Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #5651
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Carleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolness
For what it's worth, I always send 5 pages with the query unless an agency specifically says doing so will garner an automatic rejection. No one has ever complained about it, and the requests I've gotten have all (excepting 2) have come from those queries with the extra pages.
Carleree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #5652
ChelseaWriter
practical experience, FTW

ChelseaWriter has a spectacular auraChelseaWriter has a spectacular aura
Well, drat. Guess I jinxed myself. Got 2 rejections today -- one from Avalon (publishers), a "Dear Author" letter.

My manuscript exceeded their strict word count limit, so that's probably the reason. At least, that's what I'm telling myself, to make it sting less.

Author website

PAINTING THE MOON, published June 2014!

ChelseaWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #5653
soulred
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

soulred is on a distinguished road
It had been a while since I'd even submitted anything, so when I got a rejection today I'd actually forgotten how to feel about it. Oddly, it made me feel compelled to open a fresh word document and start something completely new. At least it's something to keep me busy while waiting to hear back from my next potential.
soulred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #5654
itsmary
have faith, restart

itsmary is on a distinguished road
Only got one rejection today. I was kind of having a crappy day, but it was such a nice rejection that it actually made me feel better, even though it was a standard form letter.
itsmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #5655
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
On behalf of Michelle Brower--

Thank you very much for thinking of me and Folio Literary Management for representation. Your writing voice is clear and strong, and your protagonist is extremely likable. The story is quirky and playful and easy to read. This is a definite plus in today's market! However, the story's playfulness has the potential to outweigh the seriousness of your hook, and I'd advise another "go through" to give your manuscript another careful edit for rough patches in the language and flow. After consideration, I regret to say that your project is not right for my list at this time. As you know, this is a subjective business and another reader may feel differently. I really do wish you the best of luck in finding the right agent and perfect fit for your novel.

Am overwhelmed. I honestly think this means I'm getting closer.

Last edited by pollymilton; 06-13-2012 at 02:54 AM.
pollymilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #5656
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Carleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollymilton View Post
Definitely closer. What an excellent personal response. I suggest you ask if she'd be willing to look at a rewrite. You don't have to actually rewrite, but it could leave the door open should you get some more feedback to help strengthen your novel. Go Polly!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #5657
Hathor
Goddess of Rationalization

Hathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to behold
Hmmm...I liked the playfulness with the seriousness of the hook, myself. But still, a good reject, as these things go! I had to use an exclamation point, because she did!

Honestly, I have problems reading the Cupid's Literary Connection posts because...gee! So many points!!!

I have to sell one or both of my projects. My homestead is hemorrhaging money these days. Today was committing to tree work (that's where the real money today is, folks) and tracking down a roof leak (don't want to think what all that is is going to cost, especially the interior repairs). Ack, I was going to work on my NF, but stuff keeps happening.
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #5658
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
See, to me, the playfulness and the seriousness go together, and as old married women, the three of us know that. Life is never one thing, and neither is a good book. But thanks, ladies.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #5659
narmowen
Lost in the woods

narmowen is on a distinguished road
Huh. Another rejection today, but a publishing company is interested! So, I have two fulls out there, and another interested...maybe I'm getting somewhere?

It could be that I'm not sending it to the right people...that's the hardest thing for me, to figure out who to send it to. It's a paranormal mystery, heavy on both...so I've been double dipping and sending it to both mystery & fantasy agents...

Shimmer: YA post-apocolyptic. 3k and going.

Requests from the Reference Desk
narmowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #5660
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Polly, I had a reject (just recently) almost identical to that from a publisher, who explained that I had somewhat of a "tone crash" between the very long hook and the second half. Started off dark and then got fluffy. Ha!

This means you are zeroing in on the magic that you need. Just a bit more....and you'll be there.

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #5661
Quickbread

Quickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollymilton View Post
Wow, Polly, that sounds like a really positive rejection. I'd definitely ask for an R&R. What I read in her feedback is that the playfulness is just a bit over the top and is eclipsing the seriousness, and that if you do one more go-round, you might be able to strike a better balance by toning down here and there. Less can really be more with humor and quirkiness, and scaling it back where it's not totally needed or where the timing is a bit off, will really make it shine when it is used. Not that I know your ms at all. This is just how I'm interpreting MB's comments.
Quickbread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #5662
Quickbread

Quickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleree View Post
For what it's worth, I always send 5 pages with the query unless an agency specifically says doing so will garner an automatic rejection. No one has ever complained about it, and the requests I've gotten have all (excepting 2) have come from those queries with the extra pages.
I do this, too. I once met a big agent at a social event and asked her if I should always include the first five pages with my query, even if the agent didn't specify that in their guidelines. She said, "Well, I wouldn't NOT read the pages if they were there."
Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #5663
pollymilton
please hold....

GAHHHH, I just realized that I only sent the first chapter. I thought she had 50 pages. It was only a standard query + 10. Huh.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #5664
Quickbread

Rats. Just got a rejection on my full from that assistant who had said my partial was 'beautiful.' Lovely prose, not enough forward impetus. Not sure I agree with that, but still. Sigh...
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #5665
pollymilton
please hold....

boooo. It does sound like you're getting so close, though!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #5666
ChelseaWriter

ChelseaWriter has a spectacular auraChelseaWriter has a spectacular aura
(((((Quickbread))))))

Those rejections are always the hardest for me (where they give a little compliment, then a request a full after a partial). My hopes always nudge upward in those situations.

Author website

PAINTING THE MOON, published June 2014!

ChelseaWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #5667
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

I laughed at the form reject I got today. Not only was it addressed to "Dar Carleen" Yes, Dar, not Dear--it referenced materials I hadn't submitted. I'm kind of glad she said no. Obviously her attention to detail is way lacking.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #5668
silver76
Living the Dream (Nightmare)

silver76 is a splendid one to beholdsilver76 is a splendid one to beholdsilver76 is a splendid one to behold
Hey wanted to share a post I did today with my original query letter and tips on query letters! http://lisabursteinauthor.wordpress....nd-query-tips/

Goodreads
Blog
Website
ORDER PRETTY AMY
silver76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #5669
Jessica_312

Jessica_312 is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys! I just started querying for my novel. So far, sent out about a dozen email queries. Received four responses within two days of sending them, all four standard form rejections.

I think I'll pass out with excitement if any agent requests a partial.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #5670
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Welcome to the game, Jessica!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #5671
M.T.Logue
The T is for Trying to Stop Lurking

M.T.Logue has a spectacular aura
Some more rejections, and decided on a few non-responses.

I've gone and edited the query to try and make it a bit stronger, and more... relevant to the MC, I guess. I think the version I sent out might have not given a strong enough sense of the MC or the voice, so that's what I tried here. We'll see how it works out!
M.T.Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #5672
Hathor

Hathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleree View Post
I laughed at the form reject I got today. Not only was it addressed to "Dar Carleen" Yes, Dar, not Dear--it referenced materials I hadn't submitted. I'm kind of glad she said no. Obviously her attention to detail is way lacking.
One of my favorite rejections was someone passing on a partial, saying she wasn't interested in representing my novel. Only it was nonfiction...

I can't be too picky, though, after the mistakes I've made. I'm the woman, after all, who had a professor write a "forward."

You'll get there, Dar.

And welcome to the new folks!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #5673
qdsb
Cynical Idealist

qdsb is a shiny, shiny jewelqdsb is a shiny, shiny jewel
I've been away from AW for a while so I hope I'm in the right spot to post my anxious query status...I sent out five queries last week in my first-ever attempt. I've gotten three requests for partials (squee!!!) and two form rejections.

Hesitantly hopeful...
qdsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #5674
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

I've been conversing a lot with my dream agent this past week. And I do mean DREAM agent. I've been lucky that she's been willing to go back and forth with me, but her direction bites. It's so vague that I end up spending hours trying to decipher her meaning. And now, it seems, she wants a complete rewrite of my book with a new plot. At least that is what I think she wants. Would've been nice if she could've just come out and said that. Sigh. Back to work I go.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #5675
Hathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdsb View Post
I've been away from AW for a while so I hope I'm in the right spot to post my anxious query status...I sent out five queries last week in my first-ever attempt. I've gotten three requests for partials (squee!!!) and two form rejections.

Hesitantly hopeful...
Oh, yes, you're in the right spot. Three out of five is great (and so is getting everyone to at least respond). Remember: keep querying while you wait.

We seem to post all sorts of other stuff here also, and no one seems to mind. No off-topic police on this thread. Maybe talking about other stuff makes it easier to deal with rejection and endless waiting.

Dar Carleree (hey, maybe it stands for "darling") -- that sucks. I'm back to work myself, even if it's an even-numbered day.