I haven't heard. I'm more used to seeing us referred to us "Non-USers"... personally I'd really rather see someone spend the extra four seconds to type "those outside the US"
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #341
Cassidy
writing for kids and teens

Cassidy has a spectacular auraCassidy has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Oh hi guys. Canadian newbie here. I'm awfully happy to see this thread.
Hi and welcome. I'm on the island off the other coast ;-)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #342
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

Quote:
Originally Posted by L M Ashton View Post
You know about Stompin' Tom? I thought it was only old people. You know, my generation or older, who'd heard of him. He hasn't been around in a long time, has he? Oops, just checked Wikipedia, and he took a break from 1978 to 1988. No wonder I thought he was retired.
My husband (2 years younger than me) is a fan and saw him live a few years ago. He taught me about "Bud the Spud" and "Little WaWa" and let me know that the proper pronunciation is "pa-day-do" for the brown-skinned vegetables.

YOUR generation? I thought we were about the same age. That would make it OUR generation.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #343
KTC
THE REASONS - Now Available!

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The good ole hockey game, it's the best game you can name and the best game you can name is the good ole hockey game.

That's the Canadian anthem, isn't it???

Good ole Stompin Tom.

I was in Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal and Miramichi over the last 3 months. I live just east of Toronto...and I'm in Toronto a few times a week.

Yeah. I. Am. Canadian.
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #344
Raventongue
Roaring snugglecubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
Hi and welcome. I'm on the island off the other coast ;-)
Bet it's warmer there than here!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #345
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

It's freaking snowing here. Again.

I LONG for my garden. I press my face against the window and gaze lovingly at it, buried under all that white shit.

Sigh.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #346
Raventongue
Roaring snugglecubus

Quote:
I LONG for my garden. I press my face against the window and gaze lovingly at it, buried under all that white shit.
Usually I'd say "I know the feeling!" but this year? It's that accursed rain again. Warm torrential rain all summer, light rain all autumn, nasty cold rain all winter...
Old 04-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #347
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

Quote:
Usually I'd say "I know the feeling!" but this year? It's that accursed rain again. Warm torrential rain all summer, light rain all autumn, nasty cold rain all winter...
That was us last summer. From May through June. Constantly. And in addition to the SCADS of snow we'd had during winter it was Mosquito Paradise here (more than usual). Summer was hellish.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #348
L M Ashton
crazy spec fic writer

Quote:
My husband (2 years younger than me) is a fan and saw him live a few years ago. He taught me about "Bud the Spud" and "Little WaWa" and let me know that the proper pronunciation is "pa-day-do" for the brown-skinned vegetables.

YOUR generation? I thought we were about the same age. That would make it OUR generation.
What can I say? I'm feeling old. You know, bifocals, cataracts, joint problems, can't walk and creak when I do, white roots... :P

Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #349
L M Ashton
crazy spec fic writer

And... Please don't hate me. I haven't seen snow in nine years...

Old 04-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #350
Raventongue
Roaring snugglecubus

Aw, how could I hate you? The insects are probably terrible...

NaNo & Camp NaNo username: Cobalt Cyborg.....