Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #2626
MorganMarshall
I keep my head firmly in the clouds

MorganMarshall is well-respected
Been busy doing the mom thing, but popping in to say Merry Christmas! Oh, and my favorite is by far A Christmas Story. (Though tonight we watched A Christmas Carol). :-)

WIP:
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
MorganMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #2627
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Happy Holidays!
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #2628
Spiral
looking at the stars

Spiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputation
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #2629
MsJudy
practical experience, FTW

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Amarie has an evil kitteh...
Old 12-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #2630
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The kitteh is having a terrific holiday. The decorations, the tree and the ribbons and bows on the presents are all suffering from her enjoyment. She makes ninja runs at the presents with bows, dashing by and ripping them off to carry to her lair behind the tree. There will be one sad kitty when it all gets put away.
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #2631
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
Amarie - love the kittehs, especially at this time of year. One of mine loves to knock the little balls off the tree and knock them around the house during the night. Always have to be careful where we step in the morning. The older one waited until the gifts were in place, then decided she wanted to sleep beneath it. Half the gift-wrapping was torn or had holes yesterday morning! Now that under the tree is empty, she's lost interest.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #2632
MsJudy

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My dog was absolutely certain that every present was for her. She went from person to person, sticking her head into each gift bag and having a good sniff before letting anybody open one! Not that she found anything she wanted... We learned a long time ago that you can't hide a tennis ball or puppy toy from a terrier.

She was our source of Christmas miracles, though. She's very shy and neurotic and protective of me and my sons, so having guests over has been a real problem since we got her. Lots of barking and snapping at heels...

We've been working on it, taking her to the dog park and trying to get my sons' friends to feed her bits of cheese and such, but nothing seems to work. So yesterday...she comes home from her walk, hops up on the couch next to my brother-in-law, curls up against his leg and proceeds to let him pet her! Earlier she'd been bringing him her new ball and sitting at his feet until he threw it for her.

Only took her 5 years to warm up to him...
Old 12-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #2633
DavidBrett
Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas

DavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admiration
I ain't dead!!

.... I think...?

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon
DavidBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #2634
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
Ah, Judy, that's such a sweet story. Some of those little doggies can be so socially challenged? I'm not sure of the proper term for it. But it's great that she found someone she can tolerate in addition to her every day family.

Our dog got her one toy she's allotted at Christmas - just a very inexpensive squeeky stuffed reindeer from Walmart. My Dalmatians would destroy every toy they ever had except a Kong, but Tipsy loves her babies. After she got her reindeer, she carried it and her stuffed monkey from last year into the middle of the Christmas mess and lay down with them, oblivious of the fact that she made a major obstacle for everyone else.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #2635
sissybaby

Oh, David, our posts crossed, so I have no idea what yours means? Did you have a holiday mishap, or is it that you've been missing for a while and have returned?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #2636
DavidBrett
Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas

DavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admiration
The latter - I've been away since early Nov :p

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon
DavidBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #2637
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Glad to see you again, Dave!

I'm loving all the pet stories. I haven't seen my evil kitteh since Thursday. I miss her.

I've had an adorable beagle puppy to play with and cuddle with, though. So, that's been nice. But I'm looking forward to seeing my Chloe Cat this evening. Hopefully, she hasn't destroyed the Christmas tree...
Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #2638
MJWare
Kidlit gang, Junior member.

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
My lab knows the rules well: if it's on the floor it's hers, everything else is off limits (she won't even touch piping-hot pizza sitting on the ottoman).

Works great, except in all the rushing around on Christmas day, we left the contents of the stockings on the floor--which including things like: Lifesaver gummies, mints, suckers, etc.

Got home from my parents last night to discover she'd followed the rules; didn't eat anything on the couch, but everything on the floor was gone, packaging and all =-)

Fortunately, she threw-up before we went to bed, so we didn't have to leave her in the garage on Christmas night (it was freezing outside and she's getting old).
MJWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #2639
MsJudy

mware: bleah.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #2640
sissybaby

Oh, my - glad I wasn't at your house. Poor puppa.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #2641
The Kidd
Not an actual kid...or goat.

The Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputation
Digging the blog love guys. That is part of my New Years Resolution. Get more followers and follow more blogs

WIP:
Miraculous Mr. D: MG Fantasy>: 36k/45k

(Untitled Kelpie story) Paranormal Romance>: 3.5k/50k

The Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #2642
MJWare

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
I woke-up this morning with a cold so bad that I couldn't (or maybe wouldn't) get out of bed--finally dragged myself up at 2pm feeling terrible until I saw this review:

"...She could not put this read down, she even took it with us on our little vacation and the only time she stopped reading is when we are swimming. She had the book done by the end of that night and kept telling K little pieces here and their so he was ready to start reading himself. He started reading it on the car ride home and if you could hear the noises coming from this kid you would have busted up laughing to. He was giggling and huh and the noises just kept coming when he was reading."

Throw in a 5-star review on Amazon and I fell about a thousand times better. Who needs antibiotics when you have book reviewers!

Last edited by MJWare; 12-30-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: spacing
Old 12-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #2643
sissybaby

Hurray!

Great to hear, mware - amazing what a great review can do for you.

If you still need it, feel better.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #2644
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's awesome, mware! Well done

I've got a great undertaking underway. We've been home all of winter break shopping and painting and sanding and such. Tomorrow early we are driving up to SF with a bed, desk, chair, shelf, nightstand, comforter, storage stuffs, sheets, rug, and lamps for my 15 yr old nephew. He's moved cross country from his mom's to his dad's (my BIL's) but he's got nothing in his bedroom but an air mattress. [I'll omit all the family drama surrounding these events.] We thought the kid could use a bit warmer welcome back to California so we sorted out all this stuff from IKEA or from bumming off our friends. When we get there it all has to be put together! And then a great drinking of beer shall commence. The kid won't be back until the 3rd, so hopefully he will like it then. We spent our New TV Fund money on all this stuff so hopefully our half-broken tv can hold out, via the power of good vibes, until we can manage to get a new one. Whew!
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #2645
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats, Mike!

Kitty, that's so nice! I'm sure he'll love all of it. It'll be his own little Christmas miracle.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #2646
MsJudy

yay for mware and good karma for kitty!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #2647
sissybaby

Ah, Kitty, you're a good little kitteh. I would love to be watching from a shelf, ears twitching, while you all put that furniture together. What fun!

Love your new avatar.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #2648
The Kidd
Not an actual kid...or goat.

The Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputation
Quote:
've got a great undertaking underway. We've been home all of winter break shopping and painting and sanding and such. Tomorrow early we are driving up to SF with a bed, desk, chair, shelf, nightstand, comforter, storage stuffs, sheets, rug, and lamps for my 15 yr old nephew. He's moved cross country from his mom's to his dad's (my BIL's) but he's got nothing in his bedroom but an air mattress. [I'll omit all the family drama surrounding these events.] We thought the kid could use a bit warmer welcome back to California so we sorted out all this stuff from IKEA or from bumming off our friends. When we get there it all has to be put together! And then a great drinking of beer shall commence. The kid won't be back until the 3rd, so hopefully he will like it then. We spent our New TV Fund money on all this stuff so hopefully our half-broken tv can hold out, via the power of good vibes, until we can manage to get a new one. Whew!
That is so sweet :3 . I know it will make him so much happier. I remember how much nicer it was just to have a closet in our room when my husband and I moved to our new house. I'll send good vibes to your tv and will it to last longer for you guys

WIP:
Miraculous Mr. D: MG Fantasy>: 36k/45k

(Untitled Kelpie story) Paranormal Romance>: 3.5k/50k

The Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:08 AM   #2649
MJWare

Kitty, That's a big sacrifice--I know I spend way too much time watching tv. But I'm sure it will make a big difference for him.

As for me, my bragging came back to haunt me today with my first 1-star review:
"Zombies asome! #1!!!
I dont like zombies but that was asome!!!!"

Either they were being sarcastic or they didn't realize they were giving it one star. My vote is for the latter, but either way, it's Karma for all my bragging yesterday.

Oh, well. At least I got out of bed at a decent hour today =-)
Old 12-31-2011, 01:27 AM   #2650
sissybaby

mware - ouch! let's hope they made a mistake.

kidd - you have a closet in your bedroom? I am sooo jealous. I have to use one of the spare ones upstairs.