Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #5101
Hathor
Goddess of Rationalization

Hathor is a glorious beacon of lightHathor is a glorious beacon of lightHathor is a glorious beacon of light
Hi, LadyA. No reason to be shy. We're all rejects here. Er, our work has been rejected, I mean.

(In case you haven't read many previous posts, I have a plan. Odd-numbered days I believe in my work. Even-numbered days I don't.)
Hathor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #5102
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
I'm proud to be a reject!
pollymilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #5103
LadyA
Listening to Bastille on repeat

LadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for President
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathor View Post
Hi, LadyA. No reason to be shy. We're all rejects here. Er, our work has been rejected, I mean.

(In case you haven't read many previous posts, I have a plan. Odd-numbered days I believe in my work. Even-numbered days I don't.)
Ha, I love that! Perhaps I'll have to try it - except I sent off most of my queries on an even-numbered day - so perhaps I won't

Y, M & ECG - YA Contemp (62k)

WHAT I DIDN'T TELL Y0U - YA Contemp (76k)

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp. Querying...and entered in Pitch Wars!

C0LLISI0N C0URSE - YA Contemp (WIP)

twitter tumblr
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #5104
Hathor

Hathor is a glorious beacon of lightHathor is a glorious beacon of lightHathor is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollymilton View Post
I'm proud to be a reject!
How about rejectionista? That sounds a bit edgier and exciting.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #5105
redneckballerina
I ride the wind and dance the stars

redneckballerina is on a distinguished road
Oooof. Been a rough week ~ was bitten by a brown recluse spider AND got a rejection for a story I thought had promise.

I think I deserve some chocolate. :/
redneckballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #5106
Hathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckballerina View Post
Oooof. Been a rough week ~ was bitten by a brown recluse spider AND got a rejection for a story I thought had promise.

Ouch. Chocolate, wine, shoes, jewelry...or any combination thereof, I'd say.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #5107
redneckballerina

Thanks, Hathor. I'm eating a caramel-filled chocolate egg and doodling ideas for the next story, so maybe things will turn around. I tell you what, though, I NEVER want to see another spider again.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #5108
Hathor

Hmm...caramel-filled chocolate egg. I so want one.

I'm going to a baseball game now, though. I guess beer will have to do it. I've spent the day "ly" hunting in my NF.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #5109
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Location: Between the middle of nowhere and where the hell am I?
Carleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolness
Saw a spider today and didn't run screaming, nor did I kill it. Fail on both counts. Today is a real even-numbered day.
Carleree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #5110
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
LOL.

Got 2 rejections today.

FROM SUBMISSIONS MADE ALMOST A YEAR AGO!!!!!!

on a completely different project.

amazing.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #5111
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
Oof. A year ago - WTF? That is weak.

Also, ballerina, what? Are you OK? Did you need antibiotics? Holy hell.

No news here.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #5112
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckballerina View Post

I once knew a guy who was bitten on the bum seven times by a brown recluse.

'Swhat he gets for sitting on it I suppose.

BTW if you ever want some serious gross factor in your day, do a google image search for 'brown recluse bite'. Untreated they are nasty, nasty, nasty.
Drachen Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #5113
Billtrumpet25
Gaze upon my shih-tzu powers!

Billtrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
LOL.

Got 2 rejections today.

FROM SUBMISSIONS MADE ALMOST A YEAR AGO!!!!!!

on a completely different project.

amazing.
Well, they were sure speedy Gonzales-es (spelling?) weren't they?

War of the Wizard (Book 1): undergoing editing

The Wizard's Curse (Book 2): 60% complete

"The Dark Ages: Life With a Bipolar (WIP-narrative nonfiction of my experiences with my bipolar dad, and how to deal with the bp dis.'s turbulence.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...45&trk=tab_pro

https://twitter.com/BillFitzgibbons
Billtrumpet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #5114
redneckballerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollymilton View Post
Oof.
Also, ballerina, what? Are you OK? Did you need antibiotics? Holy hell.

No news here.
I should be okay ~ thanks for asking! I have to take these amazingly huge pills three times a day, but it looks like the bite is finally starting to calm down. There for a couple of days I thought I was going to turn into a spider-zombie or something. :/ Thank goodness it didn't bite one of my kids.

I had the exterminator come out ~ luckily he didn't find more, but I'm having my house sprayed anyway. *shuddershiver*
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #5115
redneckballerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
I once knew a guy who was bitten on the bum seven times by a brown recluse.

'Swhat he gets for sitting on it I suppose.

BTW if you ever want some serious gross factor in your day, do a google image search for 'brown recluse bite'. Untreated they are nasty, nasty, nasty.
OMG, 7 times?? I am now going to obsess about checking where I sit. :P

And I don't need to google it... I have a pretty good view when I look in the mirror. :/ Fortunately, I got on antibiotics quick enough the doctor doesn't think there will be too much damage. I'll have a helluva scar and a nasty story to tell, though.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #5116
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It was hiding in an outhouse.

Heck of a scar does not begin to describe what you'd have if you survived an untreated brown recluse bite. Basically it completely destroys a little larger than a golfball-sized chunk of flesh which is just gone, like it was burned away with acid or something.
Drachen Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #5117
Robbie
You'll have to do better than that

Robbie is on a distinguished road
15th rejection of the year so far for me. Haha getting used to it now!
Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #5118
JBuck
practical experience, FTW

JBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admiration
Is a brown recluse anything like a huntsman spider?
*shudders in sympathy for redneckballerina*
JBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #5119
Hathor

I'm counting myself lucky now I don't have spiders in the house. The crickets must kill them.

We can't figure out how they get in or why they love our house. But they're big honking things. I used to tell my kids these were their pets. They're supposed to be lucky, right?

Maybe this is why my MIL never wants to stay with us...
Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #5120
Beckstah
Zen-ish

Beckstah is a shiny, shiny jewelBeckstah is a shiny, shiny jewel
YIKES. So glad you're okay, redneckballerina!! Good thing you got it treated nice and quickly.

Insect bites are the worst. I was visiting my parents in the South a couple summers ago and a centipede got into my bed. Turns out their bites are extremely painful! You learn something new every day.
Beckstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #5121
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Carleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolness
Can we not talk about spiders anymore? I'm a major arachnaphobe. This isn't working for me.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #5122
pollymilton
please hold....

wait, wait! One more story! once over the course of 2 days I got like 25 bites around my waist, etc. could not figure it out. Finally vacuumed sofa where I was nursing my daughter at night - and a HUGE spider came out. I killed that motherf^&er with the greatest of pleasure.

There Carleree, I'm done now.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #5123
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Thanks a lot, polly. I just threw up a little in my mouth. Great way to start the day
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #5124
Quickbread
practical experience, FTW

Quickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of light
Hello, agents? Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

(We've got such a centipede infestation, I'm starting to think the little ones are cute.)
Quickbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #5125
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Best friend's agent just rejected my QL after 3 months. I'd already closed it no response.

If you all keep talking about creepy crawlies, I'm deleting my subscription to this thread.