Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #3026
Spiral
looking at the stars

Spiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputation
I'm glad all of the kidlit peeps affected by the storms are safe.
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #3027
SheilaJG
practical experience, FTW

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Tornados are so scary. A town is there, then it's gone. By far the most heart breaking thing was news of that little girl who was found alone in the field. That poor family.

So glad all the kidlitters and their pets are doing okay.

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #3028
Quentin Nokov
King of the Kitties

Quentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthood
I'm amazed how few storms we get here; we're in a very good location. Blizzards are about the only thing we might have to be concerned about, but we haven't had one of those since '77.

A little off topic. . .

A 30 Second Video For Kitty Cat Lovers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP3cAJNRTaM

Quentin Nokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #3029
MJWare
Kidlit gang, Junior member.

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
I'm going to be publishing a collection of MG shorts from various authors. I'm paying for editing and the cover, we'll make it free, but any profit would go to a kids charity.

The way it will work is each author will include a short, and an except from their book. I know most of the kidlit gang aren't self-pubing, but I figured I'd mention it just in case anyone wanted to be included.

All the stories will be reviewed by me and two others before inclusion, so it's not an automatic entry, but I'll put in a good word for kidlit regulars.
MJWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #3030
Quentin Nokov
King of the Kitties

Quentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthoodQuentin Nokov is a candidate for sainthood
Do you have a deadline for when entries can be submitted. And I think I misunderstood, you mean excerpt from full novels?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #3031
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
mware - I'd love to submit, but I don't think any of my shorts would be the quality you're wanting. The only time I can manage a short story is when i attempt the monthly prompts. Otherwise, I just go on, and on, and on, and on.

Sounds like an intriguing project, though. Keep us posted, please.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #3032
Quentin Nokov
King of the Kitties

^ Same here. I can't write short stories, and like oh man! I just discovered one can buy books free from Amazon. I downloaded the Kindle PC and have been getting free books ever since.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #3033
MJWare

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
I didn't do a good job explaining. The idea is to cross-promote our novels (traditionally, or self-pubed).
So all the authors are going to submit a short story (preferably summer camp themed.) After each story they'll be a link to an except from your novel (these are in the back of the book).

The idea is that some of our readers, say someone who likes the Priscilla The Great series will see that Sybil Nelson, its author, has included a short story. So they'll download a free copy of this ebook to read that, but they'll also read Lura Lund's work and maybe go out a buy one of her Lakeland knight books.

So, it's really for authors who have or are going to have books coming out and want to include a short.
Because it's going to be free, I don't anticipate much $$$ going to charity (a little might, as sometimes you can't make a book free in every country on Amazon).

Sissy, I don't know the quality of your shorts, per se. But I know your writing is more than good enough. Still, unless you have a book coming out it won't really benefit you or a charity.

HOWEVER, this totally gives me an idea. The kidlit gang could turn our writing prompts (some of them blow me away) into an ebook and give all the proceeds to a charity!
I don't have the time or funds to sponsor it right now. But after this one's done, I might be game.

Anyone interested? I'm thinking a 99˘ ebook with all the profits going to a children's charity of some sort. It would take a while to get everything done, but we could aim for around Christmas and I might be willing to pick up all the costs myself.

I'm sure we could make a bit of cash for some good cause. If there's some interest, I'll put the idea on the back-burner, speak with some editors about providing free or discounted services and see where it goes.

Last edited by MJWare; 03-07-2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: clearity
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #3034
Quentin Nokov
King of the Kitties

I would be interested, to get something published so my name is starting to get out there would be pretty cool and I might be able to have something by Christmas. I have nothing published now so I guess you're current idea would exclude me.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #3035
MJWare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin Nokov View Post
I would be interested, to get something published so my name is starting to get out there would be pretty cool and I might be able to have something by Christmas. I have nothing published now so I guess you're current idea would exclude me.
No, anyone is welcome to submit (though I realize I did make it sound that way). Instead of a book sample, we could post a link to your blog, webpage, etc.

I think the deadline will be April 1st. The other two authors I mentioned before are working on it with me and we haven't worked out all the details, but will soon.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #3036
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I busted a cute little fourth grade girl sneaking a nekkid-lady magazine out to the playground to giggle over during after-school yesterday. That makes a pretty good short story prompt, methinks
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #3037
MJWare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
I busted a cute little fourth grade girl sneaking a nekkid-lady magazine out to the playground to giggle over during after-school yesterday. That makes a pretty good short story prompt, methinks
Yes, as long as you make it kid appropriate =-)

Did she get in big trouble? I think I would have cried if that happened to me in 4th grade, my mom would have freaked!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #3038
Quentin Nokov
King of the Kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by mware01 View Post
No, anyone is welcome to submit (though I realize I did make it sound that way). Instead of a book sample, we could post a link to your blog, webpage, etc.

I think the deadline will be April 1st. The other two authors I mentioned before are working on it with me and we haven't worked out all the details, but will soon.
I don't have a webpage D= I suppose I could make one though. I've been pondering a blog. Is there a certain theme you're looking for?

A fourth grader was looking at magazine like that? Where in the world did she get it? *Shakes head* This world is so screwed up.

Last edited by Quentin Nokov; 03-07-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #3039
swachski
Mouth like a sailor..

swachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's a rumor going around in the Office Party that it's Kitty Pryde's birthday...

Have a happy one Kitty!!

Hi everyone elses!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. — Mark Twain
swachski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #3040
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputation
Happy Birthday, Kitty!

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #3041
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
Oh, It's Kitty's Birthday? I'm going to go look for something special just for her. Be back in a bit.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #3042
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Why thank you! I haven't been around much lately because i've been studying for a test (cset). But I took it yesterday! And now I am the birthday princess! My terribly naughty student brought me a card and a gift this morning: candy, a protein bar, and Bubble Tape! I didnt even know Bubble Tape still existed.
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #3043
MsJudy

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Happy Bday kitteh girl!

In honor of the day, how about a story?

Chapter 1: The creepy night
One night, a cat was walking in the woods. The cat climbed a tree. The tree fell on the cat.

Chapter 2: The creepy of the in-coming
A werewolf helped the cat. The werewolf brought the cat home.

Chapter 3: There's a zombie in the house!
Later in the night, a zombie snuck in an open window. It sucked the cat's blood.

Chapter 4: The fight outside
The werewolf fought the zombie outside. The werewolf picked the zombie's eyes out. It was dead.

Chapter 5: The celebration
The werewolf healed the cat and turned back into a man, as the sun rose.

The end

Genuine first-grade writing. I can't decide if I am the greatest teacher ever for encouraging such creativity, or the worst teacher ever for allowing horror stories in the lower grades...

Hopefully none of my students get nightmares tonight.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #3044
Britwriter

Britwriter is well-respected
Oh my gosh, that's so cool.

My son's stories usually involve things like medieval pumpkin slayers. Even a Valentine activity turned into skewered skeletons. Lovely.
Britwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #3045
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputationheza has a double-platinum reputation
That's awesome.

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #3046
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Happy birthday, Kitty!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #3047
sissybaby

That was a totally amazing story. What an honor, Kitty.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #3048
RuthD
careful...you'll end up in my novel

RuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admiration
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Kitteeeeee,
Happy birthday to you!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #3049
RuthD
careful...you'll end up in my novel

RuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admiration
My husband sent me a link to a video of Where the Wild Things Are read aloud & pictures described by Christopher Walken. So funny! If you need a laugh, I posted it on my blog:

http://readatouille.blogspot.com/201...preted-by.html
Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #3050
Ferret
Dook!

Ferret is a glorious beacon of lightFerret is a glorious beacon of light
Happy Birthday, Kitty!

Judy, you're definitely the greatest teacher ever. I love the story.

Ruth, great video! His description of the pictures are the best.
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote