Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Craters on Mars to be named for SF writers - request for suggestions

This is so nice. If you have a favourite SF story set on Mars and would like to suggest the author be given the honour of having a crater on Mars named after them, then please reply here. The existing names can be checked at the USGS Planetary Geology web site gazetteer of planetary nomenclature, here. The caveat is that the author must be deceased.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Pthom
practical experience, FTW

Pthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool, ElaraSophia. Thanks for posting this.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Lyra Jean
Two years old now.

Lyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That is awesome. I just finished reading "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and learned there is a crater on the moon named after Hienlien. (sp?)

My history Blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear

My Quilting Blog: A Stitch in Time

WIP: For Love or Country rough draft
Chapter One complete 2,034
Lyra Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Edgar Rice Burroughs should have his own crater as well, or maybe even a mountain range. He has a series of 11 books where Mars was the world his main MC was transported to...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
Mishell
That Clarion chick!

Mishell is well-respected
If they don't name one after Kim Stanley Robinson I'm going to cry like a little girl.

Edit: They have to be deceased? Argh, the best writer about Mars is still living. What a shame. I guess I'll have to go kill him.
"Throwing Stones"--Beneath Ceaseless Skies #47. "Break"--Daily Science Fiction. "Vaporware"--Redstone Science Fiction.
"Butterfly Effect" forthcoming in Electric Velocipede!
Urban Fantasy Novel: 23,000/100,000 words

SF&F Writers: Check out the official Clarion Blog! And if you like, follow me on Twitter.

Last edited by Mishell; 05-08-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Mishell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
Ambri
Plotting something

Ambri has a spectacular aura
Didn't Ben Bova have a Mars story or series? Hmm . . . I guess I don't know whether or not he's deceased.
Ambri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
ClareGreen
Onwards, ever onwards

ClareGreen is a shiny, shiny jewelClareGreen is a shiny, shiny jewel
W. E. Johns of 'Biggles' fame wrote 10 sci-fi books, more than one of which took the characters to Mars. My school library had one or two, back when I was small - they were the first sci-fi I ever read. http://www.wejohns.com/SciFi/
Old 05-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
Lyra Jean
Two years old now.

Lyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs should have his own crater as well, or maybe even a mountain range. He has a series of 11 books where Mars was the world his main MC was transported to...
I have three of his novels in one. The John Carter Mars stories. Got it Barnes and Noble. My dad was a big fan so I decided to read them as well.

My history Blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear

My Quilting Blog: A Stitch in Time

WIP: For Love or Country rough draft
Chapter One complete 2,034
Lyra Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
RemusShepherd
Token mad scientist.

RemusShepherd is a glorious beacon of lightRemusShepherd is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambri View Post
Didn't Ben Bova have a Mars story or series? Hmm . . . I guess I don't know whether or not he's deceased.
I met Ben Bova at a convention a month ago. He's fine, and a charming man.

Hmmn. C.S. Lewis should have a crater. And Leigh Brackett. Oh, yes.
RemusShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
AceTachyon
Odd person

AceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Burroughs has a crater according to the link to the gazetteer.

AceTachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Heck, in a sci-fi setting I was reading, the future rural martians call themselves barsoomians.

Or rednecks.

Heh.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (being planned)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
Mac H.
Board Visitor

Mac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputation
The caveats include:
* The writer must be deceased
* The writer must bit be known for politics after 1800
* Must not be a religious figure

It's a shame about the last criteria. C.S Lewis should be remembered for his sci-fi as well.

Mac
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
whistlelock
Whiskey Rebel

whistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTachyon View Post
Burroughs has a crater according to the link to the gazetteer.

Yep.

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/js...?feature=61097

For the link impaired the Burroughs crater : Latitude -72.42 (117E)1
Old 05-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Smiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac H. View Post
The caveats include:
* The writer must be deceased
* The writer must bit be known for politics after 1800
* Must not be a religious figure

It's a shame about the last criteria. C.S Lewis should be remembered for his sci-fi as well.

Mac
True, but Lewis used his "Space Trilogy" as a Neo-Platonic Christian allegory to inveigh against materialism and what he saw as the hubris of science - specifically the notion of technological space travel. At one point, he suggests that the vast distances between planets are an intentional "quarantine" on the part of the Creator.

In that context, he probably wouldn't have wanted a crater named after him, and NASA wouldn't want to put him there.

Read This Blog!: http://theswordthatnagged.blogspot.com/
Smiling Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ray Bradbury should be at the top of this list.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #16
Shadow_Ferret
They see me rollin', they hatin'

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
Ray Bradbury should be at the top of this list.
Yes. But they have to be deceased.

I love words but I dont like strange ones. You dont understand them and they dont understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know em the minute you see em. -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #17
WriteKnight
Arranger Of Disorder

WriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admiration
Let's not rush Ray into the pantheon...
WriteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
Mac H.
Board Visitor

Mac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Ted View Post
True, but Lewis used his "Space Trilogy" as a Neo-Platonic Christian allegory to inveigh against materialism and what he saw as the hubris of science - specifically the notion of technological space travel. At one point, he suggests that the vast distances between planets are an intentional "quarantine" on the part of the Creator.
Exactly. He saw the mythology of Mars and chose to incorporate it into his mythology, bringing it into the eyes of a whole new audience. After all, other sci-fi writers brought the mythology of Mars to the same readership - he introduced it to a new audience.

That's gotta be worth a crater or two!

BTW, According to his "A Reply to Professor Haldane" it wasn't an allegory against the notion of technological space travel. Instead it is an attack on another belief :

To quote:

Quote:
.. the belief that the supreme moral end is the perpetuation of our species, and that this is to be pursued even if, in the process of being fitted for survival, our species has to be stripped of all those things for which we value it- of pity, of happiness, and of freedom
In fact, he makes it clear in that essay (or was it another one?) that he doesn't think that science and technology is evil. Instead, science has become so trusted that any intelligent person wanting to encourage another to do evil would choose to phrase the invitation in scientific terms. In the past, an evil man in authority could just say "Do this, even though it goes against your natural instincts.". Now they would say "This is the scientific thing to do - even though it goes against your natural instincts".

Yes, he speculated that we should be careful before we just go rushing off into technological progress.

And for that, we should thank him - not forget him.

Mac
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote