Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #5351
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bit too much like Whorey Nights don't you think?

What about Whorey Knights?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #5352
Hathor
Goddess of Rationalization

Hathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to behold
Only possible if they aren't too hoary. Or haven't drunk too much Yukon Jack.
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #5353
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
I'm totally going to write "Whorey Knights: When Chivalry was in Flower and Knights Were Sold on the Cheap"
pollymilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #5354
Quickbread
practical experience, FTW

Quickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathor View Post
Maybe I'll dribble it on new plants and see if it keeps the hungry deer away.
Oh no, it's fire-in-the-belly good. It's the cure for all things hoar.
Quickbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #5355
Hathor

Hathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to behold
I guess I'll save the elixer for myself, then. All this discussion is making me curious. But it's still a bit early to hit the hard stuff.

Or maybe it's this section I'm trying to rewrite. It was too long and there's another section even worse. I'm trying to combine the two, but my brain isn't working this afternoon. I'm trying to switch from coffee back to tea and it's not going well.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #5356
itsmary
have faith, restart

itsmary is on a distinguished road
Got another form rejection a few minutes ago. I sent out 15 queries a week and a half ago and have gotten four responses. Which isn't too bad, I guess, but all of them have been form rejections. It's still early though, right?
itsmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #5357
Hathor

Right. If you're curious, you might check out the average response times for different agents on the querytracker website. This can also give you an idea if they usually respond or ignore you if they aren't interested.

As a general rule, I assume I'm not going to hear from someone after three months, because that's the longest I've waited before someone responded.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #5358
Quickbread

Quickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of light
Itsmary, yep, it's early. In my most recent round, I sent 30 queries, and received only 11 responses, 4 of which were requests for more material. All the query rejections were forms.

One of the agents I queried has an average 69-day response time on queries, according to QueryTracker. I had a seven-month response once, and it was a very apologetic full request.

Hathor, it's 8 pm somewhere. And it's Friday. And it's hoary somewhere. Three good reasons to give your YJ a whirl.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #5359
Hathor

Yes, I'm sure the stuff would improve my word choice. In too many sentences in the NF I sound...pedantic. (Yes, most of you guessed what I was going to say.) With a shot or three of YK, I suspect I'd be more colorful. Not sure if the f-bomb belongs in a work about special education, however much it really belongs there. Those, er, f-ers were hurting my baby!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #5360
Drachen Jager

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finally seeing some movement on the Agent front.

Two rejections.

At least this means my e-mail is working.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #5361
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Carleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolness
And another Friday passes in complete silence for me
Carleree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #5362
Quickbread

For me, too, Carleree.

Sorry about the rejections, DJ.

I hope next week brings everyone here some positive news.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #5363
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Carleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolness
I was sure I would get a boat load of Rs today. I sent out a batch of queries two weeks ago, and in my experience, if you're going to get a response it comes within 14 days.

Too bad for me, though. I'm not sending any more out until I hear back on the subs. I'm coming up on the three month mark for two fulls. Too panicky to nudge though. I'll take the silence.
Carleree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #5364
Drachen Jager

I think there's been a lot of conferences and such for the past two weeks Carleree. I expect we'll see some action over the weekend and next week.

(fingers crossed)
Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #5365
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
I just got some crappy non-news from the agent who was consulting on my letter (charity purchase) and then when we talked, asked to see the whole manu.

She sent the letter back today with her fixes but no mention of manu. UGH. Disappointed.

P.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #5366
mayqueen

mayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I sent out a whole slew of queries last week and the week before. I'm finally starting to hear back. All form rejections. That's better than not hearing anything, I guess. I have a partial and a full out.

Le sigh. It gets me down, but I've gotten better about scanning the email, archiving it in my Writing folder, and going back to whatever I was doing.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #5367
pollymilton
please hold....

Well. I just emailed Jenny, saying I'd been too shy to say how impressed I was by her, that she would have been my first choice, how thrilled I was to send her my MS and that she was still stellar in my book.

She replied saying "Thanks! I haven't read it yet..."

WOW. I am a dork. Perhaps the queen of all dorks.

P.

Last edited by pollymilton; 04-28-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #5368
Drachen Jager

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollymilton View Post
Well. I just emailed Jenny, saying I'd been too shy to say how impressed I was by her, that she would have been my first choice, how thrilled I was to send her my MS and that she was still stellar in my book.

She replied saying "Thanks! I haven't read it yet..."

WOW. I am a dork. Perhaps the queen of all dorks.

P.
JB Jenny? If so I've got a full with one of her co-agents. We've got a bit of a rapport going so I hope I have a good shot there.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #5369
Hathor

polly,

Try some Yukon Jack. Good for what ails ya.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #5370
pollymilton
please hold....

Yeah, it's JB Jenny. We talked and I just lurrrve her too much that it's gonna hurt worse than a break up. But at least I was honest about my nerd girl crush.

Hathor, still got all that whisky in my basement, and foolishly drank some wine just now - hubs. out of town and makes me anxious. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to wine and I now have to take benadryl.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #5371
Hathor

Oh, hon, feel better. And stay away from things you're allergic to.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #5372
pollymilton
please hold....

I am hanging in! Only 3 more nights to go! I honestly don't know how single moms do it, and I roped my folks in today for hiking and then they came to dinner and we watched crazy old westerns. In 1936 John Wayne was pretty darn handsome!

Researching agents. This is like...studying for finals, but longer. GAhhhh.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #5373
Hathor

Worse than finals...for them you know what the answers are supposed to be. But hang in there. There are plenty of cute cowboys, you know.

I know what you mean about the kids. I spent a memorable two weeks alone with mine when they were young. My husband was in the Soviet Union, we couldn't contact each other, and I didn't know when he'd come home. (He had to bluff his way out.)

Anyway, researching agents doesn't bother me as much as writing the query. If you query somebody who probably wouldn't like your book, no harm is done. But if you muff it with a bad query to someone who should like your book...

Eh, you can probably tell, I'm looking at my NF query again. My book doesn't sound entertaining, but oh-so-terribly earnest. I suppose I should rewrite the query to be pithier and closer to the tone of the book. I have to rewrite the proposal too, because everything's reorganized (or getting that way). This is the project that never ends.

Perhaps some agents were scared away by the 110,000 word count? It's 82,000 now and I'm still working on it. Who knows? Soon my book may be too short.

Oh, Carleree, you didn't watch the third period of the Caps/Rangers game, did you? Sigh.

Actually it was probably the fault of either the idiot columnist who wrote that the DC sports curse was apparently now over (Nats lost yesterday also) or my daughter. She called before the third quarter and I had to mute the game. NY scored and I said a Very Bad Word. "Mom, I've never heard you say that word before. I didn't know you cursed like that." "Uh, you didn't?" Great moments in motherhood. Well, I kept the secret for 25 years Maybe I should call up my son and lob the word at him, too.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #5374
LadyA
Listening to Bastille on repeat

LadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleree View Post
I was sure I would get a boat load of Rs today. I sent out a batch of queries two weeks ago, and in my experience, if you're going to get a response it comes within 14 days.

Too bad for me, though. I'm not sending any more out until I hear back on the subs. I'm coming up on the three month mark for two fulls. Too panicky to nudge though. I'll take the silence.
*hugs* The silence is the awful bit. I've sent out about 35 queries, spaced out over about a month. I've got one form rejection and silence. If you get responses within 14 days, then I'm basically screwed. Oh well :/

ETA: Okay, mega-weird, but perhaps posting about silence was my lucky charm. I just got a full request from an agent I subbed to yesterday!

Y, M & ECG - YA Contemp (62k)

WHAT I DIDN'T TELL Y0U - YA Contemp (76k)

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp. Querying.

UNTITLED - YA Contemp (WIP)

twitter tumblr
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #5375
Hathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyA View Post
*hugs* The silence is the awful bit. I've sent out about 35 queries, spaced out over about a month. I've got one form rejection and silence. If you get responses within 14 days, then I'm basically screwed. Oh well :/

ETA: Okay, mega-weird, but perhaps posting about silence was my lucky charm. I just got a full request from an agent I subbed to yesterday!
Yea, you! As customary, have a